Community
Notices

Atkins

Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

am I supposed to be a certain percentage under the number of calories that are listed on the bar graph on the food log page? It states that I have 2300 cal. I've gone from eating less than 1,000 to the 2300 listed. I was under the impression that on Atkins I didn't need to count calories, just carbs and make sure the percentages were correct....
70% fat, 30% protein and less than 5% for carbs.
Thank you. I'm very frustrated. I've tried so many times to drop weight (didn't cheat) and have been unsuccessful....
Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

I can relate. Just finished my first week of Induction and I am up 1/2 a pound from my start weight. Was up 1 1/2 pounds one day last week but was able to lose a pound. Keeping carbs below 20, ( not net) and calories between 1000- 1500. I am still trying to find my sweet spot and balance calories with carbs to find out at what point I will lose. A learning curve but I am not giving up!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

It's difficult to mix diets. For example, using fitday calorie guidelines is great - and works - when your profile information is correct and you have a plan to log your food and watch your daily calories.

Using Atkins, you are encouraged to not count calories, but severely limit carbs in the induction phase. You're still counting, by the way, just counting carbs. But if you go to the Atkins website, you will find this:

'The Atkins Nutritional Approach counts grams of carbohydrates instead of calories. In Induction, you are allowed 20 grams of Net Carbs. When you progress to Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL), you gradually add carbohydrates in 5-gram increments as you move toward Pre-Maintenance, and finally, in 10-gram increments as you approach the Lifetime Maintenance phase. On the Atkins Nutritional Approach we don’t make you count calories. However for weight loss purposes we suggest you shoot for a healthy range. For women that range is approximately 1500 to 1800 calories. For men that range is approximately 1800 to 2000 calories per day. Be sure to limit empty calories and follow the acceptable foods list for whichever phase you are currently in.'

This is in the diet FAQ.

Looking at fitday, if you plan to lose weight by watching your limits and incorporating a lot of foods (or not restricting foods to certain groups), then that is going to match the the statement that 1500-1800 calories is the range for women to lose weight. However, fitday will have to take into account your BMI and level of activity, your goals and time frame, etc.

If you plan to stay on the Atkins diet, the website lays out the program. You can go to the FAQs for answers to most questions.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

My wife do Atkins and lose a lot of weight and now look good and she in diet use hcg drops and result is amaznig

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-31-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default atkins

Need help, don't know what I need to get out, for carbs. What's a safe carb number per day
Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Original Atkins

I just started on the original 1972 Atkins diet last week. Used it to take off baby weight in the 80s - haven't needed to diet since then. This last year was brutal though - very stressful; spent it essentially on the couch - and now I need to lose 70 pounds. AGH!!!!!!! Sure was easy putting it on. My "comfort foods" aren't sweets. Ice cream can sit in my freezer for months. Halloween candy gets stale. But pasta, bread, potatoes: they're all sitting right on my thighs now. Cleared the house out: even threw out the Bisquick so I won't be tempted to make biscuits in a weak moment. For me, the ultra low-carb works: I'm not hungry or tired and the weight does come off fast as long as you don't cheat.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 PM
FitDay Member

But on that 4th day, how many extra carbs do you allow?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:57 AM
FitDay Member

Have you tried spaghetti squash for a pasta substitute? I love it. Another one is cauliflower rice and cauliflower mashed "potatoes" I mash it with butter, some heavy cream and top with cheddar. Hits the spot when you have those cravings. Pork rinds are great for dips and baked or nuked cheddar make great crackers.

Originally Posted by Alisn1dlan
I just started on the original 1972 Atkins diet last week. Used it to take off baby weight in the 80s - haven't needed to diet since then. This last year was brutal though - very stressful; spent it essentially on the couch - and now I need to lose 70 pounds. AGH!!!!!!! Sure was easy putting it on. My "comfort foods" aren't sweets. Ice cream can sit in my freezer for months. Halloween candy gets stale. But pasta, bread, potatoes: they're all sitting right on my thighs now. Cleared the house out: even threw out the Bisquick so I won't be tempted to make biscuits in a weak moment. For me, the ultra low-carb works: I'm not hungry or tired and the weight does come off fast as long as you don't cheat.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by DebP2358
But on that 4th day, how many extra carbs do you allow?
The maximum amount in induction is 20 net carbs. Subtract the fiber for all carbs in order to get your net carbs. You do not have to spend all the 20 carbs if you don't want to. Some people go very low but I like my veggies.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by bunkahes
Need help, don't know what I need to get out, for carbs. What's a safe carb number per day
If you are in induction you have 20 carbs to spend for 2 weeks or until you move to the next rung. After that you add in 5 carbs per each rung. This is designed so you see what you can eat and what foods you are resistant to. For example people cannot lose weight on nuts, peanut butter, cheese, whipping cream and so forth. And most cannot lose weight or get stalled with any frankenfood from the Atkins company: shake, bars, frozen meals. Stay away from them.

And please don't be afraid to move up the rungs. You will be laying down the foundation for permanent weight control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.