Notices

Feeling sick after weight training

Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Feeling sick after weight training

Hi Guys & Gals...!!

I know this is a long post but please read it through as I’m hoping maybe someone out there may have some answers for me on what’s going on.

I’m a 42 year old male who has recently decided to get in good shape. I’m 6’0 tall and currently weigh 260lbs. What I’m trying to achieve is a toned “cut” look. I’m eating lean meats (mostly grilled chicken), eggs, nuts and complex carbs mostly in the form of veggies. I also drink plenty of water and am using “Muscle Milk” shakes pre and post work outs. My body I notice doesn’t do well with breads, grains, and pastas (even the wheat or “brown”types) as they make me gain weight quickly. I also eat Kashi Go Lean cereal which is in high protein & fiber but not fat, and I eat it with 1 cup of almond milk which has a lot of nutrients including lots of calcium.

I have been told by coaches in high school and personal trainers in the past that I have a “V” shaped body type, perfect for weight lifting. I have also been told I am big boned. Even though I am 260lbs, most people think I weigh less. Most of my weight is concentrated in my belly, man boobs, and love handles. Everything below my belt is very toned (most likely because of years of carrying weight on me – I used to weigh 315 lbs).

I started my program last Thursday 9/5 and began with 2 days of cardio (45 min elliptical workouts with varying intensity) before I started my resistance training on 9/7.

The resistance program that I am using is here -
My first weight training session went really good. I did the exercises and figured out what weight felt appropriate (not too much, not too little). During my work out I was drinking Mio Fit (B Vitamins and Electrolytes mixed with water). I drank my muscle milk shake before and after the workout and also did 20 minutes of cardio after lifting, stretched and then called it a day. I did have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) 24 hours after the workout which lasted for 48 hours. During the following 2 days I did my cardio routine that I mentioned above.

Yesterday 9/10 my muscle soreness wasn’t too bad so I decided to hit the gym for my resistance training. I was really pumped up as I had received some good news earlier in the day and was looking forward to a good workout. I did not drink my muscle milk before working out but I did eat a full bowl of Kashi Go Lean (2 servings) about 1.5 hours before the workout. I also ate about 40-60 peanuts earlier in the day and that was all I had to eat. I grabbed my Mio Fit and squirted into 32 Fl. Oz. of water and hit the gym. In al honestly I was so pumped up for my workout that I blasted out 10 mins on the elliptical to get warmed up and then hit the resistance training. I honestly did more than the normal 2 sets that I usually do. I didn’t increase the weights any higher than I did from my first workout but I did do in some cases up to 4 sets of between 10-15 reps on my different body parts. Part of this was due to the machines that I used the first time being busy and trying different machines (i.e. – The chest press machine I used on Day 1 was busy so I used a different bench press machine and did 2 sets of 10 reps on it and didn’t like it so I used a different bench press machine and did another 2 sets of 20 on that one). This happened with a few of the machines as it was really busy in the gym so I was doing extra sets because I was testing out different machines. Everything was fine until I got about 70% of the way through my workout and I started feeling dizzy after completing my sets (this started happening as I was doing the bench press exercises and continued through the rest of my workout). I was trying to stay within in the 30-60 second rest periods per set and 1-2 minutes rest between different exercises as per the routine. I pushed myself to finish the end of my workout and by the time I finished it I felt really sick. Keep in mind that I was drinking my Mio Fit drink all throughout the workout (B Vitamins & Electrolytes) and was finished with all 32 ounces by the end of my lifting. By the time I was done I felt dizzy, nauseated, and felt like I was going to pass out. I went to the elliptical to do my 20 minutes of cardio post lifting and felt like I was in a “zombie/dream state” in my head. I couldn’t shake the feeling of light headedness, dizziness, and feeling like I was going to drop. Even climbing the stairs to go up to the cardio room felt really weird. I got on the elliptical machine and did 5 minutes and then stopped because I felt like I was going to pass out. I decided to just go home. I did a quick stretching routine and then left the gym. On the drive home I couldn’t concentrate. I felt like I was going to pass out and felt dizzy. I also felt sick to my stomach and thought I was going to puke. When I got home I drank my Muscle milk shake and felt a little better afterwards. I ate a bowlful of Kashi Go lean and almond milk and then sat on the couch and just rested. My heart was still beating strong and somewhat fast in my chest. After about 30 mins of rest I felt a lot better but not 100%. I still felt out of it and I had a mild headache. I ate grilled chicken, veggies, and cottage cheese for dinner. I went to bed still feeling kinda out if it with a mild headache. I woke up this morning with the same headache and still feel kinda out of it. I am debating on going to the gym and doing cardio (since this is my cardio day) or just resting.

I am wondering if any of you fitness pros can tell what your opinion is on what you think happened / is happening to me. I read somewhere that Gatorade powder mixed with water is good at replenishing carbs while working out. Did I not have enough “fuel” in my system? Did I not eat enough? Did I over do it? Why am I still feeling out of it the next day after sleeping 8 hours? What's up with the lingering headache?

Also I have experienced only very mild muscle soreness so far.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks..!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-16-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Links removed
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default strange...

it certainly sounds like you overdid it that day. the question is whether or not you felt similarly in subsequent workouts. can you provide an update?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Track your food here then come visit us on BodyBuilding.com. Look for the over 35 section ( O35 ).

Your diet is your most important thing to get in check at this point........ most people are clueless .

You prolly ran out of fuel . I get sick if that happens. I eat 600-1000 cal of carbs/protein based meals before workouts and I only weigh 159.

Take the time to learn because the things you think you know will just hold back your progression.

Not sure if there is a way to look at my diet on here. If there is check it out. My intake is close to 3k per day but Im gaining.

I wish you the best of luck.