Notices

Atkins to clear up eczema?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Atkins to clear up eczema?

Hi, I'm new here....I was wondering if anybody has tried the Atkins Diet to clear up dermatitis/eczema? I have it fairly bad for years. I've never been tested for celiac disease; every doctor I've seen just writes it off as dermatitis and gives me cortizone cream for it. But I'm starting to wonder if it is diet-related. I eat a lot wheat and love my milk and these two things I've heard can be the culprits in skin problems. So, my question is: has anyone been on Atkins and found it fixed their skin problems?
I'd love to hear your about your experiences,
Thanks,
Porkball

ps - and I'd like to lose about 25 pounds; hence the name "Porkball"
Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 PM
FitDay Member

Eczema is slightly occurs more common in girls than in boys. Eczema most commonly causes dry, reddened skin that itches or burns, so Avoid eating fruits like papayas, oranges because they indicates eczema...
Old 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Hi.

While I haven't tried the Atkins (and do not promote any special "diets" other than sensible nutrition..as in an actual nutrition course) I would encourage trying to go gluten free for a while...not carb free. Eliminating a possible allergen is different than a fad diet. You need to figure out how YOUR body responds to different types of food. It sounds like you are an intelligent person, with doctors who are less so, or at the very least they are impatient.

I am finishing my 1st week of gluten free, and already feel much better. I didn't have skin issues to begin with really, or so I thought, but have discovered that my skin looks so much better. I didn't realize the dinginess I had, till now.

I know a number of people who can't eat gluten. And I can say that there are a lot of health issues that can be traced back to it, so skin problems aren't out of the question. I have some other issues, that the gluten free seems to be helping (have not been tested for celiac either, I am just taking matters into my own hands and tummy

I just found this blog, she does a better job explaining stuff then a reply would allow. Are you new to gluten-free?

But I would say, if you go gluten free, don't get the prepackaged foods to substitute. At least not at first. They can cause their own set of problems, to put it delicately. There are whole grains that don't have gluten in them. This way you can have bread, minus the icky processed stuff, plus the nutrients and fiber we should all be getting.

I know this wasn't very informative, but I hope it helps in a pep talk kinda way. =0)
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

I have eczema and have had it my whole life. As a little girl I had it behind my ears and sometimes on my hands, these days I get it on my scalp specifically on the back of my head just above my neck. 90% of children affected with eczema are allergic to milk protein, but it's slightly less in adults. So I would suggest you I would try a milk-free diet for a couple of weeks and see if that does anything to improve your skin. Atkins isn't a milk-free program so if milk protein is your issue, that diet won't help your skin. Gluten intolerance (not to be confused with wheat allergy) aka celiac disease actually affects the intestines, specifically the large intestines and causes symptoms more in line with vitamin deficiencies and/or distress through the GI track.

I would also suggest that you find a good allergist and get a skin prick test to see if you are allergic to any foods. The 8 most common food allergies are caused by peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, wheat, soy, dairy, shell fish and wheat. Those 8 foods comprise 85-90% of all allergic reactions. So you might consider an elimination diet to determine if any of those bother you in the mean time. The last time I did an elimination diet, I lost 12 pounds, so chances are it won't hurt your waistline. There are several web-sites dedicated to the ideology behind the elimination diet, just google it.

I hate to say this but most of the people that I know with gluten intolerance are rail thin, have constant GI issues and can't gain weight. So if you truly need to lose 25 lbs, you're not a likely candidate for celiac disease. Wheat allergy is actually a completely different type of thing. It's similar to other types of allergies although it's generally a lesser reaction because the reaction is based on how the body responds to protein, which wheat does not contain high amounts of.

Last edited by almeeker; 08-07-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

If you suspect you have an alelrgy, eliminating likely allergens is a good idea. Many people crave the foods they are allergic to so wheat and dairy are a good start for you. Many people retain water weight by eating foods they are allergic to so you might find yourself losing weight by giving up carbs and by eliminating an allergy.

Last edited by rayray34; 08-13-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks for all your interesting replies

I think I probably should just go see my doctor about it again. I just finished reading "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD and he has a lot of interesting theories. What led me to that book was his claim that some celiacs don't have the classic intestinal symptoms; that there are many ways it manifests itself - including just the rash without any other symptoms. He also talked about how people with gluten intolerance aren't necessarily rail thin, and lots of people are actually obese. (I always thought along the same lines as you, Almeeker.) I was enjoying the read until I got to the part about what you can and can't eat. You can't eat much! He's also of the low-carb line of thought. The more I read about how to eat, the less I know! I was brought up the low-fat, high-fiber way and it's really hard to believe that isn't the way to eat....since it's mainstream and such. Anyhow, for two days in a row I tried not eating wheat - and only made it until lunchtime. How is that for a loser!? I just can't do it. In the past I tried not drinking milk and also failed. So, I think I have to just go back to my original way of (thinking about) eating and forget about low carb; and put up with the rashes. At least for now....maybe I'll re-visit the whole idea of eliminating something later...

