The No S diet

Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 PM
FitDay Member

Default The No S diet

This sounds so simple it's almost too good to be true, the basis rules are:

No Sweets
No Snacks
No Seconds

On days that start with S and on Special occasions you can break these rules.

This would be perfect for me to learn what "normal" eating is (always had sort of "disordered eating", alternating overeating with fasting, very successfully eating a normal 3 meals a day)

However.... The not snacking part, especially late at night, urgh!
I know that when the body starts protesting because it wants to maintain, and that in order to lose weight you got to just say NO but I find it so hard! I get restless and nervous and a bit of food seems to calm me down (I always regret afterwards)

So what are your tips for someone who needs to learn eating normally instead of focussing on a smaller size/lower numbers on the scale?

Thanks in advance for replying
Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

It sounds like you've got a pretty good plan, there, though the two "S" days a week might be a little much. And, are you watching your calorie deficit? At the end of the day, that's what counts the most. Since you asked, here is the strategy that I've used to lose 250+ pounds pretty painlessly:

Michael’s Weight Loss Plan
1) Zero tolerance for my “trigger foods” (candy, sweets, ice cream, bakery items and so forth).
2) 1500 “good” calories of “real food” a day (at least 1500 but less than 1600).
3) No soda at all, not even diet.
4) As little artificial sweeteners as possible.
5) Keep, on average, a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat mix.
6) No trans fats, reasonable amount of other fats.
7) Limit sodium as much as possible (not easy!)
8) At least 100 grams of protein per day.
9) Limit simple carbs (white bread, white potatoes, sugar).
10) Some sort of exercise every day, even a short walk.
11) Weigh in once a week or less often.
12) Log EVERYTHING eaten into FitDay, every day, no matter what.
13) Have one “day off” a month. Nothing off limits except “trigger foods” and get right back to normal the next day.
14) As little alcohol as possible, save it for the “day off”.
15) Take whatever vitamins/supplements deemed necessary.
16) Don’t EVER give up!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-07-2012, 05:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
It sounds like you've got a pretty good plan, there, though the two "S" days a week might be a little much. And, are you watching your calorie deficit? At the end of the day, that's what counts the most. Since you asked, here is the strategy that I've used to lose 250+ pounds pretty painlessly:

Michael’s Weight Loss Plan
1) Zero tolerance for my “trigger foods” (candy, sweets, ice cream, bakery items and so forth).
2) 1500 “good” calories of “real food” a day (at least 1500 but less than 1600).
3) No soda at all, not even diet.
4) As little artificial sweeteners as possible.
5) Keep, on average, a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat mix.
6) No trans fats, reasonable amount of other fats.
7) Limit sodium as much as possible (not easy!)
8) At least 100 grams of protein per day.
9) Limit simple carbs (white bread, white potatoes, sugar).
10) Some sort of exercise every day, even a short walk.
11) Weigh in once a week or less often.
12) Log EVERYTHING eaten into FitDay, every day, no matter what.
13) Have one “day off” a month. Nothing off limits except “trigger foods” and get right back to normal the next day.
14) As little alcohol as possible, save it for the “day off”.
15) Take whatever vitamins/supplements deemed necessary.
16) Don’t EVER give up!

Regards,
Michael
Amen, brother!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

Micheal Has a great plan! I would implant as much of it as you can.

On the snacking idea: I couldn't live without my snacks guaranteed if I sat down to dinner famished I would overeat. It takes about 20 min for food to make me feel full so snacks keep me satisfied all day so I never feel the need to fill myself up at meals.Some great snack ideas I use: apple and peanut butter, handful of nuts, yogurt and berries, avocado, hummus and veggie sticks, protein shakes anything healthy I try to stay under 150 cal per snack. I agree it's best not to snack late at night but a handful of berries anytime will not hurt your diet so snack smart.

I wish you great success on your new lifestyle choices.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
FitDay Member

Ditto what others have said...Michael really has a great plan.

Regarding Snacks, I think most nutritionist would agree that snacking during the day not only isn't a bad thing...it's a good thing. The caveat is that they need to be planned and healthy.

Both my wife and I have been successfully losing weight and having regular snacks. Snacks include fruit, Greek yogurt, peanuts, cheese sticks, etc. Personal I find snacks a great way to fill in if I am short on Protein, fiber, or whatever.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Thanx for all your answers, I find it hard to stick to one plan when there are so options, from eating small meals 6 times a day to intermittent fasting etc.

Still figuring out what strategy works best for me.

Michael you've got it going on man! Big fat kudo's on losing 250+ and pretty painlessly to boot, WOW, very inspirational!