Notices

Run for the hills diet

Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Run for the hills diet

Hi!

The more I research the food supply the more I want to run for the hills!!!!! Argh!!!! Non-stop toxins!!! I'm surprised there are any people left alive. I guess the human body can take a lot of damage.

Here's what I recommend:

Choose food that has been "cared for" and touched by the least amount of people and machines.

This reduces your choice dramatically.

Closest diet: 80/10/10 - interesting perspective on species specific diet

Humans are so greedy we eat animals and their food. I wonder what other species think of us? Probably, we're full of ...........

Ha!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by food42
The more I research the food supply the more I want to run for the hills!!!!! Argh!!!! Non-stop toxins!!! I'm surprised there are any people left alive. I guess the human body can take a lot of damage.

I totally agree. For things that I eat a lot of, I try to buy organic. But yeah, the body is amazingly recuperative.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by food42
Humans are so greedy we eat animals and their food. I wonder what other species think of us? Probably, we're full of ...........
Help me understand, if we're not supposed to eat animals or their food, what are we supposed to eat? Carnivores eat animals. Vegetarians and vegans eat the animals food (fruits and vegetables), so please help me understand. Eat too many carrots and Bugs Bunny in Vitos avatar may starve and die.

If you don't want to be greedy then don't eat animals or their food and see how long you can survive.

Why would you care what other species think of us? I doubt if I were to see a cow she know that I ate a steak the other day. I'm sure if I were to go to the aquarium the fish aren't wondering if I eat fish. That's because they probably don't think about what we do, so why wonder about something that doesn't happen?

I think it's comical when people act like we are evil compared to animals when we eat animals. Animals kill each other everyday for food. At least we don't eat other humans, they wouldn't think twice about eating another animal OR human!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-22-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

"Toxins" in food is wildly overblown. Unless you're eating deadly nightshade, foxglove or death-cap mushrooms(yes, these are all organic and natural), the human body is quite capable of keeping itself clean.

Next time someone talks about toxins, ask them to name a few.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
"Toxins" in food is wildly overblown. Unless you're eating deadly nightshade, foxglove or death-cap mushrooms(yes, these are all organic and natural), the human body is quite capable of keeping itself clean.

Thank-you HC - couldn't have said it better myself
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe OP was referencing all the crazy additives, artificial colors/flavors and preservatives that are pumped into so many "foods" lining the grocery store shelves. Its always pretty shocking to read the label off something you previously thought was healthy only to discover it was more likely made in a chemistry lab than a kitchen. Monosodium glutamate, partially hydogenated vegetable oils and ammonium chloride make me want to run for the hills too!!

Just my two cents.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

Soy sauce is produced by fermentation with MSG as one of the by-products. All natural.
MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, a non-esssential amino acid.

Partly hydrogenated vegetable oil simply has a hydrogen atom added so as to produce a fat that is solid at room temperature. Not as good for you as the liquid oil but to put it in perspective,coconut oil is high in saturated fats.

Ammonium chloride is used as a yeast nutrient.

Just because a name sounds scary doesn't mean it is.
Better to look it up rather than fall for scare tactics.

ETA: One of the most dangerous substances on Earth is Dihydrogen Monoxide, it causes thousands of deaths each year.

Last edited by handcycle2005; 01-22-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 AM
FitDay Member

Lol HC!! I know what water is !! You're talking to someone working on a thesis in molecular biology.

I may be back in the college scene again, but nothing you can say will make me think ramen is health food

I really don't think I'm falling for scare tactics when I say these things are "bad". My point is that simpler whole foods are better -- for me, anyway -- than the alternative "foodlike substances" (as Michael Pollan would put it) available to me. I'm not saying this because I'm scared or unable to understand chemistry. I'm saying this because I KNOW I feel better eating simpler, less chemical-y stuff.

To illustrate this point, I'm typing this as I eat a bowl of oat groats with cinnamon instead of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, both of which are readily available to me in the breakfast aisle at the grocery store. For me this seems like a no-brainer.

I'm not saying its for everyone (heck, oat groats take an hour to cook!). I'm not saying eating sugary breakfast cereal will kill you. I'm certainly not saying I eat this way 100% of the time. I'm simply trying to make the point that its not so difficult to eat more basic foods that people prepare for themselves. I think it would be a little better for the planet and everyone's waistlines if this were more the norm.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

I agree the less processed the better. I just don't believe these additives are anywhere near as deadly as they've been portrayed.

With all the misinformation, deceptive advertising and borderline fraud that is rampant in the health food/supplement industries, they should look to clean their own house first.

However, they seem to be just as profit driven as any other industry and have even managed to get themselves exempted from many of the government health and safety controls.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SailorDoom
Maybe OP was referencing all the crazy additives, artificial colors/flavors and preservatives that are pumped into so many "foods" lining the grocery store shelves.
This is what I was thinking about when I agreed with the OP. But one thing you forgot to mention are residual insecticides. They are NOT listed anywhere yet we know they are present.

And let's not forget now matter how 'safe" big agra companies like Monsanto claim that their genetically engineered foods are, it's still an experiment. In 50 years if people are not getting sick from GMO foods THEN the jury will be in on this.

WHOLE FOODS, organically grown, are certainly a wiser choice considering the uncertainty surrounding additives, residual insecticides, and GMO produced foods. I would hope everyone could at least agree with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.