Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Community
Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
FitDay Member

Hi - I've been reading Sisson's book and some other nutrition books recently (Paleo diet by Loren Cordain, Gut and Psychology syndrome, nutrition and physical degeneration by weston price to name a few) and am starting to move towards a more primal diet. I started by reducing bread this summer (and trying to eat only sourdough when I do) and am cutting out most grains but I still have the occasional piece of bread (just because I was brought up on it and really like it with butter). I have also been reading Stephan Guyenet's blog - whole health source - which is fascinating - he is not quite so extreme as Sisson and Cordain and based on his reading of the scientific literature on nutrition believes that grains (and legumes) are OK in moderation IF prepared properly - soaked, fermented or sprouted (like they are eaten traditionally) - though he does reject wheat because of the gluten. However, in the defence of grains in small quantities, my parents are remarkably healthy and in their 80's and have none of the typical western ailments (cancer, diabetes or CVD) and still eat some bread, cereal, cake and pies. However, most of what they eat otherwise is what they grow in their garden (except meat of course) and my Mom cooks most everything from scratch - they eat a lot of meat and veg meals and usually fruit and either cream or yogurt for dessert. They do not go light on the butter either. My dad still tries to walk around 4 miles a day, sometimes in the hills. So even though I think I might try the primal blueprint diet to lose some weight, I think that longterm one can be fairly healthy still including some grains and dairy in ones diet.

So far, what I have noticed is that I'm not sleeping as well. I don't feel so rested in the morning and sometimes wake up earlier than normal feeling wired! It is very weird. My energy level is great throughout the day with no highs and lows like when you eat lots of carbs and I often don't feel hungry. I'm trying to increase some low level exercise and some intense weight sessions. Not sure about the sprinting - I may try that later as I stubbed my toe recently and it still hurts a bit when I walk. I've not lost much weight yet.

Have you started the primal blueprint yet? If so, how is it going for you.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 AM
FitDay Member

I started eating Paleo/Primal on September 1st. It has not been easy, but it has been "doable." The main problem I have found has been the convenience factor. This lifestyle requires "real" foods, i.e., not processed. But real foods are oftentimes a lot more work to prepare than prepackaged off the shelf type fare.

Having said all that, I've noticed great results. I'm 38 years old, 6'4" and currently weigh 206 pounds. In one month, I've lost 9 pounds and two inches from my waist. (I've also increased my exercise during this period, but I attribute most of the weight loss to diet change.) Also, before starting this way of eating, I had to take omeprazole daily to control my heartburn. After about a week, I stopped taking the omeprazol and I have not had a single instance of heartburn.

The scientific studies on this diet seem to support what I've discovered on this diet. I.e., you will lose weight, feel better and have overall improved health.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 PM
FitDay Member

I am a big fan of Paleo style diets.

The couple of times I have done a strict paleo diet--where you just eat meat, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables--I had great energy and satiation level (hunger came on gradually and without big cravings, instead of suddenly) and in fact had a lot of trouble eating enough when I merely ate when I was hungry.

You end up eating a larger percentage of your calories from fat (it was about 50% for me, with about 25-30% carbs and 20-25% protein) but because it is pared with veggies and good protein sources--instead of refined carbohydrates--you don't end up over eating and you stay satiated for a long time. Naturally lower carbohydrate intake will also help more of the weight loss to come from fat instead of muscle.

It does take some planning, but not that much. Learning to cook for one's self instead of relying on crappy processed food and frozen dinners is an immensely important step for anyone trying to improve their body composition anyway, regardless of what kinds of foods they choose to eat. Crock pot recipes, big batches of stuff so you have left overs, and a lunch cooler to bring to work are the keys in my experience.

So, Primal/Paleo diets: highly recommended for people trying to lose fat.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I have been doing low carb plans since 2003. I started out on Atkins and have progressed to a more Primal Plan - hence my screen name, LOL.....

My problem is I have problems sticking with any type of lower carb plan during the colder fall and winter months. Right now I am plugging away great, but starting to crave chicken and dumplings.

Maybe I need to find a low carb dumpling recipe that doens't contain white flour........or maybe substitute almond / coconut flour.

