Advice for lower Abdominals and Oblique >

Advice for lower Abdominals and Oblique

Community
Notices

Advice for lower Abdominals and Oblique

Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Advice for lower Abdominals and Oblique

Do anybody have any effective obliques and lower abdominal workouts. I am 260 lbs and i want to 230 by August 27,2010.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

For lower abs, lie down on the floor. Prop your upper body up onto your elbows, then raise your legs off the ground. Hold this position for as long as you can. Alternately, you can raise and lower your legs like "reps," and count off as many as you can do.

For obliques, I like to do windmills. Stand with your feet about double-shoulder-width apart, and then reach down toward your right foot with your right hand while reaching your left hand toward the sky. Without using your hands for support, use your obliques to pull yourself back upright. Do the same on the other side.

Abdominal work is great, but you won't be able to see the fruits of your labor until you lose the fat covering it. For the moment you should be focusing on moderate-intensity cardio and total-body weight work-outs. That will lower the total level of fat in your body and create noticeable visual changes over time. Then you can focus on individual muscle groups.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Tandoori's suggestion are spot on!! The first two exercises that came to my mind. They are VERY effective and also brings up the heart rate.

Some more ideas: Holding weights in hand, stabilize your stance in wide but slight (horse) stance and box (straight punches, upper cuts) alternating fast and slow movements.

Bicycle: Flat on back, lift knees to 90 deg angle, lift head to crunch position and bicycle. Alternating fast and slow, as well. I've also noticed that working past the burn as long as u can stand it, makes me more sore. This one hits ALL areas of stomach!!

A variation on the leg lifts: One back, lift legs and torso off the ground, straightening as much as you can without losing balance. Hold that and clap hands over head (100 Xs), then clap hands over abdomen (100 X's or as many as you can stand). Then repeat except with legs bent in 90 deg angle, this targets upper abs, though.

Lastly, sorry so many, but they keep coming to mind Regular old sit up, except punch punch (opponent on either side of u) across your body as you come up.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
For lower abs, lie down on the floor. Prop your upper body up onto your elbows, then raise your legs off the ground. Hold this position for as long as you can. Alternately, you can raise and lower your legs like "reps," and count off as many as you can do.
I like that one! Trying it tonight!