Notices

Keto/Low carb diet. is it working?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Smile first travel trip on low carb

Im a little worried about going out of town while on this low carb mode. I was wondering if anyone has a low carb protien bar that they would recomend that i could bring with me in case im in a pinch. Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

First choice is to eat real food.
- bring a jar of coconut oil
- jerky
- chicken or ceasar salad
- fast food burger no bread

Make you own bar
Ultimate Protein Bar - Perfect Macro-Nutrient Balance | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

or
Quest Protein bar link removed

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 06-14-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

I believe that you have to consume between 50 to 100 gr. of carbohydrates to loose weight and between 100 and 150 to keep your weight.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Low carb/ no carb is very very bad for you

I can't believe people are still doing this: low carb/ no carb diets.

It is *NOT* sustainable.

Carbohydrates are the only fuel source for many vital organs such as the brain, central nervous system and kidneys.

Why are you avoiding carbs? Did you know that carbohydrates and fats actually HELP you lose weight? Perhaps it is better if you look at a healthy balanced diet of LOW GI foods and incorporate exercise into your schedule?

Evidence:
* http://theconversation.com/mondays-m...se-weight-8711
* http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...s-not-no-carbs

Last edited by AutumnSadie; 05-31-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Adding research to support position
Old 06-01-2013, 03:11 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey, me again AutumnSadie- Ketones, say from the MCT in coconut oil, are likely superior brain food that carbs.If fact, ketones help people with Alzheimer's to retrieve neuronal function. Check out Dr. Mary Newport's work (paediatrician in Florida). As you know carbs turn to glucose once ingested, but if a person doesn't take in carbs, the amazing body produces glucose from proteins we ingest! And if we include offal (NOT my personal go-to foods), we can get many nutrients (and carbs) that you'd need a truckload of greens to emulate.
I do see the 0 to very low carbs as a problem for some, but not all, people. It is a problem for me I am sure. Your suggestion re low GI foods and exercise is 'spot on'!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AiliElaine
Ketones, say from the MCT in coconut oil, are likely superior brain food that carbs.If fact, ketones help people with Alzheimer's to retrieve neuronal function.... As you know carbs turn to glucose once ingested, but if a person doesn't take in carbs, the amazing body produces glucose from proteins we ingest!
Hi AiliElaine (again). So basically you're suggesting these diets work because they initiate the body's starvation response? When the body struggles to find carbohydrates to metabolize into glucose, it heads for glycogen, then fats.... and finally when the body is in the 4-7 days of starvation (also known as "WTF-where-are-may-carbs-for-energy"), it starts to process ketone bodies to make glucose from protein.

I understand early Man had periods of starvation, when food was scarce, so it could be sustainable for a short time. But to assume one can function in an ongoing healthy state without ample carbs is ludicrous.

Once the early Man had the period of starvation (finding a new food source), they'd eat more and stack on the fat (and unlike modern diet-followers, they'd be totally cool with that). The post-starvation/ no-low-carb diet response in the body is to store fats for a future starvation period. So when the dieters come off the diet, they gain weight- reinforcing that the diet worked!!! Argh. It's biochemistry, peeps. Dieting is just NOT a good idea, and especially not taking out carbs or reducing them to 50g a day!

Reducing carbs and fats and salt is advisable for the obese population, but not to the point of starvation.

All dieting really does is give a person back the control they so much desire in their life. The issue is not really physical/ weight-focused. It is more about a person's emotional health and wellbeing. When a person is depressed or dissatisfied in their life, it will be reflected in their behaviours and traits.... especially involving their bodies. Maybe that's smoking, over-eating, under-eating, or risk taking...

We need to do away with diets and help people with their feeling states.

And if we include offal (NOT my personal go-to foods), we can get many nutrients (and carbs) that you'd need a truckload of greens to emulate.
Yep, as is liver. One of the reasons I believe vegans and vegetarians often seem quite thin and pale. I'm not a fan of meat myself, but I do make my own pâté to get those nutrients in (especially on period time).

I do see the 0 to very low carbs as a problem for some, but not all, people.
Perhaps this needs to be researched as per ecto/ meso/endo-morph body types?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 PM
FitDay Member

Have you considered the link removed? I lost 27kgs on that diet and have managed to keep it off months later. I've never felt more energetic, more vibrant and happier. I look great and the diet is simple and balanced, so I've not had to deal with nasty side-effects. Check it out!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 06-14-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 07-21-2018, 12:02 AM
FitDay Member

Ketogenic or low carb-high fat diet is currently taking the world by storm! Believe me, it works magically! I went on this diet like last year after a friend suggested to me seeing my growing bulky frame. I loved it, because who doesn't love cheese & stuff like that It worked for me & now I have a rather healthy & petite body. However, I know a few people whose body didn't react as expected. They did not think of quitting, but they took help of natural & effective weight loss supplements. Some of them that support ketosis, functions to burn extra fat naturally. If not by the usual means, this might be a savior whose those, in need.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

I just started Carnivore diet last week after being LCHF for several years. I'm post menopausal and although I wasn't gaining, I sure wasn't losing. Watched Jordan Peterson, my hero, and he spoke about going Carnivore around December 2017 (I think). He lost 50 lbs and found his depression lessened. Watch him on Joe Rogan.

Anyway, I'm keeping track of my food here and we'll see how it goes. After about the 5th day, I started noticing a sense of well being.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 PM
FitDay Member

Yes it is working. A keto or ketogenic diet is a very low-carb diet, which twists the body into a fat-burning machine.