Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Default

No grains, no processed foods, a piece of fruit now and then, the occasional vegetable. Lots of meat and fat: "breakfast" sausage links, eggs fried in real butter or bacon fat or beef tallow, marbled beef, bacon, high fat hamburger meat (70/30), heavy cream in my coffee sometimes, a glass of Half & Half cream every now and then. My generally accomplished goal is to keep my daily carb intake to less than 20 gm per day.

I have lost 30 pounds, my blood pressure dropped drastically, my blood glucose now stays in the 72 - 85 ml/dl range.

I still have almost 100 pounds to lose but I now have hope. In the past, getting rid of this frickin' fat was a lost cause.

My unconditional rule: Conventional wisdom, like the government, is always wrong.
Phocion_Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #52 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Default

I'm planning to do the 30 day paleo challenge. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and there have been quite a few members of the forum I am on who do it. I want to use it as an opportunity to learn to cook better--right now I tend to be so basic with my foods and just have broccoli alone or zucchini alone and a meat alone, not so much "recipes" as heating up the individual ingredients.

I have a good base to start with: rarely drink anything but water, rarely eat bread or rice, occasionally have some black licorice.

Long term paleo is NOT for me. I have no desire to give up cappuccinos forever, nor do I want to quit yogurt, but I love the idea of a challenge, and it'll be interesting to eat clean for a month. Though, clean can't mean organic for me, as I'm in Korea and have NO CLUE about organic vs non-organic here. Meh.
ladyofthundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #53 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthundera View Post
I'm planning to do the 30 day paleo challenge. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and there have been quite a few members of the forum I am on who do it. I want to use it as an opportunity to learn to cook better--right now I tend to be so basic with my foods and just have broccoli alone or zucchini alone and a meat alone, not so much "recipes" as heating up the individual ingredients.

I have a good base to start with: rarely drink anything but water, rarely eat bread or rice, occasionally have some black licorice.

Long term paleo is NOT for me. I have no desire to give up cappuccinos forever, nor do I want to quit yogurt, but I love the idea of a challenge, and it'll be interesting to eat clean for a month. Though, clean can't mean organic for me, as I'm in Korea and have NO CLUE about organic vs non-organic here. Meh.
You can do Paleo and have an occasional cappuccino and yogurt.

If you adhere for 80% of the time to Paleo standards, there is always the other 20% of being able to have some treats.
Primal-Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #54 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal-Lioness View Post
You can do Paleo and have an occasional cappuccino and yogurt.

If you adhere for 80% of the time to Paleo standards, there is always the other 20% of being able to have some treats.
This may be true, but I have no desire to stick to Paleo standards. I realize that for the most part I do unintentionally stick to Paleo, but the difference is mindset. Same as if I say "I'll be vegetarian for 80% of the time." For me it's following a diet or not following a diet. I would personally rather my good choices outweighed my bad ones, rather than stick to one diet 80% of the time and know that I was basically cheating the other 20%.

For me, it's more about calories in/out and exercise, as well as choosing overall healthy foods. And while paleo may be healthy, overall it's a bit too restrictive for me and doesn't fit well with my life's philosophy, but then neither did vegetarianism, and I was a veg for 10 years.
ladyofthundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #55 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Default

I'm in on the Primal Blueprint. I haven't bought the book just yet but have devoured Mark's Daily Apple.

I never ate candy bars but did have occasional M&Ms, but not many. Never eat McD's. I never drink soda unless it's mixed with bourbon, yet, no matter what, I was packing on the pounds. It must have been the grains. I've pretty much knocked all grains off my plate and now I'm knocking off a pound every other day. For now at least. Can't say I won't EVER eat any grain again, but right now, I'm grain free and loving it. The last two days, I've worn two pairs of pants I haven't fit into in 6 months or more.

Yeah, I'm Primal.
specialkayefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #56 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Wink lacto-paleo

Hi, ladyofthundera,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthundera View Post
I'm planning to do the 30 day paleo [snip]
Long term paleo is NOT for me. I have no desire to give up cappuccinos forever, nor do I want to quit yogurt.
yes, you can still have dairy (full fat) on a paleo diet (assuming you are not lactose intolerant or allergic).

I prefer the approach of Dr. Harris (you can search for his 12-step program on paleonu.com).
he makes much more sense than Dr. Cordain to me on dairy, sweetener & oils; the purpose of paleo diet is not re-enactment (in his words).
so for those who have no problem with dairy, why so dogmatic about it?

i also don't like 80/20 rule either. i prefer to set the goal to be 100%, (does not mean i can do it)

cheers,
gee1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #57 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Default paleo

As for paleo I recomend listening to Robb Wolf's podcast and maybe looking up his websites, he also has a few books out but most of the info is availble on the web. I really like his info and his point of veiw on the the whole diet vs. lifestyle change. I've done paleo before but I always drop the ball a few weeks in with bullcrap excuses but Im back on the wagon as of now haha, and with my previous expirences with the paleo diet I was very happy with the quick results that it produced.
Alexa_Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #58 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default New to Primal

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to primal blueprint. Just started yesterday actually. I have a good family friend who has done primal since august and has had great results.

I am a college student and am nervous about having the time and money to do primal correctly. Any advice?
celladebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celladebella View Post
I am a college student and am nervous about having the time and money to do primal correctly. Any advice?
Hi there, I just finished school and I can tell you one thing: eggs will be your best friend! If you have a trader joe's nearby you can also get pretty inexpensive grilled chicken chunks.
__________________
-Nik


My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #60 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Default

You might want to check out Art DeVarny's website...Good luck to you. The list looks like you're off to a great new year!
4phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blog, caveman diet, cavemen diet, insulin, low carb, mark sisson, no grains, opw, organic, paleo, paleo diet, primal blueprint, thyroid

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2