Notices

Atkins

Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ljpineau1
Is there a good site to get the original plan for Atkins and to know the full parameters for the INDUCTION? I too love the Less Carbs thing and would love to do this INDUCTION period instead of just the diabetic diet (I am not diabetic, just love the diet). Very Interested... Thanks. LJPINEAU1
A. Get the book.
B. Google the website:

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-23-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by viridiann
Anyone doing ATKINS diet?
Anyone on the Atkins Diet should read "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman M.D. It will make you think twice about eating all of that unhealthy food. I have been using his recommendations for about 3 weeks now and I feel absolutely great and have lost almost 10 lbs., glucose is near normal, and so is my blood pressure.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by picthat
Anyone on the Atkins Diet should read "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman M.D. It will make you think twice about eating all of that unhealthy food. I have been using his recommendations for about 3 weeks now and I feel absolutely great and have lost almost 10 lbs., glucose is near normal, and so is my blood pressure.
Wow. A whole three weeks?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Balance

Fitme, Thanks for the link. That was a good article. People recently have been asking me how I've lost (some) weight, usually with some variation of a question of what diet I'm on,. I tell them "a balanced diet."
When I think about it a bit, it's three things:
  1. Exercise
  2. Log everything it Fitday
  3. The 'Pollan' Plan: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." [http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ne...es-for-eating]
Mainly - try to stay away from processed foods.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fitmie
I got confused, when I read an article about Atkins diet.
The article says nothing about Atkins or his diet. No wonder you're confused.
They say the problem with this diet ...
No, it doesn't.
is its reliance on protein because this diet tends to eliminate carbs and sugar. High protein diets out the body into a state of ketosis
No, it says zero, zip, nada, bupkis about ketones or ketogenic diets.
causing head ache, bad breath, nausea and carb cravings due to depleted glycogen stores.
Put it this way: would you suggest a heroin addict avoid detox because of nausea, heroin cravings, or a few headaches? Of course not!

As for the 'bad breath', -- it comes with the territory. If it bothers you a breath mint will fix you right up.
So is that true?
Half-point for the 'bad breath'. The rest is utter horse-crap.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 PM
FitDay Member

lowcarb.ca is my favorite site
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Started Atkins again 01/07/13

Hi,
Back about 12 years ago now, my brother was diagnosed as obese and had to start taking high blood pressure medicine. They also believed him to be diabetic. He had enough and started Atkins. He lost 55lbs on Atkins and then started body building. He has done several body building and power lifting competitions and 12 years later is in the best shape of his life at 44 years old. He was my inspiration for starting Atkins.
I was 34 years old and recently single. Facing dating for the first time in my life at a weight of almost 180lbs was just not appealing. I started Atkins with a goal of about 150lbs. I surpassed that goal and maintained a size 6 at 130-137 lbs for 4 1/2 years! I had never found anything in my whole life that had worked for me but Atkins seemed to be the way.
In the past several years I started my own business and now work 2 full time jobs (the day job and my business). I stopped eating right and stopped exercising. It's taken a long time to gain the weight back and I've gone up and down but this fall, I lost my father and since that time have been eating for the past 3 months from grief and convenience. I gained 15lbs since October and basically am starting at 170lbs.
After only a few days on Atkins I have to say that I feel a lot better. I'm actually trying to restrict my calories this time as well as carbs. I can maintain my weight indefinitely by limiting my carbs but I seem to need a bit of calorie restriction to really lose weight and lose quickly which is why FitDay works so well. Makes it easy to log my food and really see what I'm doing. So, I'm about to turn 41 in February and I'm really hoping to find the lasting commitment I had to the program before. I still have 2 jobs and too many obligations for my time but the farther away I get from fitness, the less I am able to do. Thanks for listening, I needed to write about this and remind myself about my journey on this plan. It has changed my life completely before and it can do it again.

BTW, I love to cook and after many years on Atkins I am an ace at making substitutes for almost anything I might be craving. I have tons of fabulous recipes and tips for making things taste good.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins diet

Would you mind explaining me what do you exactly mean by Atkins diet and in what way it is helpful?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Can relate

So many things you've said ring true for me as well. I was a faithful low carber for over 4 yrs. Went from 177 to 117 in about 5 months. Maintained for years. 16 yr relationship gone, relocated cross country, single mom of 3 boys, lost a job and 'relapsed' with my eating and endulged in nightly drinks.

Back at 174 and one week in to induction. On my second week, beginning Monday I will start to also cut back on calories, which is basically only having chicken, fish and occasional pork.

I think the biggest change and adaption that Im dealing with is my Splenda. I have dropped down to 6 packets per day from about 12.

Best of luck to you and all the others that join in on this wonderful way of life.

Are you recipes posted anywhere. I'd be interested to see.

Originally Posted by flexibugle
Hi,
Back about 12 years ago now, my brother was diagnosed as obese and had to start taking high blood pressure medicine. They also believed him to be diabetic. He had enough and started Atkins. He lost 55lbs on Atkins and then started body building. He has done several body building and power lifting competitions and 12 years later is in the best shape of his life at 44 years old. He was my inspiration for starting Atkins.
I was 34 years old and recently single. Facing dating for the first time in my life at a weight of almost 180lbs was just not appealing. I started Atkins with a goal of about 150lbs. I surpassed that goal and maintained a size 6 at 130-137 lbs for 4 1/2 years! I had never found anything in my whole life that had worked for me but Atkins seemed to be the way.
In the past several years I started my own business and now work 2 full time jobs (the day job and my business). I stopped eating right and stopped exercising. It's taken a long time to gain the weight back and I've gone up and down but this fall, I lost my father and since that time have been eating for the past 3 months from grief and convenience. I gained 15lbs since October and basically am starting at 170lbs.
After only a few days on Atkins I have to say that I feel a lot better. I'm actually trying to restrict my calories this time as well as carbs. I can maintain my weight indefinitely by limiting my carbs but I seem to need a bit of calorie restriction to really lose weight and lose quickly which is why FitDay works so well. Makes it easy to log my food and really see what I'm doing. So, I'm about to turn 41 in February and I'm really hoping to find the lasting commitment I had to the program before. I still have 2 jobs and too many obligations for my time but the farther away I get from fitness, the less I am able to do. Thanks for listening, I needed to write about this and remind myself about my journey on this plan. It has changed my life completely before and it can do it again.

BTW, I love to cook and after many years on Atkins I am an ace at making substitutes for almost anything I might be craving. I have tons of fabulous recipes and tips for making things taste good.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default No one is the same

Good advise, in part.

Everyone is not the same. When I started Atkins in 2004, I did start and end 5 yrs later, on a 'modified' Atkins. Meaning, I was not going by the book, word for word. But definitely doing low carb, with much success.

I have not refreshed and read the book. I, personally don't need it. You stick to low carb, with little to no sugars, more fat than proteins and you will see results.

Originally Posted by dread77706
Buy, borrow, or steal the book: "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution".
Read it. Understand it. Realize it's a lifestyle change. You will never stop eating like this.

If you decide to go with it, don't experiment with the induction phase.
Later, you'll get a little room to try different things, but once past the first two or three weeks, you'll understand that starches and sugar are responsible for making you fat, and you'll avoid food that contain unnecessary amounts of carbs and sugar.

Above all, don't make up your own diet.
The silliest posts imaginable start with "I'm on a modified Atkins, ..." Uh, no they're not on Atkins.
They're on "A Goofy Made-Up Eating Plan That Stole the Atkins Name Diet"

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.