Notices

weight watchers

Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default weight watchers

I really enjoy weight watchers. They have really helped me over the years learn how to eat healthy and what that means. The only troubles I have is being HUNGRY and sometimes I cant afford my meetings!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by crysthnd
I really enjoy weight watchers. They have really helped me over the years learn how to eat healthy and what that means. The only troubles I have is being HUNGRY and sometimes I cant afford my meetings!

I have never done weight watchers so I have no idea what you are allowed to eat (I guess it's for points?) but I have been restricting my cals since Dec and am rarely hungry. In fact, it seems like the few times I was hungry is days I ate high carbs. So even though I am not restricting my carbs, I am generally staying away from pasta, rice, bread etc..............because they make me hungry. Maybe that is the issue? I know that you should not be suffering from hunger.

There is lots of free services and support on line. For instance, on these forums. I don't know if that's as good as a meeting but it's something and it is free.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

I won't join WW because they promote using cooking oils. My doctor is against using any cooking oils at all. They call it "healthy oil," it's all bottled fat. They also allow meat and dairy, my doctor is also against that.

I'm down 12.1 pounds for the first month of my vegan diet, so it's working for me where WW didn't. Plus I don't have an annoying monthly bill to pay.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Weight Watchers

I have had success with Weight Watchers and in the beginning I was also hungry. What helped me is the types of foods I was eating. I tried to keep a balanced plate and have enough protein to keep me from feeling hungry. Also, it was important to drink the 7-8 glasses of water - that helped me feel full. And finally, adding in exercising allowed me to balance out if I was adding additional healthy snacks. Just like logging food in FitDay - if you are staying within a calorie range - it factors in the calories you burn during exercising.

So the main thing in Weight Watchers is to be sure you log all you eat AND exercise to see exactly where, when, your points are going.

Good Luck.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

I've joined weight watchers in the past and enjoyed it. Like you, one of my main issues was not wanting to pay for meetings!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hungry?

I have been on WW a few times, and have always left due to finances, so I know how that goes. I joined the first time at the very beginning of the “Points Plus” program (Jan of ’11), so I don’t know any of the old programs. I know that there were a lot of members who didn’t like the change because the points were calculated differently (not just calories or fat).

The things that I noticed most were:

1. If I don’t get enough protein in the morning, I am hungry all day, no matter what I ate, or how much of it.

2. Until recently, a lot of my protein was in the form of dairy products (especially cheese and Greek yogurt). WW harps on how great ff products are, but they are so processed that you don’t get the physical satiety that you would get from whole, or even low fat versions.

3. Nuts and nut butters are my friend…also discouraged because of fat content. I have found that they really work for me, as long as I keep portion sizes in mind. (Jiff has the new single serving containers, although they are actually 1.5 servings, they are still really handy, and a great portable protein for celery sticks or apples). The nuts and nut butters work well for me because I’m on the go a lot, and they don’t need refrigeration.

4. Don’t forget the free produce! If you are hungry between meals, grab a piece of fruit to munch on while you’re doing something to take your mind off of your next scheduled meal. I find grazing to be easier than specified meal times because my schedule is so sporadic, but if I am hungry at the end of my points day, I find that doing something that requires my hands and mind to be actively involved helps keep my hunger at bay. I will eat mindlessly in front of the TV or the computer, but if I’m physically holding a book while I’m reading it, I don’t have the impulse to reach for food.

5. If you’ve become more active than you were before starting the program, you will be burning more calories, and will have an increased appetite. Remember to keep track of the points you earn through activity just like you do for the foods you eat. Don’t feel bad about using them, that’s what they are there for. If you don’t want to use the activity points, at least use the weekly points, they are there to help keep you from feeling deprived.

6. Back to protein… it burns slower, so you stay full longer. I’ve just started a palio eating plan, and have noticed that the reduction in carbs has really helped me. I fall back on the quick snacks (pb with apples or celery, hummus with veggies or pita chips, etc.)

7. Although I know all the principals of how the program works, if I don’t attend meetings, I don’t stay on program. The community support is a big factor for most people who are making a lifestyle change to become healthier. I’m not on line regularly enough to make a site like this a good choice for moral support, so the weekly meetings are extra important to me. Since I don’t want to have any money automatically taken from a bank account, I choose to pay cash. They have a choice between paying by the week, and paying for a block of weeks all at once (in my area that’s 20 weeks, and I save $2 per week by having the pass).

Good luck on your journey
Old 09-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

I have saved all my WW booklets, pamphlets, etc. Recently, I started using the OLD points system. Not points plus, just the previous system that gave you a little slide rule thingy - I have several of those things.

I really love WW. They give you so much freedom - you can avoid this kind of oil, eat this much protein, eat a piece of cake or pie, but you do have to count it.

So why do the slide rule thingy? I am extremely aware of fiber and if I want to 'indulge' in anything, it will be fiber. I always look for it in nutrition information for an item. The slide ruler thingy uses it when calculating points, and I like that (the Points Plus program also uses it, but you're not so actively involved in seeing the calculation).

I am also appreciating the way I keep one number in my head (the daily limit for my points), keeping track of single digit numbers is easy and the counting is easy. I use fitday but I also count points now.

So far, it feels nice to be back on points. The Points Plus program does give you the incentive to 'indulge' in fruits and vegetables and I liked that a lot, but the points system is even simpler for me. And it works - which is the most important thing.

All those pamphlets, etc... so glad I held on to them. WW covers all bases, it seems, when it comes to motivation and encouragement to move your body more, set goals, and they help with coping strategies.

Best tip I have used again and again: rehearsing how I will deal with a difficult situation I know is coming up. If all else fails, I know I will use my 'bonus points' I get for the week, because I never use them unless I think I absolutely must, and then I just enjoy them...
Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

I'm finally back on Weight Watchers after being successful with it over 10 years ago, when I lost 30 lbs. Over time, I put back on about 18 of those pounds and now I'm ready to lose those plus another 12 for another 30 lbs. It only took me roughly 6 months to do it, which is a fair amount of time to lose weight (and keep off). I don't work out, though I do go for 1/2 hour walk about 3x a week and do free weights--I do try and stay active rather than sedentary though I'm sitting for most of my day @ work. I don't bank any points for activity though and I should mention--I'm doing the same WW program that I did 10 years ago, which I believe was called either Weight Watchers 1-2-3 or Winning Points--one or the other. I'm not counting protein, there's no way I'm not counting points in some fruits/vegs, and I'm not banking some ridiculous number of points per week either. I just started on Thursday and by Sunday I was down 2 lbs. Weight Watchers works if you are truly disciplined with the points counting (which if you are a creature of habit and eat a lot of the same foods, shouldn't be a problem). Would love to hear from anyone else doing the program, especially dinner ideas and recipes...thanks!!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

All those pamphlets, etc... so glad I held on to them. WW covers all bases, it seems, when it comes to motivation and encouragement to move your body more, set goals, and they help with coping strategies.
Those little booklets are the best! So helpful. I had mine for so long but lost them in my many moves...wish I still had them!