Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by owdi

Also, blood cholesterol is a marker for heart disease, not a cause.
And your point being what? That having high cholesterol means nothing? Or that having high cholesterol shouldn't be avoided? Or you'll just go ahead and continue eating and thinking like a caveman and not care about cholesterol?

Methinks you haven't thought this through either.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Default Newb Question

Hello everyone! I have read a few books and researched online about the diet. Initially lost 12 pounds, enjoyed the food, and had no problem staying on track. After the 12 pounds hit the ever familiar plateau that I hit no matter what the diet. My question is how many have to count calories while doing Paleo? It seems the bacon ,coconut fat and snacking on nuts are huge on calories. I know I am missing something. Can someone point the way?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by steveotm
Hello everyone! I have read a few books and researched online about the diet. Initially lost 12 pounds, enjoyed the food, and had no problem staying on track. After the 12 pounds hit the ever familiar plateau that I hit no matter what the diet. My question is how many have to count calories while doing Paleo? It seems the bacon ,coconut fat and snacking on nuts are huge on calories. I know I am missing something. Can someone point the way?
I didn't used to count calories, but when all the water weight is gone (the thing that Paleo does so well) you sometimes need to make a conscious effort to know your daily carbs and calories if you want the fat to come off in a reasonable time. Well below 100g carbs.

To do that means no fruit, no banana in the morning, nothing glycemic at all. Just the carbs in veggies and nuts, and you have to become familiar with those veggies that are too carb-rich. It's good paleo eating but you have to learn what each food puts in you and menu yourself through the day. After a while you don't need to count, you know what items will push your daily carbs over.

Once you are down to the weight you want you can go back to regular paleo, bring your fruit and this and that back into your life.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
FitDay Member

lbruceolson, Thanks so much for the reply! I am snacking on nuts, too many carbs...I have been sticking to the green veggies, and will have to drop the fruit...and here is another question, in eating the lean meats( using the correct fats), there is always talk on eating enough fats to loose weight. If I am calorie counting I end up cutting fat amounts to keep the calories down.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
In your opinion it's "hog wash". And the hypothesis has not been proven wrong, has it?

HDL cholesterol: How to boost your 'good' cholesterol - MayoClinic.com
Big Fat Lies - YouTube
and
Why You Got Fat - YouTube
and
Is Saturated Fat Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by steveotm
lbruceolson, Thanks so much for the reply! I am snacking on nuts, too many carbs...I have been sticking to the green veggies, and will have to drop the fruit...and here is another question, in eating the lean meats( using the correct fats), there is always talk on eating enough fats to loose weight. If I am calorie counting I end up cutting fat amounts to keep the calories down.
I don't even think about fats, fats are what you want to make into you primary power supply. My whole focus is on glycemic carbs. I eat a lot of walnuts. It's the carbs and sugar that have to be tamped down well below 100g. Any more carbs than that and you lose the water but not the fat. A few people are different about that but most fall right into the slot that Primal Blueprint talks about.

Getting rid of fruit and sugars makes it no prob to get your carbs down to about 70g. You keep your overall calories below 2,000, and get those calories from meats veggie nuts and eggs. You do that and every morning you're weighing in at about 1/2 lb less than the day before, and it's pure fat loss. Also you can take a day a week to indulge sugar, then back to pure paleo for 6 days. Working perfect for me.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lbruceolson
I don't even think about fats, fats are what you want to make into you primary power supply. My whole focus is on glycemic carbs. I eat a lot of walnuts. It's the carbs and sugar that have to be tamped down well below 100g. Any more carbs than that and you lose the water but not the fat. A few people are different about that but most fall right into the slot that Primal Blueprint talks about.

Getting rid of fruit and sugars makes it no prob to get your carbs down to about 70g. You keep your overall calories below 2,000, and get those calories from meats veggie nuts and eggs. You do that and every morning you're weighing in at about 1/2 lb less than the day before, and it's pure fat loss. Also you can take a day a week to indulge sugar, then back to pure paleo for 6 days. Working perfect for me.
lbruceolson, since your first reply I have cut out the fruit. For breakfast I usually had eggs with an orange awhile later with a bottle of water. An orange is only 60 calorie range.....but 18g carbs...replaced it with steamed broccoli which is around 6g and that breakfast stays with me all morning! Will be counting the carbs from now on and calories second...thanks again!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 PM
FitDay Member

I have been primal for 3 months.... lost 20 lbs so far but lots left to go. I am totally grain free and it has made a big difference for me. I do have some dairy ( bulletproof coffee) and of course lots of 90% dark chocolate I am trying to keep my protein up to about 100 gr and my carbs under 100 gr.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

I'm really glad I found this site. I've tried different weight loss programs, and my heart still comes back to primal/paleo. I've read so many books on this subject, and I truly believe there is something here. I think soon (within the next ten years) you will see the famous food pyramid do a complete 180. Protein, veggies, fruit.....what's wrong with that?!?!?! For weight loss, keep the fruit to a minimum....don't worry about the fat....it keeps you satisfied longer. Sugar is EMPTY. There is nothing there ANYONE needs. I'm glad I found this thread, because I've been following the rules above, and seem to not be losing as quickly as I want. I do eat a lot of fruit. (Damn Weight Watchers, in my head with the "fruit is free"). With this site, I can log everything I put in my mouth, and I like seeing the graph showing how many carbs, calories, fat, and protein. Listening to the posts here, I'm going to keep my eye on that graph and keep my carbs under 100. Minimal fruit (I love Fage Total Yogurt - 7 gms. carb per cup) so I'll stick with a few strawberries or blueberries in my yogurt with some walnuts). I'll have everything I need - protein, good carbs, fat, and even a small amount of dairy. Keep my calories to under 1800. We'll see how it goes!

Last edited by dlebbin; 04-21-2012 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

I ate “paleo” for a year. Initially it worked well…I lost weight and felt great. However, I noticed I never felt full. I could eat a crapton of fatty meat and veggies and I still wanted to eat more. So, I started filling the gaps with nuts/coconut and attempted to further lower carbs (cutting out all fruit etc) This backfired in a huge way and left me with a seriously screwed up relationship with food. This isn’t per-se Paleo’s fault – however I am still bitter about the paleo high-fat insurgency. Primal (ala Sisson) is indeed low-carb high fat - PALEO is NOT. (Grain free just usually ends up lower carb than SAD) Primal will ONLY work if fat is incredibly satiating for you - you will eat less calories and lose weight “effortlessly.” This was NOT true for me....in fact for ME high fat meals are the least satiating of any maco-nutrient focus. High fat definitely works really well for some people - especially men. However, if it's NOT working please don't start randomly cutting more and more carbs – or telling everyone to further reduce their carbs. That's not the point of Paleo and you can seriously eff yourself up. The greatest tenet of paleo is "N=1." Don't listen to anyone but your own body. And if you don't keep loosing its not some insulin-BS - it means you're eating more calories than you're burning - period. If you HAVE to have a GURU then at least cross reference the facts before you treat them as Gospel:

Hunt.Gather.Love. | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
Whole Health Source
My Carb Sane-Asylum
Perfect Health Diet
Archevore - Archevore Blog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.