Notices

Atkins

Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM
FitDay Member

Default Just started today...Induction...advice?

I have used low calorie and exercise in the past and went from 204lbs to 152lbs. However, after laziness and loss of motivation, and some more laziness...I'm back at dieting again. I lowered my carbs yesterday, but didn't plan to start until today (went to eat with the family, was visiting).

I am 167lbs as of this morning. I am a female, 22yrs old, and 5'7".
I am going to do the induction for 14 days as I read.
I am also planning to do cardio everyday, and weight lifting several days a week. I have lowered my carb intake to 20g or less as I read in Atkins.

I have several questions I was hoping to have answered by those more experienced.

1) What kind of results can be expected in this diet? I read some on it, but there seems to be mixed results.
2) With cutting carbs, I ended up cutting aloooot of calories. I had less then 1,000 today. I know that is unhealthy, and want to include more. What is a no carb food I could add to my diet to increase my calories another 200 or so?
3) I only plan on doing the induction, as I don't think low carb is best for me. I know it is a healthy diet with many benefits, but I feel more comfortable counting calories. Especially since, though I am not vegetarian, I don't eat alot of meat.
But I also know that if I leave Induction and go back to my carb eating ways that I will probably ruin everything. So my plan is to increase by 5grams every few days, or perhaps every week after the first 14 days. But to be honest, I don't even know what is a normal intake of carbs. Can anyone tell me what a normal but healthy intake of carbs a day is? And will building up gradually ease me out of the state I put my body in, as to not make me gain back all the weight I lost?

Thanks for your time!!
-Meghan
Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davej323
A lean, calorie-restricted diet will work as well, but I would think that your weight might go up a bit as your glycogen stores are replenished. If that happens, don't be discouraged. A low calorie diet is the exact opposite of a ketogenic diet (such as Atkins), so instead of high fat and protein with low carbs I assume you will now concentrate on getting plenty of fiber-rich carbs and plenty of lean protein. Surprisingly, some ketogenic diets actually recommend cycling in and out of ketosis. This requires too much discipline for me because I know that instead of getting complex carbs from whole wheat and vegetable sources, I would go right back to the simple carb pleasures of nachos, burritos, beer, etc. To each his own. Best of luck, and please respond back in a couple weeks to let us know how the low calorie plan worked out.

I have a question after reading your post. You said cycling in and out is healthy, and a good way to lose weight? I started Induction today, with the goal of sticking with it for the 14 days (unless the results are amazing, such as losing the ten pounds I want to lose...then I'll do it three weeks). Then I was going to gradually build back up to a normal level of carbs.

But your post got me thinking. Would it work to do the Induction for a while, two to three weeks, then do a low calorie (sensible diet...whole wheats, fruit, veggies) diet for a few weeks, then switch back?
I am not a huge fan of eating all this meat, and I do admit I love carbs (I am in love with whole wheat bagels and peanut butter).
It is my thinking that this plan would help me, if it is an idea that would work, as it would keep me from getting bored with my food choices and losing my motivation and focus.

I appreciate anyones feedback.

Thank you,
Meghan
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
FitDay Member

Default New Atkins Dieter - Would Like Advice From Those With Experience

I pretty much posted this exact thin elsewhere, but in a thread not specific to my question, so I hope I don't annoy anyone with the repost.

I have used low calorie and exercise in the past and went from 204lbs to 152lbs. However, after laziness and loss of motivation, and some more laziness...I'm back at dieting again. I lowered my carbs yesterday, but didn't plan to start until today (went to eat with the family, was visiting).

I am going to do the induction for 14 days as I read.
I am also planning to do cardio everyday, and weight lifting several days a week. I have lowered my carb intake to 20g or less as I read in Atkins.

I have several questions I was hoping to have answered by those more experienced.

1) What kind of results can be expected in this diet? I read some on it, but there seems to be mixed results.
2) With cutting carbs, I ended up cutting aloooot of calories. I had less then 1,000 today. I know that is unhealthy, and want to include more. What is a no carb food I could add to my diet to increase my calories another 200 or so?
3) I only plan on doing the induction, as I don't think low carb is best for me. I know it is a healthy diet with many benefits, but I feel more comfortable counting calories. Especially since, though I am not vegetarian, I don't eat alot of meat.
But I also know that if I leave Induction and go back to my carb eating ways that I will probably ruin everything. So my plan is to increase by 5grams every few days, or perhaps every week after the first 14 days. But to be honest, I don't even know what is a normal intake of carbs. Can anyone tell me what a normal but healthy intake of carbs a day is? And will building up gradually ease me out of the state I put my body in, as to not make me gain back all the weight I lost?

