Notices

Atkins

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 PM
FitDay Member

I drop weight like crazy on induction. I did induction for a month and lost 32 pounds. Since then I have slowly switched to just counting calories and I'm still losing as I've lost 31 more in the last 2 months. If I plateau I'll do a day or two of induction and it seems to jump start my weight loss again.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:08 PM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone - I'm back to Atkins after a few years. I lost 25 pounds on it a few years ago and have found that of all the diets, my body seems to like it the best. I always feel much more clear headed and sharper when I eat fewer carbs.

I agree with those who suggest sticking to clean foods when doing Atkins - forget the bars and other processed foods and stick to real foods - vegetables, meat and dairy and it will work! The original plan from 1972 is the way to go.

The only thing I really miss is a glass of wine for the first few weeks while on Induction!

Jemma
Old 07-18-2012, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Diet Update: 20 pounds down!

Just a quick diet update. Its been a bit over 6 weeks for me on Atkins and I have lost a little over 20 pounds! All side effects of the diet (Atkins flu: headaches, tiredness, cramps) have been gone since about the third week. Symptoms disappeared when I included 1-2 cups of chicken stock a day (for sodium replenishment). I started incorporating exercise in the diet about a month into it and have taken a cautious approach. I have taken Gary Taubes (author of Why We Get Fat) warnings of exercise making you hungry seriously. I've been doing about 20min of cardio 6 days a week at a medium pace and have avoided brutally difficult workouts like the plague.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Hey, been a while since I posted.

I'm down at least 36 lbs since I started. I'm still (mostly) on-plan, though there are times (6+ hour car trips in an un-air-conditioned truck when it's over 100 degrees out), when I'll consciously "cheat". (That car ride? Calls for a milkshake at some point, to help drop core temp... And my migraines sometimes call for dark chocolate. Seriously, for me, it helps... a LOT.)

Also? My scale is busted! So I'm not sure where my actual weight is. I've really got to get a new one, but all the money this summer has been going towards camping.

Some things I've seen:

"Net carbs" -- Net carbs is total carbs - fiber. Don't believe them when they tell you sugar alcohols don't count -- for far too many people, they do. I've known too many people who stall or even gain from a single Atkins bar...

If you want a tasty alternative to the bars, that take about 1/2 hour to make, try this:

Ingredients:
  • Flax Seed Meal (ground flax), 1 cup
  • Almonds, 1 cup, ground
  • Cinnamon, ground, 1 TBS
  • Ginger, ground, .5 tsp
  • Nutmeg, ground, .5 tsp
  • Cloves, ground, .25 tsp
  • Macadamia Nuts, .25 cup, whole or halves
  • Coconut Oil, .25 cup (= 4 TBS)
  • Egg, fresh, 2 large
  • Vanilla Extract, 1 tbsp

Combine dry ingredients. Beat eggs, and add coconut oil, vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix well.

Form into bars (1" x 4" to get a dozen). Bake at 350 on a well-greased cookie sheet (use more coconut oil!) for 10-15, until a bar flicked with a fingernail gives a "tap" sound.

Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe
12 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 162.1
Total Fat 14.6 g
Saturated Fat 5.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.5 g
Cholesterol 30.8 mg
Sodium 12.3 mg
Potassium 123.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 5.0 g
Vitamin A 1.1 %
Vitamin B-12 1.3 %
Vitamin B-6 1.7 %
Vitamin C 0.4 %
Vitamin D 1.7 %
Vitamin E 10.5 %
Calcium 4.6 %
Copper 5.6 %
Folate 1.7 %
Iron 7.1 %
Magnesium 6.6 %
Manganese 22.4 %
Niacin 2.0 %
Pantothenic Acid 0.5 %
Phosphorus 6.0 %
Riboflavin 5.8 %
Selenium 0.7 %
Thiamin 3.6 %
Zinc 2.8 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

OPTIONS:

Add sweetner of your choice.
Add 1 Cup blueberries, which drives calories per serving to 168.9 and carbs to 2.5/serving.
Change up the spices. (A friend used anise, instead of the "spice-cookie" spices. Hubby wants to try using mint.)

(Good for all Atkins phases past Induction.)

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 08-08-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jemma4444
I agree with those who suggest sticking to clean foods when doing Atkins - forget the bars and other processed foods and stick to real foods - vegetables, meat and dairy and it will work! The original plan from 1972 is the way to go.
Amen, sister! That IS the secret to success!

I don't know my current weight... but looking at my body right now, it bears no resemblance to the "me" of January. My legs look great, my arms are thinner, and my torso has a non-blob shape again. I don't do bars or shakes, I eat whole foods, that I make from raw ingredients in my kitchen. And the fat falls off.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins

Originally Posted by viridiann
Anyone doing ATKINS diet?
Yes. Just completed week 1 and lost 4lbs well pleased.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 PM
FitDay Member

I've lost now 13lb in 2 weeks, I stuck to strick atkins for the fist 2 weeks, no shakes or bars, but cooked all the food by myself, and lots of eggs, as I'm quite poor to have steak 3 times a day I'm also aware that some of it was water weight, but it did feel good to see the scale move, I weighed myself daily, but from next monday I shall start doing it weekly, as the weight loss is suppose slow down a bit, and weighing daily can discourage. But deffanately sticking to this woe, I feel so much better.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

Hi folks, first day on induction and using fitday for purposes of counting. I did 2 weeks induction before and lost 10kg (20lbs) but got complacent too quick and have put 4kg back on...

I quit smoking in Jan and since then have gained a lot of weight, 20kg (40lbs), happy i quit the smoking but the change had a massive impact on my metabolism I guess..

Hoping to lose weight and get back some level of fitness also...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Cool

I have started the atkins diet as well it's been about 16 days and I have already lost almost 16 lbs. I was 271 now I am almost 255. Very happy about the results thus far. I have done low carb/atkins/or my own version of the atkins and it always works for me. Yes I am eating and I plan to keep doing this for another 3 months. Sometimes, when I do feel like eating something sweet. I will eat an apple or eat a piece of halloween candy; so far it hasn't hurt me. I think tricking the body is the key to weight loss.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jemma4444
Hi everyone - I'm back to Atkins after a few years. I lost 25 pounds on it a few years ago and have found that of all the diets, my body seems to like it the best. I always feel much more clear headed and sharper when I eat fewer carbs.

The only thing I really miss is a glass of wine for the first few weeks while on Induction!

Jemma
Is there a good site to get the original plan for Atkins and to know the full parameters for the INDUCTION? I too love the Less Carbs thing and would love to do this INDUCTION period instead of just the diabetic diet (I am not diabetic, just love the diet). Very Interested... Thanks. LJPINEAU1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.