Notices

Atkins

Old 03-28-2012, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin
I'm so glad it worked!

I used half-and-half because it was what I had on hand. (Costco sells it cheap.) I can't wait to try it again with full cream -- richer, and fewer carbs!

I've been trying -- unsuccessfully -- to make custard for over 20 years, now, but THIS was easy. It was exactly what my poor sick tummy needed that day, AND made a wonderful treat the next two days. (It's all gone now... Guess I'll have to make more!) Thanks for doing a carb-count for me. For obvious reasons, I was not really "in shape" to do it the day I posted. But please -- take it and share.
I posted it on my facebook low-carb group page...they were excited. Thanks! I still haven't figured out how to post a picture. I did what I'm supposed to do, but it "failed to post."
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

I've been on Atkins for a month now and lost 12 lbs no cravings, although I have been offered numerous cakes at work not a hint of temptation thankefully. Eating really good food varied, chicken, steak, fish, eggs, cheeses with veg and salad. Haven't missed bread for the time being. Although I will be having one or two glasses of white wine at the weekend. Here comes month 2 wish me luck
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by longwillow
I've been on Atkins for a month now and lost 12 lbs no cravings, although I have been offered numerous cakes at work not a hint of temptation thankefully. Eating really good food varied, chicken, steak, fish, eggs, cheeses with veg and salad. Haven't missed bread for the time being. Although I will be having one or two glasses of white wine at the weekend. Here comes month 2 wish me luck
Good luck, Longwillow!

12 lbs in a month is GREAT WORK!

And yeah, it's amazing how the "forbidden foods" just lose their temptation after a while. At this point, I've started baking bread for the family, as part of our effort to cut out processed foods/hidden nasty ingredients, and even though I'm filling the house with the smell of fresh baked bread... it's not tempting. (The first time I baked, I DID eat some -- rather had to, to make sure it was "acceptable" in taste & texture... but I didn't go crazy with it, either. So... 5 baking days so far, and 2 days of tasting bread.) I can make it, and not even want it.

Welcome aboard, and keep up the good work!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin
Good luck, Longwillow!

12 lbs in a month is GREAT WORK!

And yeah, it's amazing how the "forbidden foods" just lose their temptation after a while. At this point, I've started baking bread for the family, as part of our effort to cut out processed foods/hidden nasty ingredients, and even though I'm filling the house with the smell of fresh baked bread... it's not tempting. (The first time I baked, I DID eat some -- rather had to, to make sure it was "acceptable" in taste & texture... but I didn't go crazy with it, either. So... 5 baking days so far, and 2 days of tasting bread.) I can make it, and not even want it.

Welcome aboard, and keep up the good work!
I have tried to teach my daughter to make bread--in the bread-maker. She would rather do without bread than make her own...so I let her do without. LOL Once in a while, I'll make bread...maybe 3 or 4 times a year. We like home-made bread, but are not so fond of commercially baked bread (except for dark pumpernikel rye). I made a 'savory' MiM last night for a grilled cheese sandwich. Delicious!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by longwillow
Don't you feel great?!?!?

If you feel like you need bread, make a MiM. Google it, if you don't already have the recipe. Have you discovered Linda's low carb recipe site? genaw.com On the desserts page, she has a recipe for Orange Cake that is delicious! The orange cake is for extended induction or OWL, but she has lots of induction-friendly recipes, too.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default But we digress...

Originally Posted by volleyballgranny
I have tried to teach my daughter to make bread--in the bread-maker.
Well, I can't get decent bread out of a breadmaker to save my life... But my hand-made bread comes out pretty darn good, even when I try to screw it up. And not NEARLY as much work as I feared! 10 minutes of mixing stuff, 1 hour of waiting... 10 minutes of making loaves, 30 min of waiting, then 25 min of baking. (My recipe needs hardly any kneading, because you're adding the flour to the liquid, instead of the other way around.)

However, all that's getting pretty OT for an Atkins thread!

~getting back on track~ Tonight's dinner: Seafood stuffed mushrooms swimming in butter, a green salad with bleu cheese dressing, and a skewer of grilled shrimp. YUM! (Still having "happy belly" syndrome from that one... I think it was EXACTLY what I was hungry for.)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default Saturday night's dinner...Golden Corral

I love going to Golden Corral because they make the BEST steaks ever--even better than the Outback or Steak & Ale. I can also eat as many veggies as I want (without paying extra).

This time, I had two servings of steak, one serving of broiled mushrooms, squash, zuchini, and romaine lettuce topped with Parmesan cheese & blue cheese dressing. It was delicious!

The place smelled of dessert, but I wasn't even tempted at all. I enjoyed the aroma of cinnamon rolls and cakes, but stuck with the steak and mushrooms.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Literate Giraffe--are you on facebook?

I'd like to invite you to join our Atkins support group page, but if I post the name of the page here, I think fitday removes it. You can email me, though...at yahoo. Just put fitday in the subject line.

I do my facebook page at home, but don't have access to it at work. Fitday takes up the slack--I can keep my food journal AND talk to people while I'm at work.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default I forgot to say...about the Egg Custard recipe posted by LiterateGriffin

LiterateGriffin posted this recipe one day last week. I tweaked it to make it lower carb. I've made it twice now, and the one below is how I made the BEST custard ever.

Last night, I made it using 2 cups of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of water--and I used the Magic Bullet blender instead of whisking. Oh, my! The custard came out so smooth and delicious! My daughter laughed at me because I was enjoying it so much. Honestly, custardy goodness for 2 nC? Heaven!

Low Carb Egg Custard
Yield: 6 custard cups @ 2nC each

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup water
3 eggs
equivalent of 1/2 cup sweetener
1 tsp vanilla

Blend cream, add water and blend again. Add eggs and blend again. Add sweetener (I used truvia) and blend again. Add vanilla and blend again. Pour into 6 individual glass baking bowls (8 oz size), well greased, that have been placed in a larger rectangular baking dish. Add water to the rectangular baking dish to reach at least halfway up the sides of the individual dishes.

Bake at 425 for 20-25 min, until knife inserted in the center of each dish comes out clean. (There are times that I remove 1 or 2 dishes and keep baking the rest...so, check each dish.)

Thank you, again, LiterateGriffin! I LOVE this recipe! I will be making it once a week--great protein filled 'dessert.'
Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins and bread...

My kids requested Rueben sandwiches a few weeks ago...this meant that I had to go buy bread because we don't keep it in the house (it molds too fast). I wanted a Rueben, too, so I decided to make a rye MiM. Now, if you are still on Induction, this is not Atkins-legal, so don't make this if you are not on the last rung (grains).

Use your Atkins MiM recipe (Google it for variations):

BASIC MiM (Induction-friendly, limit to once a day)1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, enjoy.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added.

Some people count the flax as a carb/fiber wash, so then the net carbs would be 2.78.

I do NOT like the basic MiM recipe. I make a savory MiM--replace the sweetener and cinnamon with garlic and/or onion powder. I usually use olive oil instead of butter (because I don't have to soften it).

RYE MiM variation (NOT Induction-friendly)
2 TBS flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
2 TBS rye flour (high in carbs, don't have the carb count handy)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs) (optional)
1 tsp carraway seeds
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 TBS olive oil

Follow directions above...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.