Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
FitDay Member

No grains, no processed foods, a piece of fruit now and then, the occasional vegetable. Lots of meat and fat: "breakfast" sausage links, eggs fried in real butter or bacon fat or beef tallow, marbled beef, bacon, high fat hamburger meat (70/30), heavy cream in my coffee sometimes, a glass of Half & Half cream every now and then. My generally accomplished goal is to keep my daily carb intake to less than 20 gm per day.

I have lost 30 pounds, my blood pressure dropped drastically, my blood glucose now stays in the 72 - 85 ml/dl range.

I still have almost 100 pounds to lose but I now have hope. In the past, getting rid of this frickin' fat was a lost cause.

My unconditional rule: Conventional wisdom, like the government, is always wrong.
Phocion_Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #52 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I'm planning to do the 30 day paleo challenge. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and there have been quite a few members of the forum I am on who do it. I want to use it as an opportunity to learn to cook better--right now I tend to be so basic with my foods and just have broccoli alone or zucchini alone and a meat alone, not so much "recipes" as heating up the individual ingredients.

I have a good base to start with: rarely drink anything but water, rarely eat bread or rice, occasionally have some black licorice.

Long term paleo is NOT for me. I have no desire to give up cappuccinos forever, nor do I want to quit yogurt, but I love the idea of a challenge, and it'll be interesting to eat clean for a month. Though, clean can't mean organic for me, as I'm in Korea and have NO CLUE about organic vs non-organic here. Meh.
ladyofthundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #53 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthundera View Post
I'm planning to do the 30 day paleo challenge. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and there have been quite a few members of the forum I am on who do it. I want to use it as an opportunity to learn to cook better--right now I tend to be so basic with my foods and just have broccoli alone or zucchini alone and a meat alone, not so much "recipes" as heating up the individual ingredients.

I have a good base to start with: rarely drink anything but water, rarely eat bread or rice, occasionally have some black licorice.

Long term paleo is NOT for me. I have no desire to give up cappuccinos forever, nor do I want to quit yogurt, but I love the idea of a challenge, and it'll be interesting to eat clean for a month. Though, clean can't mean organic for me, as I'm in Korea and have NO CLUE about organic vs non-organic here. Meh.
You can do Paleo and have an occasional cappuccino and yogurt.

If you adhere for 80% of the time to Paleo standards, there is always the other 20% of being able to have some treats.
Primal-Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #54 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal-Lioness View Post
You can do Paleo and have an occasional cappuccino and yogurt.

If you adhere for 80% of the time to Paleo standards, there is always the other 20% of being able to have some treats.
This may be true, but I have no desire to stick to Paleo standards. I realize that for the most part I do unintentionally stick to Paleo, but the difference is mindset. Same as if I say "I'll be vegetarian for 80% of the time." For me it's following a diet or not following a diet. I would personally rather my good choices outweighed my bad ones, rather than stick to one diet 80% of the time and know that I was basically cheating the other 20%.

For me, it's more about calories in/out and exercise, as well as choosing overall healthy foods. And while paleo may be healthy, overall it's a bit too restrictive for me and doesn't fit well with my life's philosophy, but then neither did vegetarianism, and I was a veg for 10 years.
ladyofthundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #55 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I'm in on the Primal Blueprint. I haven't bought the book just yet but have devoured Mark's Daily Apple.

I never ate candy bars but did have occasional M&Ms, but not many. Never eat McD's. I never drink soda unless it's mixed with bourbon, yet, no matter what, I was packing on the pounds. It must have been the grains. I've pretty much knocked all grains off my plate and now I'm knocking off a pound every other day. For now at least. Can't say I won't EVER eat any grain again, but right now, I'm grain free and loving it. The last two days, I've worn two pairs of pants I haven't fit into in 6 months or more.

Yeah, I'm Primal.
specialkayefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #56 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Wink lacto-paleo

Hi, ladyofthundera,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthundera View Post
I'm planning to do the 30 day paleo [snip]
Long term paleo is NOT for me. I have no desire to give up cappuccinos forever, nor do I want to quit yogurt.
yes, you can still have dairy (full fat) on a paleo diet (assuming you are not lactose intolerant or allergic).

I prefer the approach of Dr. Harris (you can search for his 12-step program on paleonu.com).
he makes much more sense than Dr. Cordain to me on dairy, sweetener & oils; the purpose of paleo diet is not re-enactment (in his words).
so for those who have no problem with dairy, why so dogmatic about it?

i also don't like 80/20 rule either. i prefer to set the goal to be 100%, (does not mean i can do it)

cheers,
gee1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #57 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default paleo

As for paleo I recomend listening to Robb Wolf's podcast and maybe looking up his websites, he also has a few books out but most of the info is availble on the web. I really like his info and his point of veiw on the the whole diet vs. lifestyle change. I've done paleo before but I always drop the ball a few weeks in with bullcrap excuses but Im back on the wagon as of now haha, and with my previous expirences with the paleo diet I was very happy with the quick results that it produced.
Alexa_Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #58 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default New to Primal

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to primal blueprint. Just started yesterday actually. I have a good family friend who has done primal since august and has had great results.

I am a college student and am nervous about having the time and money to do primal correctly. Any advice?
celladebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celladebella View Post
I am a college student and am nervous about having the time and money to do primal correctly. Any advice?
Hi there, I just finished school and I can tell you one thing: eggs will be your best friend! If you have a trader joe's nearby you can also get pretty inexpensive grilled chicken chunks.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #60 (permalink)
FitDay Member

You might want to check out Art DeVarny's website...Good luck to you. The list looks like you're off to a great new year!
4phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, caveman diet, cavemen diet, insulin, low carb, mark sisson, no grains, opw, organic, paleo, paleo diet, primal blueprint, thyroid