Too much cardio? >

Too much cardio?

Community
Notices

Too much cardio?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Too much cardio?

Hi guys. A little over a month ago I started a reasonable diet. Cut out sweets, sodas, and unhealthy snack foods. Replaced them with loads of fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as home cooked meals. I am in no way starving myself.

Two weeks ago I started a gym membership. Day 1 and I was winded walking from the parking lot to the gym. Since then I've been working extremely hard and my endurance has gone through the roof. My typical day goes like this: 10 minutes on the stationary bike for a warm-up. 30 minutes of resistance training, during which I hit all my muscle groups. 2 sets of 12-15 reps. After that I hit the elliptical for at least one solid hour. No stops. No resting. One solid hour with my heart rate up to about 153. I'm 31, by the way. I only do the weights every other day, but I try to get cardio in as many days as I can throughout the week. So probably about 5 days of cardio.

I'm new to weight loss and exercise. I feel GREAT. I mean fantastic. I'm never short of breath or exhausted while on the elliptical. I don't feel like I'm straining too hard. That being said, could it be counter-productive? I want to lose weight AND put on some muscle. Is there such a thing as doing too much cardio? By the end of a workout I usually have about 800+ calories burned, which means I'm well under my allotted daily calorie limit to reach my weight-loss goals in time.

Last edited by jtgribs; 03-31-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I bet that if you told your doctor this, he'd have the office staff give you a standing ovation. So, tell him, and see what he has to say.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for those kind words. I feel great. It's so nice to eat dinner with no regrets because I know it's healthy and I know spent a good hour or two in the gym and I've earned it. I don't think I've ever been happier.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 PM
FitDay Member

Yes but if you don't feel too tired doing it but the one side effect of a lot of cardio, especially high intensity, is a loss in muscle,. So i thinks Too much cardio is not good ,.

Orange County Boot Camp

Last edited by GlennMarsh; 05-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

Actually, you are only doing 1 hour of cardio 5 days a week, which is the recommendation for weight loss, so no, I don't think it's too much, especially at your age. The rest of your exercise, warm up and weights, does not count as cardio. Just watch that you don't burn out. You could try doing upper body one day and lower body the next, and therefore doing some weight training every day. And don't skip 2 days in a row.

Good luck