Notices

Walking to Lose Weight?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Walking to Lose Weight?

I always thought that losing weight involved high-impact, cardio exercises. Now I've been reading that walking is a great way to lose weight slowly. By losing it slowly, you'll keep it off.

I've read several sources on this, including Mayo Clinic's, and here is what I gathered on this:

1) A balanced, healthy diet is key and should be coupled with the exercise.

2) Try to walk briskly and perhaps challenge yourself when you can (little hills, etc.).

3) You can start with 30 minutes a day, but build up to 60 minutes. Try to be consistent.

4) Don't forget to do some sort of resistance work (crunches, lunges, weights, etc.)

Of course, walking can be incorporated into a more vigorous exercise routine and it seems like a great thing to do when you want to "rest."

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Has anyone hear had success losing weight through walking? What have you done? What are the best times to walk? etc.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

Years ago...like 15 years ago...I lost 10 pounds in 3months by following weight watchers and walking daily for around 60 minutes. That was the only exercise I did! They say the best time of day to exercise is the time of day that's easiest for you to be consistent with. Back then, evenings worked best for me but these days I need to get my workout in first thing in the morning. Walking is great exercise!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LChang3
I'd like to hear your thoughts. Has anyone hear had success losing weight through walking? What have you done? What are the best times to walk? etc.
Hello, good morning

When I started dieting, I eat a balanced diet first two months since I started walking, then complemented with weight exercises, such as dumbbells, crunches, leg exercises.
Then I started to ride rollers, the result is much like walking.
Perdes weight slowly but then you can keep it.
It is best to walk in the afternoon or in the morning when the sun already, then you can encourage start running.

regards
Lola
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

walking is so good for you it's amazing. i know some people will criticize this but eventually i want a treadmill in my living room so i can walk while i watch tv.

i just saw this about 17 reasons to walk more: 17 Health Benefits of Walking | Mark's Daily Apple
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
FitDay Member

Walking is a great form of exercise for people who have never done any form of exercise or gym workouts. Just start out walking as long as you can then increase the length of your walk and speed up the pace. There's a lot of debates going on now about whether walking burns more calories that jogging. Walking can be just as effective as jogging if you walk at a faster pace for a longer period. And your less prone to injury through walking.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up weight lose

Yes Running is a better exercise for weight lose.

I always thought that losing weight involved high-impact, cardio exercises. Now I've been reading that walking is a great way to lose weight slowly. By losing it slowly, you'll keep it off.

I've read several sources on this, including Mayo Clinic's, and here is what I gathered on this:

2) Try to walk briskly and perhaps challenge yourself when you can (little hills, etc.).

3) You can start with 30 minutes a day, but build up to 60 minutes. Try to be consistent.

4) Don't forget to do some sort of resistance work (crunches, lunges, weights, etc.)

Of course, walking can be incorporated into a more vigorous exercise routine and it seems like a great thing to do when you want to "rest."

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by erinanda78
walking is so good for you it's amazing. i know some people will criticize this but eventually i want a treadmill in my living room so i can walk while i watch tv.

i just saw this about 17 reasons to walk more: 17 Health Benefits of Walking | Mark's Daily Apple
I'm with you on wanting a treadmill in my living room. I know I would be on it everyday getting in miles. Plus I like how some of them have programs that challenge you.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

First you must be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. ANY exercise that puts you in a deficit is helpful to lose weight. You can lose weight by dieting alone but there are many benifits to adding exercise to you daily/weekly routine. The least amount of change to your normal routine that provides the most weight lose is the best route as you will most likely stick to it. As an example instead of eating at a 1000cal deficit or exercising to put you in a 1000cal deficit eat at a 500cal deficit and burn 500cal though exercise.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 PM
FitDay Member

it may be better to use a treadmill, in one hour can burn a lot of calories

Last edited by Kathy13118; 04-06-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Banned

I am one of the people who have problems with weight, walking afternoon for 30 minutes was my routine every day and was able to lose my weight quickly, in addition to running outdoors I also used to use the treadmill. please try this may also work with you.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 04-06-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.