Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Run for the hills diet >

Run for the hills diet

Community
Notices

Run for the hills diet

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Pesticide levels are heavily regulated and kept to well below harmful levels. Levels are recorded and can be found at the EPA's website.
Example Cereal grains are restricted to no more than 1 part in 20 million. Not exactly a high dose.

What are your concerns with GM foods?
I've not seen one report of any harm from genetically modified foods.

Supplement companies are not required to prove their products work, are safe or even contain the ingredients claimed. There can be possible interaction with prescription medication.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
WHOLE FOODS, organically grown, are certainly a wiser choice considering the uncertainty surrounding additives, residual insecticides, and GMO produced foods. I would hope everyone could at least agree with this.

We can go around and around with this. So let's just cut to the chase. Do you believe that the WHOLE FOODS, organically grown, are NOT the wiser choice?

If so, why? If you do agree with the above, then what point are you trying to make here?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VitoVino
We can go around and around with this. So let's just cut to the chase. Do you believe that the WHOLE FOODS, organically grown, are NOT the wiser choice?

If so, why? If you do agree with the above, then what point are you trying to make here?
Hey I still want to know what a cow thinks of me. j/k
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

I believe they're a better choice for nutritional reasons. I just don't believe the food supply is brimming with toxic chemicals.

I looked up the ingredients for Wonder Bread (Classic)

enriched wheat flour,
yeast,
oat hull,
fibre,
sugar,
salt,
wheat gluten,
vegetable oil,
soybean and or canola,
vegetable monoglycerides,
calcium, propionate-mold inhibitor
fumaric acid -aciifier often used instead of malic or citric acid
calcium carbonate-calcium supplement
calcium sulphate -coagulant, also used in tofu
monocalcium phosphate -source of calcium and phosphorus
calcium pantothenate-pantothenic acid, part of the Vit. B complex
pridoxine hydrochloride-Vit B6
sorbic acid-prevents growth of yeast and mold.
May contain trace amounts of sesame seeds, milk products, egg products soy products.

I would rather not have moldy bread, other than that, I see no deadly chemicals.

Obviously, whole grain bread is a better choice nutritionally.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
I believe they're a better choice for nutritional reasons. I just don't believe the food supply is brimming with toxic chemicals.

Sure. That's reasonable. So it looks like everybody here is basically in agreement.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I think there is a difference between "toxins" and stuff you just do not need to put in your body. Most food have few true "toxins", but lots of processed foods have stuff that you really do not need to eat. There are, in fact, many "toxins", many if not most are actually "organic" at least in the chemical sense of the word as HC noted earlier. May I add tobacco and alcohol...

I totally agree that our bodies, in particular kidneys and liver are really, really good at removing stuff the might be harmful to our bodies, thus one does not need to spend a penny on DeTox methods, modes, or programs. But I am pretty sure that all of us agree that the fewer "additives" the better. A little MSG (as long as you have not reactions to it), sulfate (an essential element, BTW), and citric acid as flavor enhansers and preservatives really won't hurt you in moderation. But if all you eat is packaged, processed "franken-food" you might want to rethink your diet.