ps Unfortunately, I can't do the low-fat thing, either...so basically I'm doing high-carb, high-fat....with quite a bit of wine. Sheesh, no wonder I'm lugging around the extra flab. That's the thing about Fitday - it really opens your eyes to how much you're eating (and drinking).
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Porkball
I think I probably should just go see my doctor about it again. I just finished reading "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD and he has a lot of interesting theories. What led me to that book was his claim that some celiacs don't have the classic intestinal symptoms; that there are many ways it manifests itself - including just the rash without any other symptoms. He also talked about how people with gluten intolerance aren't necessarily rail thin, and lots of people are actually obese. (I always thought along the same lines as you, Almeeker.) I was enjoying the read until I got to the part about what you can and can't eat. You can't eat much! He's also of the low-carb line of thought. The more I read about how to eat, the less I know! I was brought up the low-fat, high-fiber way and it's really hard to believe that isn't the way to eat....since it's mainstream and such. Anyhow, for two days in a row I tried not eating wheat - and only made it until lunchtime. How is that for a loser!? I just can't do it. In the past I tried not drinking milk and also failed. So, I think I have to just go back to my original way of (thinking about) eating and forget about low carb; and put up with the rashes. At least for now....maybe I'll re-visit the whole idea of eliminating something later...

ps Unfortunately, I can't do the low-fat thing, either...so basically I'm doing high-carb, high-fat....with quite a bit of wine. Sheesh, no wonder I'm lugging around the extra flab. That's the thing about Fitday - it really opens your eyes to how much you're eating (and drinking).
When we went wheat free at our house it took like 6 months to get the hang of it, and a year before it was second nature. No offense, but it really takes a lot longer than 2 days before you see results no matter what diet and exercise plan you're attempting. Have you tried dairy free yet? I suspect that milk allergy at the very least is contributing to your symptoms.

You're correct there are obese people with gluten intolerance, but the the majority of people that I know personally with celiac disease are very thin. Well they were thin until diagnosed, once they got a handle on their diets, some of them were able to gain weight for the first time in their lives without supplements.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Ha - had to laugh at that because it sounds just like me! I'm starting over again after almost a year hiatus from fitday. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Porkball
Hi, I'm new here....I was wondering if anybody has tried the Atkins Diet to clear up dermatitis/eczema? I have it fairly bad for years. I've never been tested for celiac disease; every doctor I've seen just writes it off as dermatitis and gives me cortizone cream for it. But I'm starting to wonder if it is diet-related. I eat a lot wheat and love my milk and these two things I've heard can be the culprits in skin problems. So, my question is: has anyone been on Atkins and found it fixed their skin problems?
I'd love to hear your about your experiences,
Thanks,
Porkball

ps - and I'd like to lose about 25 pounds; hence the name "Porkball"
I have rosacea--or, I should say, I used to have rosacea (for 30 years). As long as I stick to the Atkins diet--and smear coconut oil on my face daily, I have no outbreaks. When I was hospitalized (after NOT doing Atkins for a while), the meds caused an imbalance that made my rosacea almost unbearable--I wanted to scratch down to the BONE to stop the itching! I started using the coconut oil on my face and the rosacea went away almost immediately (I was afraid to take the prescription because it is known to cause intestinal problems). I now use the coconut oil behind my ears and on my scalp when I have itchy patches.
Originally Posted by rayray34
If you suspect you have an alelrgy, eliminating likely allergens is a good idea. Many people crave the foods they are allergic to so wheat and dairy are a good start for you. Many people retain water weight by eating foods they are allergic to so you might find yourself losing weight by giving up carbs and by eliminating an allergy.
It is true that we crave the foods to which our body is allergic. If you can find a copy of it at the library, read Abravnel's Body-Type Diet. They talk about food 'allergies' (the foods our bodies can't handle) and why we get cravings--best of all, they give tips for fighting the cravings.
Originally Posted by Yvone11
Our bodies have their own inner wisdom, and as we develop a relationship with our bodies, it becomes easier to know what we need and what helps to clear up our skin. I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.
This is true. Most 'diets' work, but NONE of them work if you don't make a lifestyle change--and, some changes are easier to maintain than others. I have tried almost every diet out there, but Atkins is the only one that worked the first time--and every time I go back to it. (Even when I was doing WW, I was doing Atkins...which really ticked off our WW leader--but, I wanted real food, not WW products.) Hmmm...the Lindora Clinic diet worked also, but it is VERY similar to Atkins.

To those who say Atkins is not healthy...read the book. Once you've read the book, then comment. Also, we need to keep in mind that the 'healthy' diets are often for 'healthy' people...those few extra pounds we carry are living proof that something in our system is not working properly. If we are overweight, our bodies treat everything (not just carbs) differently than if we were at an 'ideal' weight.