Notices

Avoiding Type 2 Diabetes

Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Avoiding Type 2 Diabetes

My fasting blood sugar has been the same for the last 20 years, and I was alwyas considered healthy. Now that I'm in my 60s, my MD has decided I was prediabetic. He advised to go on a 1200-1600 calorie diabetic diet to avoid progressing to Type 2 Diabetes. Does anyone know a site to get some good diabetic diet menues/recipes?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
FitDay Member

American Diabetes Association Home Page - American Diabetes Association

This is the website for the American Diabetes Association. Lots of great food and fitness info there.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

If you are pre-diabetic the number that a Dr uses is A1C which looks at the level of your blood gluose for the past 3 months. I'm diabetic and while my Dr does a fasting glucose he isn't quite as concerned with that number as the average. Do you know what your A1C is?

For a diabetic it's more important to cut back on carbs and exercise. Recommended amount is at least 30min 5x a week. Don't forget to drink lots of water as well as it flushes out the sugar.

Jennifer
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
FitDay Member

thank you both.

My Dr hasn't done an A1C level yet, because my blood sugar was only "a little high," but I would really like one to see how I am doing overall the longer term. I intend to ask him about it again when I see him this week.

Yehudit
Old 06-01-2013, 02:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Diabetic diets aren't

I watched a program last evening where a child was T1 diabetic and her Mom had her weighing bread, etc. to see how much she could have, according to the diabetic diet. From what I can see, the 'diet' just maintains her BG along with injected insulin. My uncle is also T2 diabetic and he watches to not overdo the bread, etc. so as to keep BG at bay. Why not just cut out all high GI foods and have a nourishing foodway that is anti-diabetic?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
FitDay Member

Default Switch to Low GI foods

Originally Posted by yehudit45
My fasting blood sugar has been the same for the last 20 years, and I was alwyas considered healthy. Now that I'm in my 60s, my MD has decided I was prediabetic. He advised to go on a 1200-1600 calorie diabetic diet to avoid progressing to Type 2 Diabetes. Does anyone know a site to get some good diabetic diet menues/recipes?
Hi there! Here's a great site: Diabetes Diet and Food Tips: Eating to Prevent and Control Diabetes

I highly recommend you look at trying more low gi foods that release sugars into the blood slowly. I'd also suggest going for a walk every day.

Blessings