Notices

Desk Work = Food Hell

Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Desk Work = Food Hell

Hiya!

I've been using Fitday to count calories (around 1550 a day) and check on protein, carb and fat levels for a good month and a half now.

I find the first couple of weeks were the easiest, lived on around 1400 cals. Then I guess my metabolism got kicked up a notch because of the 6 meals a day and the working out. So I added around 150 cals and that seems to work. I'm never hungry.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday are weight lifting days. Usually about 45 minutes. Tuesday and Thursday are cardio days (treadmill and stationary bike).
Plus I ride my bike to work at least 3 times a week which means 19 km in total on those days at a decent speed (around 25, 26km/h average).

Everything is going well except for one thing: I have a desk job!
And that means whenever it is not busy, I sit there on my butt and I can't stop thinking about food! Even when I am not hungry at all... I have no reasonable explanation for it, except boredom. I think about my meals for the next day, I think about what I am still allowed to have that day calorie-wise... I would eat anything and everything that crosses my path even when my stomach is full.

First I was thinking maybe I'm having too few calories, maybe my muscles need something extra... But in my opinion my food is healthy and varied (lots of whole wheat things, fruits, veggies and protein like lean meat, eggs and lowfat dairy).

Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips / ideas to change this?
It's driving me absolutely crazy
I have lost weight, but I would like to lose another 1,5kg and keep it off!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KellyDierick
I would eat anything and everything that crosses my path even when my stomach is full.
This is a typical symptom of a diet too low in essential fatty acids. Try adding some avocado and nuts to your salad, and see how much better you feel.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 PM
FitDay Member

Well, I have a small portion of mixed nuts every day (hazelnuts, almonds, cashews) and I cook with olive oil.
And when I don't forget, I have one capsule of fish oil every morning.

I thought that would be enough?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
FitDay Member

Very doubtful.

Remember -- fat is an essential nutrient! (Carbohydrates, btw, are not.)

When you have sufficient fat in your diet, you ARE NOT HUNGRY. If you're obsessing over food, you are quite simply not eating enough fat. When you have enough fat, you feel SATED. You are not interested in food as much -- you certainly don't obsess over it.

This is the reason people GAINED weight on the "Zero-Fat" diets of the 1990's. Their bodies were convinced they were starving, regardless of how many calories they consumed, because they were not getting the FAT their bodies needed.

If your daily fat intake is limited to a handful of nuts, cooking-oil, and one nutritional supplement, it is no wonder you daydream about food and don't feel satisfied even when your stomach is full.

See This Link for some information about the dangers of low-fat dieting (which it sounds like you are doing).

Here are some more links for you:
Low-fat Diet Myth
The Low-Fat Diet Flunks Another Test - NYTimes.com
Low-fat Diet Problems | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the link, interesting!

However, Fitday indicates that my daily fat-intake is between 25 and 40 grams. So that should be enough for my calorie-intake.

Maybe it's just because I have too much time to think about food :-)
When I'm busy, I don't have that problem.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

However, Fitday indicates that my daily fat-intake is between 25 and 40 grams. So that should be enough for my calorie-intake.

Good fats should be about 60% of your diet. Does 25 grams hit that percentage?

Next time you get that grazy-crazy need for food, try half an avocado. You can top it with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, a little mayo (not the low-fat kind), or an ounce of nuts (not peanuts). I've found that avocado, or even an ounce of cream cheese, will stop the grazy-crazy need. If I don't do that, I end up eating way more carbs (and calories) than I need.

Last edited by volleyballgranny; 05-05-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

If there's anyway to be able to stand at your desk and work, instead of sitting, do that. Some workplaces are encouraging that now. It means you are not sedentary, at least...
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
If there's anyway to be able to stand at your desk and work, instead of sitting, do that. Some workplaces are encouraging that now. It means you are not sedentary, at least...
Another thing I've read is to get up and go talk to a co-worker instead of sending an email. I like that. Personally, I send the email (for documentation) and then walk to the other class and verify that they received the email. I teach SpEd classes...my whole world is documentation, documentation, documentation.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with you. When I am busy, I totally can survive with 1200 cals. But when I have too much free time I thought of food. I love to cook and I want to cook this and that. And end up eat all of it. I ate 30-40% of fat so I don't think I lag of fat. I just simply bored. I need something to distract me from food.
So find some thing to do to kill the time. Walk around or some things
Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lastri
I agree with you. When I am busy, I totally can survive with 1200 cals. But when I have too much free time I thought of food. I love to cook and I want to cook this and that. And end up eat all of it. I ate 30-40% of fat so I don't think I lag of fat. I just simply bored. I need something to distract me from food.
So find some thing to do to kill the time. Walk around or some things
You thought of food? haha! Honestly! who doesn't! ( i am currently imagining my wife's beef burguignon ahh!! priceless! but of course you must still watch out for your food intake.But there were still times that I still yield in my little indulgence, lol!