Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Medi-Cal Diet Dr. Daniels at Center for Advanced Medicine BJC St. Louis >

Medi-Cal Diet Dr. Daniels at Center for Advanced Medicine BJC St. Louis

Notices

Medi-Cal Diet Dr. Daniels at Center for Advanced Medicine BJC St. Louis

Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Red face Medi-Cal Diet Dr. Daniels at Center for Advanced Medicine BJC St. Louis

My husband and I started the "Medi-Cal" diet last Thursday. In one week I have lost 11.6 pounds and he has lost 12.2 pounds.

This is a medically supervised diet managed by a doctor in the Endocrinology department at Barnes Hospital / Center for Advanced Medicine.

The diet consists of drinking 5 protein shakes a day. Each one has 100 calories, 14 g of protein, 7 carbs, 0 fat and tons of vitamins and minerals. You have to have an EKG and blood work done to get into the diet and on a routine basis. You get a total of 500 calories a day. The doctor says the average weight loss is 4 - 6 pounds per week. Women lose about 4 pounds and men lose about 6 pounds per week. You are losing fat with this one. Not muscle.

The diet is a modified protein sparing fast or a type of ketogenic diet -- basically you eliminate carbs so that you can burn fat. Unlike other similar diets (Adkins) you eat 0 fat.

Seems to be working so far. I started at 236 pounds and a BMI of 41.8. I can't tell you how many diets I have tried. It was either this or looking into a weight loss surgery. My goal is 140 pounds or a BMI of 24.5.

We can say that neither of us is hungry. At 500 calories a day you would think we would be hungry. And, the shakes are kinda uchy tasting so we don't really even look forward to drinking them. The downside at the end of week 1 is the loss of energy. The manual states that the first two weeks are difficult and that energy improves after 2 weeks. So... we are looking foward to see how we feel in another week.

We will let everyone know our progress.

Steph

Starting Weight (9/22/2011) 236 / BMI 41.8
Goal Weight (4/1/2012) 140 / BMI 24.5
Today - 224.4

Last edited by sjd01; 09-29-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

Two weeks into the diet (As of 10/6.) Weight loss 17.4 pounds. Hubby has lost nearly 20.

My Current weight: 219.8
Total Pounds lost: 17.4
Mini Goal Weight: 200 by 11/15/11

Shakes less than appealing.

Too salty to be really sweet and too sweet to be savory. Tried different flavorings and extracts as suggested by the Doctor. At the end of the day decided to just add ice and water, a touch of splenda and run it through the Vitamix. Better. Not great.

Hunger? Not really which is amazing for eating less than 500 calories a day. Breakdown is 5 shakes - with 100 cal each, 14 gram of protein, 9 grams of carbs and 0 fat. All 5 shakes provide 100% of daily recommended vitamins and minerals. Still, we take a one a day supplement and a potassium supplement on M-W-F.

Food cravings? Yes. You would think with very low carb we would crave carbs but we aren't. Both hubby and I are craving meat -- specifically something grilled (and big.)

Other? Insomina like crazy. Some leg cramping at night.

Energy - Less than enthusiastic. Doctor says energy level should improve beginning week three. We will see. I attribute a lot of the energy issue to the lack of sleep. Also started a Zumba class -- just finished class #4. For a non coordinated klutz I can honestly say I love the Zumba classes and they burn 500+ calories an hour.

Next appointment is October 24. Will include new CBC/CMP to ensure everything is within normal range.

Last edited by sjd01; 10-09-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks for the update. Glad you're doing well. As to the hunger, I've not too surprised. On a long fast, even with "0" calories the hunger pretty much subsides after a couple of days.

I can appreciate the shakes getting old!

Now, my question is what happens when you guys check out of the facility and go back to "real life"? I know what's happened to me in the past and I'd hope they are taking steps to help prepare you for long-term success.

Regards,
Michael
Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
FitDay Member

You can simply follow this link hdl ldl cholesterol ratio that will give you some necessary tips.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:31 PM
FitDay Member

Smile hows it going?

i saw where you were following the Medical weight loss program. i just started it today. how are you currently doing?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation now or never

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I kept my doctor's appoinment that started my Journey to weight loss via the Medi-cal Protein Supplement weight loss program. i really need to stay on this program because my health is failing due to my obesity. i weighed in at 324 pounds. I'm on every kind of medicine you can think of. I'm hoping that not only will i lose 160 pounds, but i will be able to discontinue all this medication i currently take. i already have a headache today from not eating, but i'm determined to stay on program, even if it kills me. i'm taking this day by day. If i lose the average 5 pounds per week according to the program, then i should reach my goal weight by the end of November of this year! That bit of information really motivates me. Next weigh in on March 16th.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Medi-cal

I just started the program on Monday. Lost 6 lbs in the first two days. I really feel fine, I was expecting to have some caffeine withdraw headaches but I don't. I started at 237 and I hope to loose about 100 lbs. I'm a really picky eater and was worried that I would have a hard time downing these shakes... They're not delicious, but not that bad. So far I've tried the chocolate with a teaspoon of sugar free chocolate pudding and vanilla with a teaspoon of sugar free cheesecake pudding, the chocolate was pretty good and the cheesecake was just ok. I got some lemon pudding I'm gonna try today, I'll let you know. Sugar free jello is actually pretty good! I also really like the mio water flavor. For exercise right now I'm tackling my spring cleaning list then I plan to walk with my brother who lost 200 lbs on this diet. The only negative I can think of right now is having to use the bathroom constantly.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Feeling great!

I'm on day 25 and have lost 20lbs! I feel crazy good! Don't get me wrong, I do want some nachos, but feeling so good and seeing the results is worth it. I'm getting used to drinking so much water, but can't get over the nasty taste in my mouth. I hope you're doing well too Jaygo!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Started June 25

Start weight June 25 - 215
7 days later - 202
Goal weight is 145

I am hungry and craving meat. Tomorrow is the 4th of July and I'm dying for a burger.

Good energy, no other side effects.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Medi-Cal Update requested

How are any of you doing in 2013? Was this successful for you? Myself and my son are thinking about trying Medi-Cal. I have close to 100 lbs to lose and he has over 200. Do any of you have advice? Hoping to hear from someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.