FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/807-paleo-primal-blueprint-caveman-diet-lifestyle.html)

mindful2 06-27-2010 05:00 AM

I'm going primal, too....just started the transition 6/22. Like Lulu, I found MDA while researching something to transition to from Medifast. I lost 45 pounds with MF, but man am I sick of the space food...not to mention all the funky ingredients. I've got 20 more pounds of fat to lose and primal seems to be the way to go. I'm accustomed to 50-100 carbs per day, and I haven't been eating grains. Having fruit back in my diet has been heavenly so far - however limited I have to keep it. I've yet to do the organic meat shopping, but that will happen this week. I love it so far. Glad to hear so many people are doing well with it - especially the part about being able to focus on tasks. I've been struggling with extreme distractability for a while now. Hope this helps!

Primal-Lioness 07-08-2010 05:41 AM

Hi, I am new to Fit Day, but not to Primal Blue Print.

I wanted to stop by and say Hi to like minded people!!! I feel like I am at home already.

I had fallen off the wagon due to financial constraints, but my hubby and I are back full force!!!

Just this afternoon I found a source of grass fed beef, organic pork and free range chicken and eggs. The meat packages are AWESOME too!!!

zorba1331 07-26-2010 12:34 AM

Phew! I was wondering if there were any other 'Grok's' over here!

I have been Primal for 8 weeks and I never had a ton of weight to shed, but I have never had a flat stomach and am bound and determined to get it!

I started doing CrossFit in mid march (LOVE IT--hate working out but LOVE CrossFit) and because I was working out so hard I felt I earned that loaf of rye bread a week and a ton of fruit and store bought smoothies! Needless to say after 2 months I felt like my shorts were getting tighter!

I went to a seminar by Dr. Gundry (Diet Evolution) bought his book and learned a ton. My sig. other and I followed Gundry for about a month until I found MDA and we have been Primal ever since. I have started seeing signs of leaning out (just reduced the fruit intake to be sure I am hovering between 50-100 grams per day of carbs) and my performance at CrossFit is really starting to improve.

My sig. other had a lot more weight to lose and I am proud to say that he has lost 60lbs since mid-march.

Some of my favorite primal recipes are: cauliflower crust pizza, lazy man's cabbage rolls, noodle-less lasagna, spaghetti squash and meat sauce and coconut milk and strawberry/banana ice cream. YUM!

For me Primal is the way to live and the only way to live. I am so focused on getting lean, eating grain/processed food is not difficult at all. In fact, being Primal just gets easier the more you know what foods you like and how to shop.

I highly recommend it and am surprised more on here aren't talking about it.

tandoorichicken 07-26-2010 04:54 AM

Nice to see another fellow Grok, Zorba!

I think more people should try out the primal/paleo lifestyle; even if they don't go all the way with it they'll see great results just like those of us who do it "80%" on this thread. There are two problems:

- Entrenched conventional wisdom against "artery clogging saturated fat" and for "heart healthy whole grains;" and

- Equating our diet with other low-carb "diets" (even though primal/paleo is a lifestyle) like Atkins or South Beach... people can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that "low-carb" is a very general term for a lot of very different diets, just like "low-fat" (ADA vs. Ornish vs. vegan vs. Fuhrman vs. etc.)... primal/paleo actually has a lot more in common with "buy local, eat fresh" than people realize. And it's sustainable and healthy to boot.

Anyways, glad to see you on here and looking forward to sharing more Grokisms with you! :)

zorba1331 07-26-2010 05:45 AM

It is so true. People think that when you eat Primal and are cutting out grains that you aren't getting carbs. They seem to forget that veggies and fruit have carbs!

I also feel that for people who really want to lose weight, improve their health and make a whole-hearted change in their world, cutting out grains completely is a must.

Cutting back will get you to a certain point, but I believe that if you have just a little bit, it is much easier to continually have just a little bit more and before your know it, your carbs per day are 200 grams and upward.

xfit51 07-27-2010 05:27 AM

Glad to see a fellow cross fitter here as well as many who are doing the Paleo thing. I started cross fit Sept 09 and almost from the beginning our coaches started talking about this Paleo thing of which I had never heard. I have been doing Paleo plus full fat dairy now for about 4 months and feel good. I am over 50 and fighting menopause hot flashes something terrible so right now I just want to feel better and the cross fit and Paleo combo seems to be working wonders for me. I can't imagine how I would be feeling were I not doing what I am doing.

I made a Paleo meatza (meat crust pizza) the other day and my husband and I both loved it! It was better the next day as leftovers for lunch at work.

Grok on ladies!

zorba1331 07-27-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by xfit51 (Post 16955)
Glad to see a fellow cross fitter here as well as many who are doing the Paleo thing. I started cross fit Sept 09 and almost from the beginning our coaches started talking about this Paleo thing of which I had never heard. I have been doing Paleo plus full fat dairy now for about 4 months and feel good. I am over 50 and fighting menopause hot flashes something terrible so right now I just want to feel better and the cross fit and Paleo combo seems to be working wonders for me. I can't imagine how I would be feeling were I not doing what I am doing.

I made a Paleo meatza (meat crust pizza) the other day and my husband and I both loved it! It was better the next day as leftovers for lunch at work.

Grok on ladies!

Awesome. I had never heard of Paleo until Crossfit either. My Crossfit affiliate had a nutrition seminar that featured Dr. Gundry (Diet Evolution). I read that book and started following it until my sister directed me to the Daily Apple cite. I was intrigued because he was the only other person besides Gundry who spoke about reprogramming your genes, etc. I bought his book and have been hooked!

I LOVE crossfit and the community within is unparalleled.

I made a meatza before, but found it too...meaty! I love meat like the best of 'em, but I liked the cauliflower crust pizza much better. Tasted more like 'real' pizza to me as well. You should check it out! The Lighter Side of Low-Carb: I Can't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust!

agarfield 07-30-2010 04:10 AM

I saw this thread a couple of days ago and started looking at Mark's Daily Apple. I showed my husband and we both got really excited about it. We ordered the book yesterday and it should arrive today. I'm excited! I think I'll try the cauliflower pizza crust this weekend. Thanks for making me aware of the Primal Blueprint. :)

dragon707 08-21-2010 06:18 AM

Lc/caveman-women

I started Atkins 7/01/10 on the induction for 2 weeks I found it very hard to eat all that fat. In the first 2 week I did lose 16#. I don't eat breakfast, so I have switched diets to the Caveman Diet and after the first week I like it. It took me that long to get in the habit of no breakfast no lunch. I love being able to eat a full low carb meal for dinner. I do have to drink 2 gallons of water everyday. Last nights dinner was 12oz grilled salmon(my favorite) 2 cup toss salad with vegs, a cup of spinach with butter and SF jello. I have lost 44# in 50 days I no it will slow down.This is the diet that works for me and is very easy to follow.

snoopyhp 08-31-2010 03:38 PM

I too, am doing cavewoman dieting, though I have gone less paleo and more primal, which allows for some dairy (small amounts of full fat dairy, since your calories/energy are not coming from sugars on this diet). I lost 7lbs in the 1st 10 days and my energy level is pretty good. I think your results are great and your dinner sounds alot like mine. Keep at it, I feel this may become a resonable lifestyle that I can manage to maintain long term...good luck :D