Reduce stress with regular exercise,
Reduce or limit refined carbohydrates and sugar intake,
Avoid caffeine and other stimulants,
Limit dairy products and red meat....
WTF? spam is good for acne.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default almond flour lasagna

Hi all im new here...done atkins before and had great luck!!!
I found a recipee for this lasagna that used crepes made out of almond flour...internet kicked me off before i could save it...does anyone know of this recipee???
Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Tara, is this the recipe you wanted: Low-Carb Almond Meal Pancakes - Pancake Recipe with Almond Meal or Almond Flour ?

As a way to counter the blood-sugar-bounce thing, my family has been replacing most-to-all of the flour in our regular pancake recipe with almond meal for years. If you do it ALL almond-meal, it will -- of course -- come out thinner. (No gluten, to stretch & let it rise). But they're so GOOD that way that no one minds. (And since you're making crepes, you want thin, anyway. )

And hello, folks!

I did Atkins back in 2003, to clear up some blood-sugar issues I was having. A (Type I, since childhood) diabetic friend of mine had put me onto Atkins, convinced it would fix the problems I was having. It no only did... it cleared up my IBS, AND the pounds started dropping off like magic.

Right until I got pregnant.

I'd been doing a very strict version of Atkins with "planned cheating". (If I really wanted to cheat, and have, say Wheat Thins, I'd go get the box and calculate how many I could have for under 20 carbs... And pretty much make THAT splurge my entire carb-load for that day.) This may not be what Dr. Atkins recommended, precisely, but it worked well for me.

I knew I couldn't keep dieting at the same level while pregnant. Going back on carbs was actually very VERY hard for me... I was so accustomed to skipping the starch part of a meal -- leaving the rice, eating a sandwich but leaving the bread (I could eat a sandwich out of its bread without swallowing an excess carb OR getting my fingers dirty!)

Well, the first pregnancy didn't go too bad... By the time I was ready to go back on Atkins, I was back to the weight I'd been at when I got pregnant the first time! But by then I had a baby (who loved to stuff food in my mouth -- seriously!) and a husband who -- back then -- was very resistant. And I got pregnant AGAIN.

Miscarriage.... ANOTHER pregnancy, and the last one was a doozy.... My baby was small, but I gained weight hard and fast, that time around. And it's never gone away.

I tried to go on Atkins one more time, but hit a bout of major depression, and realized that stressing about what I could eat was just... one thing I didn't need. It was helping push me over the edge, into truly scary levels of depression. So... I set it all aside.

Then this January, I got up, looked at myself, and was repulsed. I stepped on the scale... and I was horrified. A friend & I had already committed to going to the gym together starting in a few days; now I also committed to going back on Atkins.

I did it from memory, not re-reading the book. Induction: 20 gm of carbs or less, you want to pee purple, leafy greens, no starchy foods, and you want to pee purple (on the strips). Got it. Started popping my nutriional supplements, and then we were off.

Weight began coming off, though not as fast as my first time on Atkins. SOME of that may well have been the strength-training we were doing: Lose some fat, add some muscle, and it may take a while to show under all this flab, but in the end, it's a positive exchange. Still -- if we had GAINS (and we both did) it was generally after a day of hard weight-training, and generally we gained AT THE SAME TIME, so that tended to support the muscle-mass theory.

Then... things went wrong. She had child-care issues and couldn't meet me at the gym anymore. My husband (by now a changed man from the one 7 years ago who insisted on French Fries with every meal, and quite supportive) made a beef-and-veggie stew that kicked me out of ketosis (we're still not sure why -- maybe too liberal with the mushrooms), I got horribly sick with a cold and wanted to EAT the stew, AND we traveled out of town.

I declared I wasn't going to worry too much about my diet till I was better.

Then, to make things better, my computer died, so I couldn't log into Fitday and track my weight/measurements daily.

Two weeks went by... I didn't go to the gym, and I wasn't monitoring.... much of anything. I WAS eating salad rather than rice, skipping the noodles in home-made dishes, etc.

Then my friend made a gym-date with me again, just as I was about to go back on my own, AND I got access to a computer.... I weighed in for the first time in 2 weeks.

I'd previously set a goal-weight on FitDay, that was requiring me to lose 2.41lbs/week. Just as I'd gone off Fitday, my weight was noticably above that goal. (Remember -- I'd stopped exercising, and had eaten wrong... AND was sick.) Well, when I plugged in my new weight?

My line paralleled the "Weight goal" line. Sitting back and doing nothing much but loosely following Atkins, I'd lost about 2.7 lbs/week.

Since then, my weight has stalled again. On Monday, I baked bread (from scratch, by hand) for the first time... It was successful, and I'll be baking bread for the household from now on. (Whole grain, and *I* control what goes in), but... I ate some. (Under the circumstances, I almost had to). More than I should have. And... I had a couple (home-baked) cookies. And I'm about to travel to a convention where likely there will be much starchy food served.

On the other hand, I just finished re-reading the New Diet Revolution. And I'm glad I RE-read it. There's so much in there that I didn't catch/appreciate the first time around.

I may have had the original book (on loan from my friend), the first time I read it, because the one I just re-read didn't rant about trans-fats the way I remember. (It was there, but he assumed you knew this stuff already.) It DID go more deeply than I remembered into the link between processed carbs (especially sugar) and health problems.

And I also got a refresher-course in how to boot your body into fat-loss, when your metabolism seems to have become (like mine) more resistant to losing weight.

