ankle weights? and walking? >

ankle weights? and walking?

Community
Notices

ankle weights? and walking?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
FitDay Member

Default ankle weights? and walking?

Does wearing ankle weights while doing normal household things really help, in toning and in burning more calories?
I'm thinking of investing in a pair if they would really be helpful, atleast till I can rearrange my schedule enough to start working out on a regular basis.

Also would it be helpful at all if I can only get about 30-60 minutes of walking in atleast to start out with. I'm only off work 1 day a week for a while and go from about 6am-1am as it is. But I'm really needing to lose weight and get in shape.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
FitDay Member

I think every little thing you can do will help. In the case of ankle/wrist weights (or even a weighted vest) it can really add some resistance to the activities you normally do. It might be a little exhausting at first, but think of how easy all those chores and work will be once you have a set-aside workout time and all the weights come off!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

I have ankle weights and they seem to be helping. I usually put them on for a certain amount of time every day, usually an hour or so while I'm cooking or doing housework. They sort of feel like socks, so sometimes I forget that I have them on and end up wearing them much longer than I intended, and when that happens I can always feel it the next day. So I'm certain my muscles are getting something from it. At the very least it's a bit of exercise that doesn't take time out of my busy day.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

The ankle weights are a decent addition to your healthy lifestyle but I don't think they can supplement actual real intense exercise. Your legs are very strong and 2-5 pounds of extra weight doesn't do a whole lot except slow you down, and may actually decrease intensity.

If you are limited on time try taking just 20 min walks and incorporate some high intensity intervals into that walking routine. And bodyweight resistance training is very effective and can be done mostly at home.

When thinking about exercise always think quality not quantity.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

I especally use the ankle weight when doing bw worouts whe ya cant hold DB's
Old 10-29-2014, 05:09 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lilnesmom
Does wearing ankle weights while doing normal household things really help, in toning and in burning more calories?
I'm thinking of investing in a pair if they would really be helpful, atleast till I can rearrange my schedule enough to start working out on a regular basis.

Also would it be helpful at all if I can only get about 30-60 minutes of walking in atleast to start out with. I'm only off work 1 day a week for a while and go from about 6am-1am as it is. But I'm really needing to lose weight and get in shape.

Thanks in advance.
Ankle weights would definitely help, I use them all the time!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Ankle weights always helps in this and other cases with the same problem
Old 01-15-2015, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

With due respect to all of the views above, I sense it won’t make much difference. However it can if you make use of the ankle weights properly; most of the people don’t move about much during household work. Although if you move a lot and feel tired way more than your usual routine, then it’s surely making some difference.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

i'm really sceptical that ankle weights will be a help. Your clothes probably weigh more than a couple of pounds.
Walking for 20 minutes a day is great, and has been proven to decrease problems with diabetes etc and increase your fitness. Wearing a heavy coat in winter is probably a good idea too. Stick a few kilos in a rucksack if you think it might help.
exercise is not a great way to lose weight, but it is a good way to get fitter. You don't need a set of pink weights - just get walking.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 AM
Banned

Really good job, Keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.