FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Healthy Eating Habits and weight control with Banana (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/6848-healthy-eating-habits-weight-control-banana.html)

dbsupplies001 03-02-2012 06:42 PM

Healthy Eating Habits and weight control with Banana

Thin is not “in”. Healthy eating habits are not about starving yourself. If anything, healthy eating habits are about feeding our family adequately with foods selected from the five food groups (more about this later). When you adopt healthy eating habits and foods contain calories in adequate quantities

Once you take the first big step of saying “yes you can”, remember that from time to time you will crave for some of the junk foods you loved so much. For such occasions, keep a fruit handy. Any fruit will do, like calories in a banana. Have whenever you feel like eating a burger or French fries or whatever – fruit really does the trick!

VitoVino 03-03-2012 01:39 AM

This has been an advertisement from the Banana Republic. :D

Anyway, I happen to agree! Bananas are a great food choice!

Viva la banana!

jemcgarvey 03-26-2012 03:57 AM

Not to detract from your advice, I agree a banana every day is great, but remember it's a fairly simple carb. Fruit is better in the morning, when you're carb depleted, but later in the day stick with complex carbs (veg. etc.) or proteins and fats.

If the issue is satisfying hunger cravings, look to proteins or at least vegetables (which are simply low cal). Proteins digest slowly and require far more energy to digest per calorie, so they are the best way to feel full while avoiding overeating. Think tuna, chicken, or other fish---even beef is good just keep an eye on total dietary fats as beef is well stocked;)

The higher the index, the quicker your blood sugar kicks up - meaning the calories turn to fat more readily when not utilized:

lbruceolson 03-27-2012 06:04 PM

I've come to take the Primal Wisdom to heart and stop kidding myself. Banana is a high-carb fattening fruit. Dried fruits are even worse. I want them, but that's what they are. High-glycemic fruits are for eating in moderation after you have reached the weight you want.

VitoVino 03-28-2012 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by lbruceolson (Post 77533)
I've come to take the Primal Wisdom to heart and stop kidding myself. Banana is a high-carb fattening fruit. Dried fruits are even worse. I want them, but that's what they are. High-glycemic fruits are for eating in moderation after you have reached the weight you want.

Overall, sound advice in my opinion. Of course a person could also help themselves by taking a daily dose of chromium in order to increase insulin sensitivity and thus decrease the affect of eating the occasional high glycemic food. Fish oil is another good actor for insulin, keeping insulin levels lower.

taubele 03-28-2012 02:41 AM

I think it's all about what you have in front of you.

If my choice is between a banana and a cookie, I'll eat the banana every time.

If my choice is between a banana and a vegetable, it's going to depend on the vegetable, the time of day, and how I'm feeling. I'm probably never going to feel guilty for eating a banana because overall, compared to many other food choices, it's a sound choice.

I agree, however, about eating fruit in the morning - I tend not to eat fruit after noon or 1:00 or so, unless on the rare occasion I'm having a fruity dessert at a restaurant, or a friend's house party, or something like that (again, if my choice is between a fruit cocktail for dessert and a piece of chocolate cake, bring on the fruit!). Mostly this is because fruit IS a fairly simple carb (simple sugar) and it doesn't sit so well after mornings for me. I had no idea about the glycemic index when I started eating this way, it just seemed to make sense for my stomach, haha.

I totally agree that there is some fine wisdom here about more refined choices for food - when and where and how - but making the basic choice to eat more nutritionally vs. less nutritionally at any time of the day is always the right choice for me :)

TrainersRoom 05-15-2012 06:32 PM

Fruits and vegetables have vitamins, fiber and micronutrients and these are essential for our body and help a lot to reduce weight. Thanks.

canary52 05-17-2012 03:16 AM

You know what makes me crazy? How it' s all so complicated. I've heard the discussions about simple carbs vs complex and carbs vs protein and when to eat what and I've been on the diets, including the banana one (and felt like I had "banana posioning" - no thanks!) and part of me just feels like you want a banana eat a banana, you don't want one (for whatever reason) don't eat it. All this stuff gets too confusing and makes me feel like I'm running in place but getting nowhere. Sorry for the rant.

frenchhen3 05-17-2012 01:41 PM

Canary- It IS complicated. And people are very passionate about their choices. I try not to think too hard about it. I sort of go with the--- does this food just happen in nature?--- yes, then eat it in moderation. Boom. End of my dilemma of whether or not I should eat it or something else.

clarkslp 05-18-2012 03:05 AM

Canary: I agree that a lot of people make things more complicated than they need to be, or worry about subtle details while not seeing the big pictures. Here is my (still developing) philosophy:

First level: Calories out-calories in will determine weight loss. Burn more than you eat and you will lose weight. period. Everything comes back to this. Accurate tracking is critical.

Second: Deal with emotional or psychological issues that contribute to bad eating habits or poor physical activity habits. For some people this is probably the most important thing, for others not so much. But ignore this and progress will be impossible or at best short lived.

Third level: find ways to minimize calories in without suffering too much. Best way to do this is minimizing empty calories that do nothing to satisfy hunger. I found eating plenty of protein and fiber really helped avoid being too hungry...along with eating smaller portions more often throughout the day. Macronutrition (carbs/protein/fat ratios)

Fourth level: Maximize calories out. Exercise to burn calories and staying generally more active throughout the day. Also working to maintain muscle mass really makes a huge difference. If you lose muscle mass while losing weight your body is going to be burning fewer and fewer calories making it very hard to keep losing or even to maintain the lose you have already. I think it is also important to mix up exercises...if you are always doing the same thing, running for example, your body will become very efficient doing it and will burn fewer calories for the same amount of exercise.

Fifth level: fine tuning macronutriants (Carbs, Protein, Fat) and starting to watch micronutrition (vitamins and minerals). simple vs. complex carbs, tracking calcium, potassium, vitamins, etc. Also when to eat (don't eat late, don't eat fruit after noon, etc etc etc.)

Sixth level: General health. What foods help reduce the chance of cardio disease? Cholesterol, etc. etc. For those that are obese, these discussions can be secondary to losing the weight, since losing all the extra weight does more for health than anything else. Once the weight is coming off than worry more about tweaking the other things.

In my opinion a lot of people worry too much about about level five and six without really embracing level 1 or 2. For some it is just easier to deal with the details than to just starting eating less and moving more (i.e. quick fix diets).

Just my 2cents.

mecompco 05-18-2012 05:21 AM

That's it in a nutshell! Thanks for a great post. :D

Regards,
Michael

SailorDoom 05-18-2012 06:41 AM

Love your post clarkslp!! I have never thought about it in precisely that way, but I think you are totally right. I vote that this be added to the "Best Of Series"!