Community
Notices

Atkins

Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks I didn't want to get into a panic and call my pcp.

I am following The New Atkins for the New You. I also have the cookbook so I have plenty of choices as I do see this as a lifetime change as well.

I guess my next question is do I stay on the avg. 35 carbs..I am thinking if I go back to the 20 carb days as I did the 1st couple of days the loss may be to overwhelming and set me up for disappointments in the months to come.

I have set my goal to be 200lbs by 1/1/13

I think that is realistic and obtainable.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Connie...
Thanks I didn't want to get into a panic and call my pcp.

I am following The New Atkins for the New You. I also have the cookbook so I have plenty of choices as I do see this as a lifetime change as well.

I guess my next question is do I stay on the avg. 35 carbs..I am thinking if I go back to the 20 carb days as I did the 1st couple of days the loss may be to overwhelming and set me up for disappointments in the months to come.

I have set my goal to be 200lbs by 1/1/13

I think that is realistic and obtainable.
Just testing, Connie (sorry I don't know much about Atkins)
Regards,
Michael
Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Hello Everyone!

I'm new on this forum and I am on the second week of Induction (Atkins). My current weight is 72 kilos and I am struggling to go back to my old weight (64). During my first week of Induction I only lost 500 grams...quite disappointing despite following the diet as perfect as possible.
But I hope that by inputting my daily carbs intake, I will succeed this time.

Anyone has tried Psyllium Husks? I'm having serious constipation problems.

thank you! and Hope to hear from you!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Hi

The Atkins diet is very precise from what I have learned. I did have 5 chips and salsa in week 1 and I put on almost 3 lbs. So I stunted my progress. It took days to drop that weight again. I did lose 14lbs the 1st week but those chips killed me so starting again.

Drinking a lot of water is the key. I still need to incorporate the broth 1 in the am and 1 in the pm.

I can't use the substitutes since they give me headaches. I am currently having coffee in the am with cream no sugar but yuk.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default 10 lbs. Lost in First 2 Weeks!

Hey everyone,
I just ended my first 2 weeks on an Atkins style diet. Only about 5 out of the 14 days would be technically considered "induction" meaning 20 carbs or less. The rest of the 14 days I was in the 30-80 carb range. I think I've got my bearings now and have developed a somewhat consistent menu to keep me on track. I'm staying motivated by reading and re-reading Gary Taubes book Why We Get Fat. I managed to stay away from the scale for the entire 2 weeks and was glad I did. I can't wait to see what happens in 2 months. The diet is fairly easy and tackles my one biggest pitfall on other diets...HUNGER! I do miss the carbs some times but I never feel hungry and if I need something sweet I have a slice of atkins cheesecake. Anyone else tried this? Its awesome, if you like cheesecake!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

Question Atkins Bars Net Carb Count Calculation

Hi Everyone,

Reviving this thread with a question about how Atkins calculates the net carbs in their bars. I ate two bars this week - one in lieu of a meal, and one for stress eating at work.

The Atkins daybreak Chocolate Hazelnut bar claims to have 3g net carbs, but the nutritional info says 18g carbs, 1g fibre, 1g sugar, and 7g sugar alcohols. The Atkins Endulge coconut bar also claims to have 3g net carbs, and nutritional info says 19g carbs, 2g fibre, 1g sugar, and 4g sugar alcohols.

I can't see how that could be translated into 3g net carbs (not that I'm doubting them, I just don't get how they calculated it)!

Anyone out there who can explain it to me?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM
FitDay Member

I've come to my personal conclusion that net carbs are just a marketing trick. "Atkins" bars are still a processed product that they're trying to get you to buy. Based on the numbers you gave, the net carb should be 10g for hazelnut and 13g for indulge.

For nutrition labels, I've realized that starches are the only unaccounted factor, but they still easily break down into free sugar. Free sugar is listed under "sugar," so net carb = starch = basically sugar = total carb - sugar alcohols (undigested) - fiber (not metabolized as carb, but as fat). Nutrition labels don't require starches to be listed separately, but net carb is supposed to essentially measure starch content. Maybe it's just bad math on the part of the marketers.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins Bars

I too am very skeptical about these Atkins bars. You have to remember that the whole idea of the low carb diet is to reduce insulin levels in the body. Experts have known for quite some time about the effects of macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, fats) on insulin levels, but have less knowledge of what other types of additives and chemicals have on insulin levels. For example, in the old adkins books they recommended not drinking coffee because it could raise your insulin levels. Today you'll find few low carb enthusiasts who believe this. The Atkins bars are basically processed food that includes many differant ingredients. Who knows what kind of effect these additives have on your insulin levels? If I were you I would stick to whole foods like meat, eggs, salad greens and healthy oils.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by getfit1980
I too am very skeptical about these Atkins bars. You have to remember that the whole idea of the low carb diet is to reduce insulin levels in the body. Experts have known for quite some time about the effects of macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, fats) on insulin levels, but have less knowledge of what other types of additives and chemicals have on insulin levels. For example, in the old adkins books they recommended not drinking coffee because it could raise your insulin levels. Today you'll find few low carb enthusiasts who believe this. The Atkins bars are basically processed food that includes many differant ingredients. Who knows what kind of effect these additives have on your insulin levels? If I were you I would stick to whole foods like meat, eggs, salad greens and healthy oils.
I am also quite skeptical about the 'net carb' claims but I have to say that they did not raise my blood sugar levels at all, so that claim, at least for me, is true.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Banned

I too am skeptical about those bars. The pattern for me was when I'd treat myself to one of those bars, my weight loss would stall. Without, things went find, with... not so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.