Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #171 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Cool I am also not losing on primal:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by desireebu View Post
I ate “paleo” for a year. Initially it worked well…I lost weight and felt great. However, I noticed I never felt full. I could eat a crapton of fatty meat and veggies and I still wanted to eat more. So, I started filling the gaps with nuts/coconut and attempted to further lower carbs (cutting out all fruit etc) This backfired in a huge way and left me with a seriously screwed up relationship with food. This isn’t per-se Paleo’s fault – however I am still bitter about the paleo high-fat insurgency. Primal (ala Sisson) is indeed low-carb high fat - PALEO is NOT. (Grain free just usually ends up lower carb than SAD) Primal will ONLY work if fat is incredibly satiating for you - you will eat less calories and lose weight “effortlessly.” This was NOT true for me....in fact for ME high fat meals are the least satiating of any maco-nutrient focus. High fat definitely works really well for some people - especially men. However, if it's NOT working please don't start randomly cutting more and more carbs – or telling everyone to further reduce their carbs. That's not the point of Paleo and you can seriously eff yourself up. The greatest tenet of paleo is "N=1." Don't listen to anyone but your own body. And if you don't keep loosing its not some insulin-BS - it means you're eating more calories than you're burning - period. If you HAVE to have a GURU then at least cross reference the facts before you treat them as Gospel:

Hunt.Gather.Love. | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
Whole Health Source
My Carb Sane-Asylum
Perfect Health Diet
Archevore - Archevore Blog
Just wondering what is working for you now! The primal/Sisson ideology just makes SO MUCH SENSE to me, and I've experienced many benefits from staying true and soldiering past my carb-addict tendencies, but weight loss has not been one of them...
jukipants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #172 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Just started Paleo! WooHoo!
IBneanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #173 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoVino View Post
And your point being what? That having high cholesterol means nothing? Or that having high cholesterol shouldn't be avoided? Or you'll just go ahead and continue eating and thinking like a caveman and not care about cholesterol?

Methinks you haven't thought this through either.
Just posting to clear things up here. It's true that high total blood cholesterol is a marker for heart disease, not a cause per se. The reason this matters is that high levels of LDL cholesterol are produced in response to blood vessel injury. Blood vessel injury in cases related to heart disease occurs when chronic inflammation causes the smooth muscle surrounding the vessels to stiffen and then tear. So the real cause of heart disease is chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation results from several factors, many of which are healed by a paleo-style diet (more below).

LDL-C is actually a cholesterol carrier — the "LDL" is a molecular vehicle that gets the "C" to the injury site, where it acts kind of like a band-aid, sealing up the tear in the blood vessel wall. HDL, on the other hand, moves cholesterol in the reverse direction: peeling off the band-aid once the injury is healed and returning it to the liver for processing. So, I'd argue that cholesterol composition is more important than the actual value. Total triglycerides are probably a better marker of cardiac health than total cholesterol over the long term, with the caveat being when you're working on fat loss - because as you're losing fat your blood will be full of it.

Back to inflammation. One cause for inflammation is high blood sugar. By controlling carbohydrates in the diet, paleo reduces blood sugar levels and therefore controls inflammation well. As inflammation decreases, the body is able to heal more of its blood vessels and LDL levels drop, while HDL levels rise (to clear cholesterol from the bloodstream). Another cause of inflammation is high omega-6 fats, which actually form the signalling molecules that begin the inflammation response. A paleo-diet typically reduces these and incorporates more omega-3 fats, which soothe inflammation. It should also be noted that a few types of saturated fat also soothe inflammation. Examples are medium-chain acids like lauric and capric acids (found in coconut).

Finally, exercise and recovery account for the non-diet aspects of inflammation. All types of exercise tend to reduce systemic inflammation (cardio may exacerbate inflammation in joints associated with the activity, so don't forget to warm-up) BUT ONLY IF you provide for adequate recovery, including active rest such as walking, and plenty of sleep.

In relevance to this discussion, this means that trying to control your blood cholesterol directly through controlling consumption of saturated fat and dietary cholesterol doesn't really matter. What matters is indirect control over cholesterol type by reducing systemic inflammation. And in my experience paleo only helps.



I realize this might be a load of information so let me know if anything needs to be cleared up.
__________________
-Nik


My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #174 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
01gt4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 7,334
Default

welcome back Nik!
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #175 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 View Post
welcome back Nik!
MIKE!

I'm getting married in a couple months, so I'm using FD to diet down. Low-carb paleoish reduced-calorie with exercise and sleep thrown in here and there as usual, blah blah. How are things in this neck of the Internet?
__________________
-Nik


My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #176 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
01gt4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 7,334
Default

Big congrats Nik!!! So when is the big day? If you don't mind you should share some pics!

Things have been good, I recently bought a motorcycle which is my biggest news. I need to get my diet in check as well, my exercising has been pretty good though. Thanks for asking.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #177 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 57
Default

I second Mike, welcome back Niki. I miss seeing your posts.

Your writing is reasoned, well-written and informed. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
M 54
Height - 5' 11
Start Weight - 230 lbs (1/8/12)
Current Weight - 200.5 lbs (5/19/12)
Total Loss 29.5 lbs, 12.8%
April 1st goal - 207- made it
July 4th goal- 185-



http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html
jptfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 AM   #178 (permalink)
FitDay Premium Member
 
RunbikeSki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 2,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandoorichicken View Post
MIKE!

I'm getting married in a couple months, so I'm using FD to diet down. Low-carb paleoish reduced-calorie with exercise and sleep thrown in here and there as usual, blah blah. How are things in this neck of the Internet?

BIG CONGRATS NIK! Don't forget about us once you are in marital bliss . BTW very nice post regarding cholesterol. I especially liked your comment that LDL is an indicator, rather than a cause of arterial problems.
__________________
Pam
5'4" 55yr

2.5 years, 45 pounds later... 128ish pounds
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #179 (permalink)
FitDay Premium Member
 
RunbikeSki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 2,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukipants View Post
Just wondering what is working for you now! The primal/Sisson ideology just makes SO MUCH SENSE to me, and I've experienced many benefits from staying true and soldiering past my carb-addict tendencies, but weight loss has not been one of them...

Hi jukipants,
I am not an expert on paleo, but I have many gym rat buddies who swear by it. It seems to me that when combined with lots of weight bearing exercises (read: power lifting) it works really well. For those of us more into the endurance side of exercising like runners and bikers (the pedel kind, not the motorized kind) it isn't quite as effective because we run out of glycogen that fuels the muscles very quickly, well before the fat burning metabolism has a time to kick in.

That is just my observation over the years. I am kind of a psuedo-paleo person. I avoid all the refined stuff, but still indulge in whole grains, honey for tea and coffee, and the occassional powerbar type thing.
__________________
Pam
5'4" 55yr

2.5 years, 45 pounds later... 128ish pounds
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #180 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunbikeSki View Post
For those of us more into the endurance side of exercising like runners and bikers (the pedel kind, not the motorized kind) it isn't quite as effective because we run out of glycogen that fuels the muscles very quickly, well before the fat burning metabolism has a time to kick in.
Hey Pam! The wedding's in July and then we're taking off for Hawai'i for a couple weeks so I'll be lurking at least till then!

I'm actually training for a half-marathon towards the end of the year and my secondary goal is to do it paleo! I'll probably go low-carb from a few months out to adapt and top off glycogen with sweet potatoes before the race, but I'm hoping to go all-out fat burning on race day.
__________________
-Nik


My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blog, caveman diet, cavemen diet, insulin, low carb, mark sisson, no grains, opw, organic, paleo, paleo diet, primal blueprint, thyroid

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2