I love the way I feel and how defined my body looks by shedding fat instead of muscle.

I am currently taking classes at Institute of Integrative Nutrition and intend on becoming a Nutrition Coach focusing on those that are diabetic or have hormonal issues. Since that is where my own experience lies, I believe that I can help people out tremendously!!

I am hoping to open my own practice called Back to Your Roots focusing on Naturopathic Nutrition.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Nice, Primal-Lioness. You experience lines up with a number of studies I've seen showing low carb, higher protein diets, help a larger proportion of weight loss come from fat, instead of muscle, which is desirable for a number of reasons.

As for your cravings, you could still do the chicken soup, but the dumplings would be harder. Almond meal dumplings might work though . . . could be something worth playing with. I love using almond meal.

If you find a way to make a halfway decent dumpling, let us know!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Primal folks

I've been on my low carb primalish diet for about 4 weeks now but my weightloss has stalled. It is weird but I'm eating about ~800-1000 calories below my daily requirement (so about 1500 calories or less a day) and eating about 100g or less carbs and I'm not losing any weight. Not sure what is going on but I lost about 2 lbs a week for the first few weeks until now - I didn't think I'd reach a setpoint already that my body wouldn't want to go below. I could definitely lose another 15-20 lbs - I'm towards the upper BMI range of healthy. Has anyone else had weightloss stalls?

I also don't feel hungry much on this diet and feel satisfied after eating less food. I haven't gone completely paleo but I've cut out most pasta/rice/corn starches - I still sometimes have a piece of sourdough bread or rye bread - so perhaps I need to cut that out completely to resume weightloss. It just doesn't make sense that I'm not losing weight given the calorie deficit that I've had the past 2 weeks.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

Jackeroo,

How's your physical activity? If you're not already sprinting/lifting heavy, may want to consider starting. That will turn on the furnace again
Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Nik

Thanks for the tips. I also read a great post on the WholeHealthSource blog recently on changing the fat set point - see here: Link Removed

I also realized that I had not been exercising so much the past couple of weeks - not cycling to work. But what is more interesting is that because I was a little stressed those two weeks (I had to find a new nanny for my toddler pronto) I was staying up late to surf and so not getting enough sleep, I was not taking a lunch break to sit outside or walk in the sun (more surfing) and was not taking any cod liver oil for vit A and D. However, when I started to go to bed earlier, go out more at lunch, and ride my bike to the office this week, my weight suddenly started to drop again. Hmmm - might be something to the body-mind connection and also getting enough sleep and Vit D.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 02-03-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 AM
FitDay Member

The Primal Blueprint is a fantastic way to go. Also read Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution which is also a tremendous resource (go to Robbwolf.com).

It really depends on your level of metabolic derrangement whether or not you can have a bit of bread here and there. If you are overweight and got that way via eating a lot of grains/processed foods you ought to have NONE in the first 30 days at least. It only takes a small amount of grain/gluten every 2 weeks or so to maintain your level of inflammation so it should be avoided at all costs.

We as humans don't need grains and there is loads of science on sites like Marks Daily Apple, Robb Wolf's, Dr. Eades, The Heart Scan Blog, etc, etc to back it up. We like to think that we need them because we like them, they are tasty and convenient, and we are told that we need them by commercials, Dr's. and dieticians everywhere. Read Gary Taubes book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" to find out WHY we are told that we need them.

I have been Primal since May and have never felt and looked better. I never had a ton of weight to lose, but I never had defined abs before. You can see them now and I like what I see. My friend has lost 75 lbs since March, his blood pressure has gone down considerably and he has also had many benefits from going grain free.

The Primal lifestyle is very doable. It does require some thought, but isn't a person's health worth thinking about rather than mindlessly shoving more packaged food in?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:08 AM
FitDay Member

Grains are a touchy issue. They aren't "needed" per se, but I like to do mine a la Stephan Guyenet and really eat the whole grain - not "whole grain" bread/pasta/products (what complete crap). Since I train heavy, they work great as glycogen replenishers and keep next day soreness to a minimum. So I would say they are useful for such purposes. I typically do either rice or quinoa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.