Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the tip, toledodba25. I'll check out the links. Like you say, it's always good to keep an open mind to new evidence. There's only one area that I'm closed to "new evidence", but I'm not going to mention religion here.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
FitDay Member

Smile New to Paleo

I'm very new to the Paleo way of eating, started 3 days ago. I braced myself fully expecting to feel horrid the first week, but I've felt the opposite so far. I know I'm still very early into my journey, but if I feel this great now then I have very high hopes. I plan to start CrossFit once I lose a little weight to feel comfortable going to the gym (it's a girl thing).
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
FitDay Member

Great to find this thread. I have been doing great on paleo 2.0/primal; but have now hit a sticking point at around 200# (I'm 6'0") and want to get down to around 175. I think I'm eating too many almonds and other nuts. I also used to do well when I first started dieting with a cheat day every weekend, so I am incorporating that again also. One more thing, anyone tried intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast and/or lunch, eating just pm meals). While traditional diets recommend you not skip breakfast, the paleo approach suggests we do just fine skipping some meals, and that hunger is part of our evolution. Just curious if anyone has any experience with any of these, not really looking for all the well-meaning "you need to eat breakfast" responses.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by BobGoblin
Great to find this thread. I have been doing great on paleo 2.0/primal; but have now hit a sticking point at around 200# (I'm 6'0") and want to get down to around 175. I think I'm eating too many almonds and other nuts. I also used to do well when I first started dieting with a cheat day every weekend, so I am incorporating that again also. One more thing, anyone tried intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast and/or lunch, eating just pm meals). While traditional diets recommend you not skip breakfast, the paleo approach suggests we do just fine skipping some meals, and that hunger is part of our evolution. Just curious if anyone has any experience with any of these, not really looking for all the well-meaning "you need to eat breakfast" responses.
First of all, what are your daily carbs looking like? Keep em below 100. You will get more mileage out of that than you will cutting back on nuts or skipping breakfast.

Are you doing sprints? If not, start. If so, take it up a notch. I've found that nothing gets you over those humps like sprinting.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
And fiber lowers cholesterol. So it's not the saturated fat per se, it's the cholesterol you're taking in with that 40 grams of saturated fat every day.

How Fiber Helps Lower Your Cholesterol
There is no need to supplement fiber on a paleo diet. None. You have to take several large leaps of faith to believe you should increase fiber intake when you eat more saturated fat or cholesterol. It's a ridiculous idea.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by owdi
There is no need to supplement fiber on a paleo diet. None. You have to take several large leaps of faith to believe you should increase fiber intake when you eat more saturated fat or cholesterol. It's a ridiculous idea.
Hey Johnny Come Lately, the situation has already been taken care of. And I think "Paleo" is a ridiculous idea, so there.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

The whole fiber/ fat talk is hog wash.
Soluble fiber gets fermented in your intestines/colon and the result is butyric acid, a short chain fatty acid. So feed your gut bacteria and get saturated fat. WHAT? Fat reducing cholesterol? The lipid hypothesis is just that, a hypothesis, not fact. Lots more research is needed.
I have had success eating lots of saturated fat, butter and coconut oil. When I work nights and don’t have to worry about excess gas I supplement with a FOS and probiotics. My cholesterol is better now than before I started paleo.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 AM
FitDay Member

Paul Jaminet, author of Perfect Health Diet, stops by UW Radio to discuss how you can consume a diet that gives you all of the nutrients you need to optimally nourish your body while minimizing dietary toxins:

Perfect Health Diet with Paul Jaminet Ph.D. 01/19 by Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio

Great podcast. I have Jaminet's book sitting on my shelf unread. I can't wait to read it, but I think I have at least 5 books ahead of it, so it's gonna be a while. So many great books, so little time...
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kkotelman
The whole fiber/ fat talk is hog wash...The lipid hypothesis is just that, a hypothesis, not fact. Lots more research is needed...My cholesterol is better now than before I started paleo.
In your opinion it's "hog wash". And the hypothesis has not been proven wrong, has it?

Good for your cholesterol being lower now. Do you know that for a "fact", i.e. you've done blood work? How much lower? And what is your ratio of LDL to HDL and what was it BEFORE?

Although your doctor may have told you to lower your total cholesterol, it's important to raise your high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, which is known as the "good" cholesterol.
HDL cholesterol: How to boost your 'good' cholesterol - MayoClinic.com
Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kkotelman
The whole fiber/ fat talk is hog wash.
Soluble fiber gets fermented in your intestines/colon and the result is butyric acid, a short chain fatty acid. So feed your gut bacteria and get saturated fat. WHAT? Fat reducing cholesterol? The lipid hypothesis is just that, a hypothesis, not fact. Lots more research is needed.
I have had success eating lots of saturated fat, butter and coconut oil. When I work nights and don’t have to worry about excess gas I supplement with a FOS and probiotics. My cholesterol is better now than before I started paleo.
This++

Also, blood cholesterol is a marker for heart disease, not a cause.

If you have an hour to spare, this is a great presentation:
How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.