Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

My family has been on the paleo diet similar to Robb Wolfs Paleo Solutions. My son has lost 20+, my daughter-in-law 20+ in first month, myself over 10+ but did not need to loose much more. My wife is battling diabetes and this is the only thing keeping her Blood Sugars in check and not gaining weight. We all feel much better with more energy. The science behind it solid and it really works if you make it a habit. It takes some time and effort in preparing your food and you just can’t roll through a fast food joint or restaurant. In Robb’s book the Paleo Solution he gives you a month of foods and recipes that if you try it you will see results. Of course you still need some exercise but that is second to the diet. Keep up the efforts it will be worth it.
Robbwolf.com
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

thanks lee.. i am feeling better already, looking to order some grass fed beef from the internet and fill the freezer as i can't get it local.. i live in the uk. i have been logging all my foods, even the smallest thing. no potatoes, bread, pasta, beans, or any non paleo foods (apart from my one open meal that had rice with it) for a whole week now.. i feel fantastic. my body tells me when i'm full and i don't get those horrible crashes from sugar any more.. not grazing ALL day either.. and another thing is that i have been eating a lot but have had a 1000 calorie defecit everyday!! and ALL my RDA's are above ''normal''.. can't believe i didn't find this plan sooner...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
I bought the book, but that's about as far as I've gotten with it.
I'm with you; I bought Mark Sisson's book but the fat thing seems so counterintuitive. I've worked hard getting my BMI down and I don't necessarily want to start eating a high fat diet. I do keep the carbs low and the protein high, though. If you start and find your body fat % goes even lower, will you please post? Thanks.

Last edited by Bazzgirl; 02-25-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
FitDay Premium Member

My doc put me on something like paleo something like six weeks ago.
I bought the Primal Blueprint book and read it (too fast) on my Kindle.
Unfortunately, it is too hard to read a book like this electronically and I don't know how to bookmark, etc....so I missed some things. But from what I read...it looks GOOD: low carb, eat good quality meat, no sugar, no grains and I'm not sure...but I think limited dairy.
Bottom line...I have cut out sugar, grains and to a large extent dairy. I eat lean meat and a lot of vegetables.
I drink 50/50 coffee and love it! Personally, I think it tastes better than full strength coffee.
I usually drink it with Coconut Milk, but sometimes (not often) have 1/2 and 1/2 as a special treat. The only other diary I have once in a blue moon is Feta Cheese (normally made from Goat's milk actually)
I am losing inches and actual weight regularly after not having ANY success with traditional weight loss methods for a few years.
The other thing is I'm exercising LESS than I was previously.
My energy level is significantly better.
Years ago, all I had to do was cut calories and exercise more to lose weight. But in recent years, that did NOT work. This (low carb, etc.) is working for me and I'm super duper grateful.
I'm not clear...do you have the Primal Blueprint book yet? So glad to read that you are feeling better. This has got to be motivating.
My advice: Stay the course!!!!!
Wishing you much success and happiness!!!!!

Last edited by AAFlaca; 02-25-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Bazzgirl
I'm with you; I bought Mark Sisson's book but the fat thing seems so counterintuitive. I've worked hard getting my BMI down and I don't necessarily want to start eating a high fat diet. I do keep the carbs low and the protein high, though. If you start and find your body fat % goes even lower, will you please post? Thanks.
If you aren't eating as many carbs, you have to eat more fat. Fat and carb calorie balance should work like a see-saw. The body doesn't like to use protein as a fuel source (it would much rather use it for cellular/organ health, hormones, neurotransmitters, muscle building, bone mass building, immune health, etc.), so primary fuel has to come from either carbs, or fat. On paleo, the majority of this energy is derived from fat, largely monounsaturated or saturated. Protein intake should be dictated by your activity level - at least 0.5g/lb lean mass for completely sedentary individuals, and up to 2g/lb lean mass for competitive athletes. Most of us fall somewhere between that range.

The fat thing may sound counterintuitive, but the medical literature for the last 30 years has really only presented one side of the story. Based on all the research I've read over the last few years, my own conclusion is that you can lose weight and improve some health markers (depending on your own body chemistry and genetics) by sticking primarily to either fat or carbs as your main fuel source. People start running into trouble when they start consuming both fat and carbs in quantity. IMHO, high fat is preferable to high carb because of the amount of control it gives you over your blood glucose level, which can be extremely toxic when high.

If you are an active individual, carbs can help refuel you after you work out or do something taxing. As an example, I'll usually have some potato or rice/quinoa after a workout, but for most of the day and on my off days I'll generally eat a lot of fat, i.e., nuts, avocados, meat (both lean and fatty), olive oil, whole dairy, etc.

Also, in my view, vegetables don't count as carbs. It's really hard to eat 50g of carbs in the form of spinach. Fruits as well, unless you are on a clementine binge or something.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
Also, in my view, vegetables don't count as carbs. It's really hard to eat 50g of carbs in the form of spinach. Fruits as well, unless you are on a clementine binge or something.
Actually it is pretty easy for me.

And those carbs count, why do you think they don't?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

I just officially started today with the primal/paleo. I've been off dairy for a year. For a while, I'm trying to stay around 50g of carbs via lots of veggies and one one serving of fruit a day. It's actually difficult for me. For example, today I had some brussel sprouts, onion, zucchini, ground goat, a large salad (baby romaine and radicchio) with a whole avocado, 1/2 serving of coconut water for electrolytes (on Phase 2 of a P90X/Insanity Hybrid I created), 1 serving (1/2cup) of strawberries, etc. No potatoes. No grain of any kind. No legumes, and BAM! Over 50grams of carbs. Huh?????
Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
FitDay Member

vabeachgirl,

What I meant to say was, unless you are being really strict with your carbs, there's no reason to count an apple and a salad (even a "big ass salad" a la Richard Nikoley) toward your carb load because their contributions would be dwarfed by say, potatoes, rice, even nuts and seeds (and even more so if you're still eating beans and dairy like me). So technically they count, but you could just as well leave them out and count them for their vitamins/minerals/antioxidants/phytochemicals instead.

So yes, technically they are carbs but they don't add a significant amount of them.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Is anyone here doing the Paleo Diet?

how is it going? are you exercisizing primally too?

I'm trying to do it but I end up messing it up. But I keep trying. When I was able to stick to the diet/lifestyle for a week, I lost 4 lbs! Looking to get back on track with it.

Paleo diet/lifestyle is my fave, it really makes sense to me, to eat like cavemen used to eat. (so much healthier then today's foods that we eat!)
Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kasiakitty23
Is anyone here doing the Paleo Diet?

how is it going? are you exercisizing primally too?

I'm trying to do it but I end up messing it up. But I keep trying. When I was able to stick to the diet/lifestyle for a week, I lost 4 lbs! Looking to get back on track with it.

Paleo diet/lifestyle is my fave, it really makes sense to me, to eat like cavemen used to eat. (so much healthier then today's foods that we eat!)
Yep, this is the life style that actually works--its not a diet, it is a way of living and you will feel great, have lots of energy, and lose fat--especially if you add CrossFit workouts--that is a two punch winner for health and fitness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.