Notices

The I'm Not Following a Specific Diet - Diet

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default The I'm Not Following a Specific Diet - Diet

I've done quite a few. Slimfast, Atkins, Calorie Counting, Starvation, Detoxes, Sugar Busters, Homepathic HCG, blah blah blah. I've gone up and down in weight so much in the last decade. Ughhh.

But I've learned a lot. I've learned what foods contain what nutrients. I've been down the organic, low calorie road and yeah . . . it worked for a while. But it wasn't a lifestyle. I eventually became an avid water-drinker. Guess that was a plus. It's been a long road.

So I watched the documentary on Netflix called: "Fat Head: You've Been Fed A Load of Bologna," and it inspired me.

Then I read the recommended reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes during the first couple of months or so.

Little by little I've been cuttin' back on the carbs and sugars. No, not completely. If I want to eat a piece of Cuban Bread, a Ham Croquette or some Arroz con Pollo (mom's is THE best of course) then I will. But . . . at the beginning, not so much. Maybe one little splurge per weekend or somethin'. I haven't been exercising like crazy either. About 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week in the beginning. Haven't done much the last month, but I plan to get back to it starting next week.

And that's it. FitDay has really put things into perspective for me and I recommend it to everyone. Wish they had an Android app tho. I've even inspired some of my close friends and family to do the same.

So yah. Basically, you just gotta follow what you find to work best for you. Although . . . I really recommend the documentary. It inspired me, big time. 43 lbs in about 4 months.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! And . . . AGREED. You've gotta be comfortable with making a lifestyle change. Really believe in what you are consuming and what you are doing. Otherwise, like you said, you'll eat a certain way until u lose the weight and when u go back to your old "normalcy" then uhh yeah, u'll progressively gain it all back. I know, I've been down that road a few times. But . . . all the knowledge I've gained from reading has really taught me quite a bit and even though I can't say that I've made a COMPLETE turn-around and lost my cravings for certain things . . . I can say I really think I'm well on the way. ^_^
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Just saw your progress pics.... Go speed racer go!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

hahah, thanks. i'm guessing you drive a stang, eh?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not following any name brand diet, but I've got a fairly specific plan that I've found works for me, both in terms of weight loss and satisfaction. I just try to hit these targets:

-1200 calories (1500 on special occasions) : for weight loss
- calories split pretty evenly between protein, carbs and fat : for satisfaction
- meet minimum RDA on all major nutrients : for health

I also swim, bike and do weights to feel good and keep metabolism boosted.

This works fine on day to day life. I still struggle with stress eating on occasions, but it's getting better.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

stress/anxiety eating is a killer. props to you, though. I really really really hate exercising. Maybe it's 'cause i haven't found something i very much enjoy doing yet. i wish i could bike or train as hard as some people i know.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

I have tried so many different diets that it is really sick. Most of them seemed to work, but just for a while, and then I dropped off them and gained back the weight. I guess that is the most common thing that happens.

Changing the whole lifestyle thing is probably the answer, but I have not been able to do that quite yet. I am getting better, but I have a long way to go. So right now, I am not on any famous name-brand diet, just trying to get by on 1500 calories.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Florida Ray
I have tried so many different diets that it is really sick. Most of them seemed to work, but just for a while, and then I dropped off them and gained back the weight. I guess that is the most common thing that happens.

Changing the whole lifestyle thing is probably the answer, but I have not been able to do that quite yet. I am getting better, but I have a long way to go. So right now, I am not on any famous name-brand diet, just trying to get by on 1500 calories.
You should really consider watching the documentary I mentioned in my original post, and/or reading the book i mentioned in the original post. i've quit calorie counting all together. it's just so misleading, especially when u go to the food store and buy "100 calorie" stuff that's loaded with sugars and/or carbs.

the lifestyle change is the biggest part of it. and it only comes after immersing yourself and becoming more aware of what you eat . . . after a long time. it definitely doesn't happen overnight, i can tell you that. and we will have our relapses. but eventually i think it's doable. so long as we bear in mind that new habits take a while to establish.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

When I started with FitDay, I also started with Atkins. That worked really well for me, until I "fell off the wagon" I lost 50 lbs in 6 mos. I don't remember why. At least I didn't do the "gained it all back and then some" routine.

I'm trying to watch what I eat, not over do or starve myself. My BF and I belong to a CSA which gets us fresh local veggies from June to November. I am also trying to get my activities up - we're adding in yoga at least 2x a week, and I also do pilates (1x) and dance (1-2x).

Have to get in more walking, put batteries into my pedometer and put it back on my hip (doesn't do me a lot of good on the nightstand). Goal is supposed to be 10,000 steps per day - LOL. First I'll find out where I am right now and work from there.

My profile is public, so I welcome people to look and admonish/encourage.

(I've added your movie suggestion to my Netflix list. oh, and I also occasionaly drive at pocono raceway)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

See how it goes. Often a little change will speed things back up. I've actually been eating on average more calories and my loss has increased. Of course, I've also been more active, not sitting in front of a keyboard all day as I do from August to June.

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.