Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Day 1 (re-starting)

Been "paleo" for a while but I fell off the wagon a couple of months ago. I've done nothing stupid like eating candy or ice cream, etc., but I have indulged in bread and just plain ol' eating too much. So, back to the way it should be.

To cleanse myself, as it were, my menu will be about 80% fat and 20% protein for the next week or so to get ketosis rolling again. Afterwards I'll reintroduce about 50 gm "safe" starches from roots and tubers per day, three or four days per week.

2:20 p.m.
Official starting weight: 243.5 lbs.

So far, I've had two mugs of coffee, each mug equivalent to four 6 oz. cups, with 1/2 cup cream (vat pasteurized at 145F, the closest to raw cream I can get in this area).

Supper tonight will be ground beef, sauteed mushrooms and onions, and swiss cheese.

According to FitDay, at the end of the day, this will result in a ratio of:
  • Fat: 73%
  • Protein: 17%
  • Carbs: 10%

It is my intention, the road to hell notwithstanding, to track this in a public forum to hopfully force myself to stay on the straight and narrow.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default Mostly Primal

Turned to primal eating due to grain intolerance and diabetes. It's been just over a year. I feel fantastic!

I have to say that it's taken nearly the whole year for it to be "easy" though. I've gone through different phases of adjustment over the year, sort of 'stepping down' from the SAD foods. For example, as I cut out grains gradually, I relied more heavily on nuts for a while until I learned what else I could eat. I would make things like almond flour biscuits so they'd be 'bread-like' but eventually I stopped doing that. I don't miss 'bread-like' stuff anymore and don't care. I've been surprised and relieved at the indifference I feel.

Right now my plate is 75% vegetables. About half of those are the dark leafy kind. I do eat some legumes, because I can't do without fermented black bean paste or miso paste in cooking, and I have tofu now and then. I can't afford pastured beef or pork very often, and can't eat eggs, so I try to supplement bird and fish protein with a little beans and nuts and seeds.

Somebody mentioned having lots of food allergies and a limited budget, and still trying to eat paleo/primal? That's me, too!

Right now my bugbear is dairy. I stopped most dairy, but I am trying to give up my half-and-half in my tea and my goat cheese because I think it's monkeying with my insulin response. But it's harder than giving up grains was! With grains, they were actively hurting me - eat grains, have gut agony - easy to avoid. The damage from dairy is more subtle and I'm having a hard time with it. It's my last blasted SAD comfort food... ugh!

x.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default Primal breakfast foods

Originally Posted by jbarwick06
Hey all I just started Primal Yesterday and I lost 3 LBS Can't say that I'm not happy about it. What is your favorite Breakfast food?
Uncured bacon and black kale! That's my favorite paleo breakfast.

But what I have most often is stir-fried greens & misc. veggies and a piece of leftover chicken.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default James,

I am really looking forward to reading about your experiences.

I have a tendency to put myself into self imposed experiments from time to time, but I rarely have the nerve to share the details.

Please let us know how it goes. (80% fat seems pretty extreme, but it is only for a short time and I bet many of us have done it unintentionally )
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
FitDay Premium Member

hey xochicoatl,
When I did a paleo challenge a month ago, it was the dairy that was the hardest... by far. I am a big yogurt for breakfast person, and can't really live w/o goat cheese. I actually don't like milk and can skip ice cream, but cheeses... there is no life w/o cheese.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
hey xochicoatl,
When I did a paleo challenge a month ago, it was the dairy that was the hardest... by far. I am a big yogurt for breakfast person, and can't really live w/o goat cheese. I actually don't like milk and can skip ice cream, but cheeses... there is no life w/o cheese.
I felt the same as you Runbikeski. I love goat cheese and feta. Both of which I haven't completely given up while following what I call an "Almost Paleo" diet. I also can't find a good Paleo coffee creamer to save my life. I'll have to keep experimenting with that.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jennafreshandfit
I felt the same as you Runbikeski. I love goat cheese and feta. Both of which I haven't completely given up while following what I call an "Almost Paleo" diet. I also can't find a good Paleo coffee creamer to save my life. I'll have to keep experimenting with that.
I still eat cheese and it doesn't bother me at all. I mostly eat rib eye steaks, eggs, and bacon. Sauteed mushrooms and onions.
Just use heavy cream for your coffee, or coconut oil.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Jennafreshandfit
The coach was making "bullet proof coffee" during the paleo challenge. He would add butter and coconut oil. At first glance my reaction was YUCK!. And the first time I tried it, I wasn't hugely impressed. But after the 2 try I actually came to really like it. I can't quite describe the flavor, but the buttery mouth feel really adds something to the coffee.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Smile New member and paleo/primal fan

Our family has been following a paleo/primal lifestyle for about 8 months with renewed energy and good vibes! I'm principally using Fitday to track my carb intake. A great source for anyone interested is Marks Daily Apple (Mark Sisson).
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

I agree, best thing I ever did for my health. Paleo for life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.