Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 06-15-2012, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

If you look at the crossfit endurance site they have a forum that can help you eat paleo and still train for distance. Basically you maintain the paleo diet and you add something like sweet potatoes as your carb. They are lower in the glycemic scale than most other carbs and won't cause any problems, especially if you are hitting an hour plus several days a week getting ready for a half marathon. A lot of my navy friends and I eat this way and we have very little issues. Just make sure you maintain paleo all the way through, if you add carbs for energy for your race and your stomach isn't used to them it can cause you a bit of distress. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 AM
FitDay Member

I have just started doing Paleo, but I find I have been sooooo tired and I have been putting on weight!!
Im not going to lie...I have been having a few drinks with it being patio season and all, but should I really be feeling this lousy?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

Define a "few" drinks

If you're used to running carbs you may rightly feel a bit tired the first few weeks of going paleo, and the alcohol certainly won't help with that at all. However, with regards to weight gain, are you doing any physical activity? At the end of the day total calories still matter (I'm talking fat/carbs; proteins make things a little more complicated), so watch types of food AND amounts.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Plateau

I have been primal for 9 weeks and lost 18 lbs in the first 6 weeks but for the last three weeks nothing!!! Getting very frustrated
Old 06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
FitDay Member

Wink Plateau

Originally Posted by jaxis
I have been primal for 9 weeks and lost 18 lbs in the first 6 weeks but for the last three weeks nothing!!! Getting very frustrated
18lbs in 6 weeks that's pretty good! Don't beat yourself up, I'm at a plateau too after 4 weeks. For me, it's time to get out the fine toothed comb and go through specific aspects of my eating plan and lifestyle that I can adjust and control. For example, pushing myself too far into getting hungry = DOOM!! Poor choices that I know I can and have to control. I eat a lot of almonds and pepitos for the protein, though I do get concerned about the cholesterol with nuts.

The good thing is, I find the more time I can research my healthy eating plan, the better my motivation is and it keeps the info fresh in my mind. I suggest finding small areas you can control and tweak. As in the business world, if your business becomes stagnant, it ceases. So does your eating choices and lifestyle.
Best wishes!!
Jc
Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

I also ate paleo/primal for a while and lost about 30 pounds / then Christmas hit and boy did I cave in / now I'm recommitting to getting back on track. In the mean time here is an excellent article about weight - specifically with regards to women and the paleo movement. Something to ponder.

thanks!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 08-30-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Read the article. A preferred waist to hip ratio of .70 seems to be a human universal. It was discussed in a few of my anthropology classes. Mentend to prefer curves as a sign of fertility and ease of childbirth in women. No it is not a conscious desire (unless you are aware of it) but it tied to our sexual preferences. Men respond more to curvy women. Of course, every man has his own taste, but regardless of body size and regardless of culture, that ratio tends to hold.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM
FitDay Member

::stands up in the back of the room, waving hand in air::

Yeah, what spollee said! I, too, am interested in others' experiences in this high fat/low carb/paleo/primal thang, as far as what your bloodwork showed over time. Not only shortly after starting the lifestyle & losing some weight, but also further down the road.

Oh, and I too have no insurance - gulp - any relatively inexpensive ways to get bloodwork done?

::blushes at speaking so boldly, and sits back down, almost missing her chair::
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
FitDay Premium Member

It wasn't paleo, but I followed a high fat/high protein/low carb diet for 5 years, and then had a comprehensive physical, and the only abnormality was that the "good cholesterol" was abnormally high and the "bad cholesterol" was very low. My doctor was impressed.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS
It wasn't paleo, but I followed a high fat/high protein/low carb diet for 5 years, and then had a comprehensive physical, and the only abnormality was that the "good cholesterol" was abnormally high and the "bad cholesterol" was very low. My doctor was impressed.
Has anyone heard of Barry Groves? He has excellent material on his website. I still struggle with the idea that eating saturated fat is okay.

However when I followed the high fat/low carb principles (two years ago) I initially felt disgusting for two to three days - and then the weight just dropped off me. It was the easiest weight loss I ever experienced. Being a baker I missed cakes and eventually caved in to my old carby lifestyle..or the past year or so. Just weighed myself again have gained it all back plus some. Feel disgusting. Contemplating the HF lifestyle again.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 08-30-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: link removed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.