Notices

Atkins

Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins

Yep I am doing Atkins. I did it back in 2005 and lost 35 pounds in 3 weeks. It took 2 attempts for me to get through the induction flu stage but once I did it, the weight just fell off. I will add that I was hitting the gym doing aerobics and step classes and as much cardio as humanly possible and it was difficult as my muscles really felt it without the carbs in my body but I I managed and did my 1st aerobics class yesterday. I will say boy am I feeling it today but I shall soldier on and am looking forward to meeting others who are also on the same journey I am on. I will add I quit smoking 12 days ago as well so keeping the weight off is a must for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rikey12
I've heard that atkins diet is quite effective. I really wanna try it.
I highly recommend that you do. It really works if you follow it exactly how it says. I lost 35 pounds in like 3 weeks back in 2005 on it and have restarted it again this week. It does work. Good luck if you decide to go for it
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gotthardgirl
I highly recommend that you do. It really works if you follow it exactly how it says. I lost 35 pounds in like 3 weeks back in 2005 on it and have restarted it again this week. It does work. Good luck if you decide to go for it
If there is a diet that works it's this one. I went from 220 to 160 in under 5 months. I went back up to 190 over the next sixth months but I've managed to shed 8.8 pounds in two weeks. My body fluctuates like crazy. It's really easy for me to lose and gain. Stay with this plan though. Reach ketosis at all costs, its worth it.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Yep I am doing Atkins. I did it back in 2005 and lost 35 pounds in 3 weeks. It took 2 attempts for me to get through the induction flu stage but once I did it, the weight just fell off. I will add that I was hitting the gym doing aerobics and step classes and as much cardio as humanly possible and it was difficult as my muscles really felt it without the carbs in my body but I I managed and did my 1st aerobics class yesterday. I will say boy am I feeling it today but I shall soldier on and am looking forward to meeting others who are also on the same journey I am on. I will add I quit smoking 12 days ago as well so keeping the weight off is a must for me.
It's too late now, but if you read the Atkins books, they say not to exercise the first two weeks on Induction--your body needs time to get used to the lack of carbs. I was a competing athlete (track & field, volleyball, basketball, softball) until just a few years ago (when injuries sidelined me from VB, BB, and SF). I never missed the carbs...you get your energy from the carbs in veggies and protein.
Make sure you read one of the books. (You can get them for Kindle, if that is easier for you.) It's very important to know the science behind the plan or you are more tempted to cheat. Also, you can't take another person's word for what Atkins actually is...you need to know for yourself. Atkins and low carb are two different things...and the nay-sayers to Atkins have rarely read the books. They are going by what they heard from their best friend's cousin or something.
Originally Posted by Dyeb16
If there is a diet that works it's this one. I went from 220 to 160 in under 5 months. I went back up to 190 over the next sixth months but I've managed to shed 8.8 pounds in two weeks. My body fluctuates like crazy. It's really easy for me to lose and gain. Stay with this plan though. Reach ketosis at all costs, its worth it.
It takes time for your body to re-set its weight anchor...and, you lose better/faster when you are younger. Also, you lose better before your insulin process is broken. Even though I controlled my bs and my weight with Atkins/low carb for 30+ years, it doesn't work the same now. Now I am concentrating on getting the bs to an acceptable range...Atkins says not to look for weight loss until the bs is under control.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! It's been a while since I checked in -- been a busy few months.

Our family has added a few things to our staple-shelves: Flax seed meal and coconut oil. We love them both. And they've given rise to the following:

LOW CARB BREAKFAST BARS:

Ingredients:
  • Flax Seed Meal (ground flax), 1 cup
  • Almonds, 1 cup, ground
  • Cinnamon, ground, 1 TBS
  • Ginger, ground, .5 tsp
  • Nutmeg, ground, .5 tsp
  • Cloves, ground, .25 tsp
  • Macadamia Nuts, .25 cup, whole or halves
  • Coconut Oil, .25 cup (= 4 TBS)
  • Egg, fresh, 2 large
  • Vanilla Extract, 1 tbsp

Mix dry ingredients. Beat eggs, mix in other wet ingredients, and add to dry ingredients.

Form into bars (1"x4" to get 12 from the recipe) and bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes, until there is a "tap" when you flick one with a fingernail.

Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe
12 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 162.1
Total Fat 14.6 g
Saturated Fat 5.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.5 g
Cholesterol 30.8 mg
Sodium 12.3 mg
Potassium 123.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 5.0 g
Vitamin A 1.1 %
Vitamin B-12 1.3 %
Vitamin B-6 1.7 %
Vitamin C 0.4 %
Vitamin D 1.7 %
Vitamin E 10.5 %
Calcium 4.6 %
Copper 5.6 %
Folate 1.7 %
Iron 7.1 %
Magnesium 6.6 %
Manganese 22.4 %
Niacin 2.0 %
Pantothenic Acid 0.5 %
Phosphorus 6.0 %
Riboflavin 5.8 %
Selenium 0.7 %
Thiamin 3.6 %
Zinc 2.8 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Options:
  • Add sweetner of your choice.
  • Add 1 Cup blueberries, which drives calories per serving to 168.9 and carbs to 2.5/serving.
  • Change up the spices. (A friend used anise, instead of the "spice-cookie" spices. Hubby wants to try using mint.)

For the children, we make them sweet. Then we form them up in little "tea-cookie-sized" balls (around 1 teaspoon) and push a raisin in the top, and call them "cookies". When they're hungry, they eat cookies. Then they're NOT hungry, and are also not sugar-high.

This is NOT an induction-friendly food, as it has seeds and nuts.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 PM
FitDay Member

I was on this years ago and dropped from 282 to 202, but I let depression win out and I gained it all back and then some. I have dropped 40 to 60 pounds on 2 or 3 other occasions.

I stayed in induction for a month and dropped 30 pounds. I have now added nuts, berries and veggies like peas and green beans. Now, after 51 days of Atkins I have dropped from 300 lbs to 259.6.

So what's different this time. I'm going to make a lifestyle change. I am going to exercise. I am going to get my weight down under 170 and I am going to be a running machine (the rest of my family runs--I have people to do this with).

I never feel bad on Atkins like many people report. From day 1 I always feel better. I have started running now and I'm up to 1 mile per day (I know, not exactly the Boston Marathon, but I'll get there).

The only discomfort I do experience is diarrhea the first 1-3 weeks.

I also have developed a severe Diet Mtn Dew addiction.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gnattylove
I am doing a modified version of Atkins. I eat 20 carbs or less for 3 days then on day four I eat higher carbs. Not bad carbs but apples, bananas, whole grain bread, oatmeal, etc. Then go back to three days under 20 carbs. It has helped me stay on the diet and I am actually losing weight like crazy. I was having long plateaus on just doing 20 carbs or less a day. I can stick to this better because I know I can have the higher carb fruits and veggies and that forth day.

Hope this helps,
Natalie
Yeah, I will, on occasion, take a day where I eat more carbs than allowed, but on those days I will switch to calorie counting and I'll make myself stay under 1800 calories. So, I'm not denying myself forever. I just make sure I count the calories when I have a "treat."
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

Hi
I posted this earlier in the newbie thread. I was guided to this thread and may I say I am looking forward to others insights, info and recipes.

New to FD. I am trying to navigate the site so forgive me if I post in the wrong category.

I started May 30th @ 303lbs. I can't tell you how difficult it is to say that #.
My husband doesn't even know my weight. But if I have learned nothing over the years I have learned to just spit it out and get over it. So here I am.

I started Atkins. Dr. said I have a fat tooth not a sweet tooth. 1st time I heard that one. But while thinking about it I would much rather have anything with butter then a candy bar. Sugar, carbs and my body don't get along. And with the injuries I sustained after a fall several years ago I can't exercise nor get good cardio.

I am hoping this is the answer for me. I am currently down in weight and want to continue on this strong start.

If anyone has any suggestions or recipes, feel free to get in touch.

C-ya on the scale.
Connie
Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Post Losing to fast?

Should I be concerned that I am losing weight to fast?
This is my 6th day on Atkins and I am down almost 14lbs. I have gone over my charts and I have been taking in approx 35 grams of carbs a day. I upped my carbs on day 3 because of the loss in a couple of days.
Not sure if I need to add even more carbs.
Is the weight loss to extreme? Will it slow down in the next week?

Started 5/30/12
Starting weight 303
Todays weight 189.2
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

It will slow down. Make sure MOST of your carbs are coming from vegetables and watch that you are staying in your limits. You have a lot to lose and if this is your first time low carbing it is not uncommon to get a great result in Induction. You may see no loss or very little the following two weeks as your body adjusts. Thats OK. Just stick with it. This is not a sprint it is a marathon.

If you follow the book (my favorite is the 2002 version) and don't stray you should do fine. Move on to Ongoing Weight Loss after your two weeks in Induction. Take your time moving through the testing phases.

This is a lifestyle. I have been on Atkins for ten years (I detoured a few times). My bloodwork is perfect and I have lost 92 pounds so far. It is the BEST way for my body for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.