Also:

I have a question after reading a post elsewhere on the board. It was mentioned that cycling in and out of Atkins is healthy, and a good way to lose weight. I started Induction today, with the goal of sticking with it for the 14 days (unless the results are amazing, such as losing the ten pounds I want to lose...then I'll do it three weeks). Then I was going to gradually build back up to a normal level of carbs.

But after reading that post, I got to thinking. Would it work to do the Induction for a while, two to three weeks, then do a low calorie (sensible diet...whole wheats, fruit, veggies, fish) diet for a few weeks, then switch back?
I am not a huge fan of eating all this meat, and I do admit I love carbs (I am in love with whole wheat bagels and peanut butter).
It is my thinking that this plan would help me, if it is an idea that would work, as it would keep me from getting bored with my food choices and losing my motivation and focus.

Thanks for your time!!
-Meghan
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
FitDay Member

Good luck. I just started yesterday too. I also Looove carbs but I love protien and fat more. Hopefully this will work out ok for me.
As you said, any feedback will be helpful.

Height 5'4" 50 yr old female
Highest weight 145
Lowest 115
current 133
Goal back to 115
But I'd be very happy with 120
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Good luck. I just started yesterday too. I also Looove carbs but I love protien and fat more. Hopefully this will work out ok for me.
As you said, any feedback will be helpful.

Height 5'4" 50 yr old female
Highest weight 145
Lowest 115
current 133
Goal back to 115
But I'd be very happy with 120
Good luck on your fresh start!! According to what I read at Atkins.com, it is possible to lose 15lbs in the first two weeks of Induction. So if Atkins really works, you should be at your goal in no time. I'm happy for you!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

My advice from someone that has been at low carbing (started on Atkins and now switched to Primal Blue Print after finding I have grain intolerances) since 2003.

Do not start Atkins and do induction to go back to counting calories.

Atkins is meant to be a lifestyle change that takes you through all 4 phases from start to finish no matter if you have 15 pounds to lose or 150 pounds to lose.

This is the primary reason that the media can spout their venom of saying that low carb doesn't work.............Because people do Induction, then go back to their calorie counting low fat way of life and yes you will gain back the weight you lost.

Sorry for being so blunt, but the mis-information that the media and a lot of people spread about the low carb way of life is really a thorn in my side because people think they can treat it like a "diet' and start and stop it when they want.

The low carb lifestyle is just that. A lifestyle that is meant to change your mindset and you are not there yet.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

I don't mind blunt, blunt is good. I went out, got the book, and have doing induction for several days. My low calorie ways worked, sorta, but I was always hungry...
After reading the book I now know sooo much more. My family has a history of heart disease and diabetes. The men get heart problems, the woman diabetes. And this seems like the best kind of choice for me, all the benefits of changing to this lifestyle is astounding. And the best part? I haven't craved anything at all yet. I'll think about it, yes, go 'That is tasty...' but then easily banish the thought.
It also really isn't that hard, and induction is the most strictest part! The only problem I have had, and I'm working to correct it, is actuallly eating enough carbs and calories.

I think now that I am educated on this lifestyle change, how it works, why it works, what it does to you, how it benefits you...I want to do it. When I made that post mere days ago, I still didn't know anything about it. But now that I do, it is the best option for me I believe.

Plus, losing 8 pounds in four days? Sweet! Lol.

Thank you so much for your reponse!

Originally Posted by Primal-Lioness
My advice from someone that has been at low carbing (started on Atkins and now switched to Primal Blue Print after finding I have grain intolerances) since 2003.

Do not start Atkins and do induction to go back to counting calories.

Atkins is meant to be a lifestyle change that takes you through all 4 phases from start to finish no matter if you have 15 pounds to lose or 150 pounds to lose.

This is the primary reason that the media can spout their venom of saying that low carb doesn't work.............Because people do Induction, then go back to their calorie counting low fat way of life and yes you will gain back the weight you lost.

Sorry for being so blunt, but the mis-information that the media and a lot of people spread about the low carb way of life is really a thorn in my side because people think they can treat it like a "diet' and start and stop it when they want.

The low carb lifestyle is just that. A lifestyle that is meant to change your mindset and you are not there yet.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mlgibson494
I don't mind blunt, blunt is good. I went out, got the book, and have doing induction for several days. My low calorie ways worked, sorta, but I was always hungry...
After reading the book I now know sooo much more. My family has a history of heart disease and diabetes. The men get heart problems, the woman diabetes. And this seems like the best kind of choice for me, all the benefits of changing to this lifestyle is astounding. And the best part? I haven't craved anything at all yet. I'll think about it, yes, go 'That is tasty...' but then easily banish the thought.
It also really isn't that hard, and induction is the most strictest part! The only problem I have had, and I'm working to correct it, is actuallly eating enough carbs and calories.

