FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Why am I not losing weight? (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/7457-why-am-i-not-losing-weight.html)

Zidanelin 05-22-2012 11:22 AM

.k;k

mecompco 05-22-2012 12:27 PM

Are you accurately tracking your calories? Although there is more to it, weight loss is basically maintaining a fairly consistent calorie deficit (burning more energy than you take in). It takes, on average, a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose one pound of fat.

My advice is to track your food intake as accurately as possible, along with your exercise for at least a couple of weeks. Also, though I guess it's possible, I think you may be burning significantly less than 700 cals on the treadmill.

In any case, don't give up and do let us know how you progress.

Regards,
Michael

RunbikeSki 05-22-2012 12:32 PM

Hey Zidanelin,
Are you eating enough??? Sometimes eating too little will actually cause you to stop losing weight... I know: weird. It is our body's way of protecting us from starving. It was great during our early evolution when starvation and deprovation were common. Not so great in modern life when we have an over abundance of food available. :cool:

Log you food for a week or 2 and see what your total calorie intake is. Also look closely at the pie chart. Are you getting at least 30% or your calories from protein?

Once you are armed with that information, you can make the appropriate adjustments. 1200 calories a day at your age and stage is a good target. Start with a 30-30-40 target for 30% of your calories from protein, 30% from fats, and 40% from carbohydrates. That is a good healthy pie chart.

I bet once you have those habits under your belt, you will start dropping pounds like a pro!

Keep us posted on your progress... we are in your corner Zidanelin.

RunbikeSki 05-22-2012 12:34 PM

hahahaha, Michael and I were typing at the same time, and we both had the same suggestions.

volleyballgranny 05-22-2012 01:30 PM

Track your foods and watch to see how different foods affect your body.

Try substituting vegetables for fruit for a week. If you are going to have fruit, choose those with less sugar. Also, watch your starchy veggies--all vegetables are not created equal. :)

With dedication, you can do it!

PS: You didn't say your height. It could be that your body is already at a healthy weight and you just need to tone up and maintain.

Christy824 05-22-2012 05:56 PM

Don't forget to take your measurements!! TES (The Evil Scale) may not say you are losing WEIGHT but since you are exercising so much, you may be dropping fat INCHES (much preferred by me!), so be sure to measure and blow a big fat raspberry to TES! :p

Zidanelin 05-23-2012 12:20 PM

last year, I also did diet by just eating alot on breakfast, fruits and vegetables for lunch and dinner. I lost about 10-15 pounds by just doing that. And when classes started, I stopped doing it and gained about 10 pounds again. I don't think that I eat alot, infact, in my group of friends (they are all thin btw, *about 95-105 lbs*) I eat the least. I had my blood checked and my cholesterol was even under the range and nothing is wrong with my thyroid.

Zidanelin 05-23-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 81717)
Are you accurately tracking your calories? Although there is more to it, weight loss is basically maintaining a fairly consistent calorie deficit (burning more energy than you take in). It takes, on average, a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose one pound of fat.

My advice is to track your food intake as accurately as possible, along with your exercise for at least a couple of weeks. Also, though I guess it's possible, I think you may be burning significantly less than 700 cals on the treadmill.

In any case, don't give up and do let us know how you progress.

Regards,
Michael


I actually burn 800-900 calories on treadmill. Thanks for the advice! :)

volleyballgranny 05-23-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zidanelin (Post 81791)
last year, I also did diet by just eating alot on breakfast, fruits and vegetables for lunch and dinner. I lost about 10-15 pounds by just doing that. And when classes started, I stopped doing it and gained about 10 pounds again. I don't think that I eat alot, infact, in my group of friends (they are all thin btw, *about 95-105 lbs*) I eat the least. I had my blood checked and my cholesterol was even under the range and nothing is wrong with my thyroid.

Please don't evaluate your own weight by that of your friends. Have you ever seen the picture of 5 women who each weigh the same? Their body-types are wildly different and you would never guess that they weigh the same. At 5'1" you may be a little heavy at 155, but you need to concentrate on a healthy diet right now...the healthy diet (watch the fruit, it can be very fattening) will be better for you than trying to lose weight fast.

For one week, track your carbohydrates more than your calories (it's easy on fitday). If you are over 100 carbohydrates a day (one apple = 19 carbs, 1 cup of pasta runs around 50 carbs), then that could be the reason you are not losing right now. Going healthy (no processed flours, sugars, etc) is a great start, but when you get to the tough part of losing, you have to take other factors into consideration.

Don't give up...every little change makes a difference in the long run.

mecompco 05-23-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zidanelin (Post 81793)
I actually burn 800-900 calories on treadmill. Thanks for the advice! :)

That's great! :)

Regards,
Michael


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2