Notices

% vitamins ans minerals?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM
FitDay Member

Default % vitamins ans minerals?

Hello,

I was just trying to create a food log and was wondering what the % means for the food and minerals.

When I try to create a custom food, I simply read the amount in microgram or milligram on the package and divide it by 30g, which is the portion. However that gives me results similar to 0.0000006%, with many decimal points, which makes me suspect that it's not actually a % composition that they're talking about.

Any ideas what those percentages mean???

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by psot2
Hello,

I was just trying to create a food log and was wondering what the % means for the food and minerals.

When I try to create a custom food, I simply read the amount in microgram or milligram on the package and divide it by 30g, which is the portion. However that gives me results similar to 0.0000006%, with many decimal points, which makes me suspect that it's not actually a % composition that they're talking about.

Any ideas what those percentages mean???

Thanks in advance.
The percentage is how much of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) is fulfilled by that food, based on a 2000 calorie diet.

The current RDAs can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recomme...s_and_minerals