I think now that I am educated on this lifestyle change, how it works, why it works, what it does to you, how it benefits you...I want to do it. When I made that post mere days ago, I still didn't know anything about it. But now that I do, it is the best option for me I believe.

Plus, losing 8 pounds in four days? Sweet! Lol.

Thank you so much for your reponse!
Your quite welcome!!! Hopefully we can support each other on this journey!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Primal-Lioness
Your quite welcome!!! Hopefully we can support each other on this journey!!!

In your previous post, you said you had to leave Atkins because of grain intolerences? Can you explain what that is?

I would love to support each other on this, especially since I tried talking to a couple of my friends about it and they are telling me it is unhealthy, even when I try to explain how it works and what it does for someone.

And I love Atkins more and more each day when I step on that scale. Down 10 pounds! And I haven't even been on it a week! I am only 2.5 pounds from a healthy BMI (according to FitDay, Atkins however, I am considered under 25 BMI at 153).
Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

[B[/B]I have used low calorie and exercise in the past and went from 204lbs to 152lbs. goodHowever, after laziness and loss of motivation, and some more laziness...I'm back at dieting again. forgive yourselfI lowered my carbs yesterday, but didn't plan to start until today (went to eat with the family, was visiting). if you are on a diet you are on a diet

I am going to do the induction for 14 days as I read.ok you might go to 25 net carbs the second day; be sure you are counting net carbs, not carbs; it is easier and just as effective
I am also planning to do cardio everyday, every other day would be ok; occassionaly you might take a several day breakand weight lifting several days a week. I have lowered my carb intake to 20g or less as I read in Atkins.

1) What kind of results can be expected in this diet? I read some on it, but there seems to be mixed results.good if you are consistent; 5 pounds a week, mostly water, for the first several weeks. All diets have plateaus; your body is adjusting. Wait them out.
2) With cutting carbs, I ended up cutting aloooot of calories. wonder of wonders, watch your nutrition. I use www.fitday.com to log foods. I noticed that low carb foods are low in potassium; I get an Rx and have my blood level monitored. I also take OTC supplements for D and B1 and occasionally caldium and thiamin.I had less then 1,000 today. I know that is unhealthy, [B]not for a short term; 1000 less than your maintenance intake will result in a 2 pound loss per week./B]and want to include more. What is a no carb food I could add to my diet to increase my calories another 200 or so?deep fired pork rinds with butter, walnuts, soy protein. I get mine at Trader Joes.
3) I only plan on doing the induction, as I don't think low carb is best for me. make it a lifetime thing; it is bestI know it is a healthy diet with many benefits, but I feel more comfortable counting calories. but you will if you count net carbsEspecially since, though I am not vegetarian, I don't eat alot of meat. eat fish, lamb, pork, turkey (has postassium), chicken
But I also know that if I leave Induction and go back to my carb eating ways that I will probably ruin everything. exactly; make the committmentSo my plan is to increase by 5grams every few days,every week or perhaps every week after the first 14 days. But to be honest, I don't even know what is a normal intake of carbs. Can anyone tell me what a normal but healthy intake of carbs a day is? in life time maintenance about 100 or less if you regain weightAnd will building up gradually ease me out of the state I put my body in, yes but cut back again if you dont lose or start to gainas to not make me gain back all the weight I lost?

Also:

I have a question after reading a post elsewhere on the board. It was mentioned that cycling in and out of Atkins is healthy, nope you lose your ketonosis; get Bayer keto stix and use them; go for a moderate to small level of ketonesand a good way to lose weight. I started Induction today, with the goal of sticking with it for the 14 days (unless the results are amazing, such as losing the ten pounds I want to lose...then I'll do it three weeks). Then I was going to gradually build back up to a normal level of carbs.

But after reading that post, I got to thinking. Would it work to do the Induction for a while, two to three weeks, then do a low calorie (sensible diet...whole wheats,no fruit, npveggies, green leafyfishall you want) diet for a few weeks, then switch backnope?
I am not a huge fan of eating all this meat, eat mostly fatnoand I do admit I love carbs (I am in love with whole wheat a half on weekends during life time maintenance onlybagels and peanut butter).
It is my thinking that this plan would help me, if it is an idea that would work, as it would keep me from getting bored with my food choices and losing my motivation and focus.you can have quite a variety; if you want I will give you a url for my food logs

you can also join Atkins? - Official Site - is a powerful life-time approach to successful weight loss and weight management. free and get 3 2 net carb chocolate bars
Thanks for your time!!
-Meghan[/QUOTE]
Good luck, keep in touch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.