Notices
Like Tree1Likes

Weight Loss for seniors

Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Weight Loss for seniors

Good Morning! Does anyone have any tips for those of us over 55? My metabolism just isn't as fast!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Exercise works slowly to boost weight loss, but it does help. Other than that, it's just calorie control like any other time of life (maybe fewer calories, but not a drastic cut).
Old 06-05-2012, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by granny.10
Good Morning! Does anyone have any tips for those of us over 55? My metabolism just isn't as fast!
Regardless of age, there is no substitute for diet and excercise. Even if you stand in place and pretend to walk or jog for 20 minutes, you'll feel a lot better. Tracking your food intake daily, will eventually show you where your taking in too many calories to support your weight . Im 66, still active playing sports and when I track my calories, I can maintain and or lose weight. Stick with it and over time you'll notice a big difference.
kia2006 likes this.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Granny,
You are in good company here. There are a bunch of us in the 50+ category. Why don't you check into the women's corner? There will lots of good company, chuckles, support, and great advise. I will say even among us "seniors" we range from just getting back in shape to fitness fanatics, so I think you will find some great discussions - join it!

See you there!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Pam! Will do by the way I am a Pamela too! (60)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

It is possible for seniors to lose weight with easy work out and diet plans. To lose weight, seniors should implement nutritious diets that include more fruits and vegetables. Consuming calcium, vitamins, protein rich foods like whole grains, whole wheat, cereals, lentils and eggs release the energy required for any physical activity. Slow aerobics and stretching exercises can also be incorporated in senior weight loss programs.

Link removed. Flenn08, read the FitDay Rules. Doesn't work anyways. I'm a girl so I would know.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 06-17-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 PM
FitDay Member

I will echo the advice above, I'm 49 and I have really noticed the slow down in my metabolism and I am finding it very hard to lose my weight but if you stick to a sensible eating plan and exercise the weight will go.

Also you don't really want to lose weight fast especially at out age we have enough sagging skin and wrinkles to contend with without the sagging that comes from a large rapid weight loss
Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

Actually, you might need to go see your doctor. I am almost 54 and did very well on Atkins--lost 40 lbs in two months...then it took another year to lose 7 lbs. It turned out that I had developed diabetes, my metabolism had slowed due to being through menopause, and I had a few other things going on.

Since I could show my doctor a year's worth of stats from fitday, she was able to help me. I would suggest that you keep stats for at least a month or two. I was able to show that I'd stayed under 40 carbs (and 1600-1800 calories) per day--for more than a year. For part of the time, I was immobile due to surgery--but that was the time period that I lost 40 lbs. My exercise increased gradually over the months following, but my weight loss slowed greatly.

I'm not a fan of weight-loss meds, but after 1 year of sticking to my lifestyle change and not seeing good results (and my blood sugar readings going crazy the last two months), my doctor changed my glumetza dosage and put me on phentermine. I still eat the same food and almost the same amounts, but my metabolism has sped up enough that I am now losing again.

But, as I said, talk to your doctor...there are more things that affect your weight loss than age.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Great advice!! We have to keep moving. I'm 71 and still active although I have let myself gain some weight. Now I'm working on that.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kia2006
Great advice!! We have to keep moving. I'm 71 and still active although I have let myself gain some weight. Now I'm working on that.
I think a lot of people gained weight during covid. It's being called the covid "19 pounds here" lol. I have a 71 year old relative that wants to sky dive. His doctor gave him the all clear. I offered to do it with him. People in my family tend to age well and they all swear it's because they are active.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.