Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default Ways to exercise that don't require much people interaction, or money?

I'm trying to lose about 25 pounds, I've made diet changes that seem to be making a sound difference. Cut out the sodas/snack cakes, added vegetables/fruits, and drastically reduced the amount of breads I'm eating. Oh, and lots of water since that seems to taste better than the sodas.

I've got a bit of a social phobia, I can (and do) get out and walk around town but I don't think I'd do well in a gym with a number of people in a small closed area. I'm also on a rather limited budget which prevents me from buying any exercise machines/weights/etc, and I realize that can complicate things. Right now I'm getting in 2+ miles of walking or 4+ miles of biking in each day, I'm feeling good about upping those to 3 and 5 since I'm looking for a bit of a challenge.

I'm hoping someone can offer an idea or two on things I could add alongside my walking to help get things moving. I can't run without pain, I was a pedestrian hit by a drunk driver a few years back and my knee was messed up a bit and the impact in running causes too much pain. Otherwise I don't really have any serious physical limitations.

I would greatly welcome any advice or suggestions on any exercise I can try to get in, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
rking12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member

There's lots of free exercise sites on youtube! Here are a few low impact suggestions to help get you started.

Walking Workouts by Jessica Smith
Beginner Workouts by Jessica Smith
10 Minutes or Less by FitnessBlender
Low Impact Cardio/Beginner Toning Workouts by FitnessBlender

If it turns out you don't like this type of exercise, I truly believe just begin consistent and even upping your walking and biking distances will get you results! It sounds like you're already off to a great start by cleaning up your diet and adding in some activity! Awesome job!

"Never give up on a dream because of the time it will take to accomplish it."

Starting Weight - 143 lbs (3/Sept/13)
Current Weight - 136.6lbs (22/Aug/14)
Short Term Goal - 133.6lbs (29/Aug/14)
Goal Weight - 114 lbs (aiming for 31/Dec/14!!)
lildebbieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I took a quick look at each and a lot of those look simple enough. I'll try some and see how it goes.
rking12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default Low-impact, low-cost workout suggestions

Hi @rking12345678!! Great job You're doing so well with your diet changes and disciplined exercise.

I agree that you will likely see some good results by upping the intesity/disance of your current walking and biking routine. But it is a good idea to change things up from time to time so that you work different muscle groups. This usually maximizes your results as well.

I'd recommend working in some yoga and resistance band training. You don't have to leave your home to do these things. I often use instructional yoga videos online (netflix & youtube) or do a resistance band routine in my house on the days that I don't jog. I got a wall-mount band from iShopAria.com, but you can find other types online or at a sporting goods store as well.

Keep up the good work
Dumbell-a22 is offline   Reply With Quote