Anyway -- I'm feeling very gung-ho right now. I've got a really exciting weekend ahead of me (likely with lots of exercise), and eating may be a challenge even WITHOUT sticking to allowed foods. But I know very well that when I come home on Monday, I can get myself right back on a strict Induction diet until I'm in the purple again, and work forward from there.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tara05156
Hi all im new here...done atkins before and had great luck!!!
I found a recipee for this lasagna that used crepes made out of almond flour...internet kicked me off before i could save it...does anyone know of this recipee???
Oh, dear lord.... I'm sorry...
Low Carb Almond Flour Crepes for LASAGNA - YouTube is going to be closer to what you want: Crepes TO USE FOR LASAGNA.

And here I was babbling on about pancakes!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by laughing_man_lee
Yes I eat enough protein and healthy fat. Thank you for very good tips. I will follow them up.
I suppose a lot of my grazing is an unhealthy response to anxiety. I am working on it. I have some real problems to work through.
My guess is, you're focusing on cutting calories, as much as carbs, and are likely not getting enough fat.

When you're hungry, especially, after dinner, try a handful of Macadamia nuts.

DON'T just sit and eat them. DON'T keep an open bowl. Have a big container, and go get about an ounce of them. (ie: a tablespoon or so). Put that in a small bowl or coffee cup, sit down, and eat them, chewing thoroughly. (Don't swallow till there's nothing solid in your mouth. Chew each one all the way before eating the next.)

When you're done, you likely won't be hungry anymore.

(I know, I know -- nuts aren't technically on Induction. But since he uses Macadamia for the "fat fast", I've always figured they were OK to use for this stage and have, successfully.)

Getting enough healthy fats is key on Atkins -- it's the thing that cuts down appetite! Put some cheese and hard-boiled egg on your salad! Switch to decaf (caffeine can trigger insulin-response, and thus make you hungry), and put real cream in it!

If you haven't actually read the Atkins book, do so. It's a good read, not just a diet book. And you really need to, even if you've "done" Atkins in the past.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

LiterateGriffin...I have had a similar journey to yours--though with hypoglycemia, not Diabetes I. Now I have Diabetes II, but staved it off for 30+ years (instead of the 7-10 years the doctors gave me).

I keep a shot glass in the nut jar. One shot glass is almost 1/4 cup of nuts--the 'advertised' serving size. My mom gave me that tip. It's great...even the kids measure out a serving instead of grabbing a handful.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sick stomach + Atkins = No Saltines

Blew chunks last night. Today, my stomach is still unsteady... Part of me really wanted crackers/toast to help "settle" it.

Instead, for breakfast, I had one plain scrambled egg, and went looking for some seltzer-water. ("Flat" water did NOT sound good -- I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to drink enough to take all my pills.)

It's now 3pm. I'm getting hungry, but still wanting "comfort food"... So instead of sweetened rice, or crackers, I'm making some egg custard.

2.5 cups half-&-Half
3 eggs
24 "scoops" of Stevia (equivalent 1/2 cup sugar)
1 TBS vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Whiz in blender till mixed.
Put in well-greased pie-plate, bake at 425 for 20-25 min, until knife inserted 1" from edge comes out clean.

This is all modified (by me) from a Good Housekeeping Custard Pie recipe. I tasted the raw mix (I know, I know -- Never eat raw egg), and it tasted like exactly what I wanted. Still have a few minutes before it comes out of the oven.

I have a bottle of pure Stevia, that comes with a little scoop that's 1Tsp equivalent. There's 3 tsp in 1 Tbs, and 4 Tbs in 1/4 cup. Use whatever sugar substitutes you like.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin
Blew chunks last night. Today, my stomach is still unsteady... Part of me really wanted crackers/toast to help "settle" it.

Instead, for breakfast, I had one plain scrambled egg, and went looking for some seltzer-water. ("Flat" water did NOT sound good -- I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to drink enough to take all my pills.)

It's now 3pm. I'm getting hungry, but still wanting "comfort food"... So instead of sweetened rice, or crackers, I'm making some egg custard.

2.5 cups half-&-Half
3 eggs
24 "scoops" of Stevia (equivalent 1/2 cup sugar)
1 TBS vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Whiz in blender till mixed.
Put in well-greased pie-plate, bake at 425 for 20-25 min, until knife inserted 1" from edge comes out clean.

This is all modified (by me) from a Good Housekeeping Custard Pie recipe. I tasted the raw mix (I know, I know -- Never eat raw egg), and it tasted like exactly what I wanted. Still have a few minutes before it comes out of the oven.

I have a bottle of pure Stevia, that comes with a little scoop that's 1Tsp equivalent. There's 3 tsp in 1 Tbs, and 4 Tbs in 1/4 cup. Use whatever sugar substitutes you like.
Do you have ANY idea how much I've been wanting custard? A friend from Mexico cooked dinner for a bunch of us a few weeks ago--and made flan. I WANT it! I will make this tonight--except with cream instead of half and half. I've even got SF Torani caramel syrup...I'm in LOVE! LOL
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by volleyballgranny
Do you have ANY idea how much I've been wanting custard? A friend from Mexico cooked dinner for a bunch of us a few weeks ago--and made flan. I WANT it! I will make this tonight--except with cream instead of half and half. I've even got SF Torani caramel syrup...I'm in LOVE! LOL
I made it! Now, if I can just figure out how to post a picture...

PS: I used heavy cream instead of half n half--fewer carbs. Mine worked out to 6 servings at 2 nC each.

I tried, but could not post the picture. I'm disappointed.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM
FitDay Member

I'm so glad it worked!

I used half-and-half because it was what I had on hand. (Costco sells it cheap.) I can't wait to try it again with full cream -- richer, and fewer carbs!

I've been trying -- unsuccessfully -- to make custard for over 20 years, now, but THIS was easy. It was exactly what my poor sick tummy needed that day, AND made a wonderful treat the next two days. (It's all gone now... Guess I'll have to make more!) Thanks for doing a carb-count for me. For obvious reasons, I was not really "in shape" to do it the day I posted. But please -- take it and share.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.