Notices

Atkins

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mlgibson494
I have a question after reading your post. You said cycling in and out is healthy, and a good way to lose weight? I started Induction today, with the goal of sticking with it for the 14 days (unless the results are amazing, such as losing the ten pounds I want to lose...then I'll do it three weeks). Then I was going to gradually build back up to a normal level of carbs.

But your post got me thinking. Would it work to do the Induction for a while, two to three weeks, then do a low calorie (sensible diet...whole wheats, fruit, veggies) diet for a few weeks, then switch back?
I am not a huge fan of eating all this meat, and I do admit I love carbs (I am in love with whole wheat bagels and peanut butter).
It is my thinking that this plan would help me, if it is an idea that would work, as it would keep me from getting bored with my food choices and losing my motivation and focus.

I appreciate anyones feedback.

Thank you,
Meghan
Hi Meghan,

I suggest that you read "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. I have been working my way through that book just to become more informed about the process our bodies go through during a ketogenic diet (the Atkins book is a good guideline to get started on a diet, but it is missing some of the background science information). As I understand it, Mr. McDonald recommends "carb-up" days occasionally. I haven't read far enough to get the details yet, but my friend is following that plan, and when he does a carb-up he concentrates on eating lean protein and whole wheat carbs.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
latest weight 7/15/10 = 250
mini goal (wedding) 9/4/10 = 235
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
This will be my lightest weight since high school!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Michelle,
I have type 2 diabetes and low carbing is perfect for me to keep my blood sugar down.I'm new here and I'm learning to use all the tools on this website.I'm from Belgium.
Annie
Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=miche11ec3;8820]Hi,

Anyone following the New Atkins New you diet? I have been following a low carb diet for nearly 2 years and am down from a high of 212lbs. Have been yoyoing with 20lbs for the last 6 months or so. Before that I had years of low fat low calorie dieting and I failed to maintain my weight loss every time. 50 years of being fat is way too long.

I know this diet curbs my cravings when I get it right.

I have metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance. Hope to avoid becoming diabetic by cutting back on my sugar and starch intake.

Fitday is such a useful tool to see where my carbs and calories are coming from.
I dont eat refined sugar and flour, period. I am down 30 pounds and have 10 to go. Have been pretty much on a plateau for a month and got carbs up above 100 but still calories were below maintenance. I did not lose counting calories. Carbs are back down and I am exercising; gonna break that 190 milestone in a week and go to OUtback and eat the steak, salad and potato skin.
Let's be diet buddies. It helps me.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tlesnau
Hey Everyone,

I am also doing Atkins. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has an answer to my question. I have been doing it for two weeks now. There are days that i allow my self to eat whatever and then i go back to low carb. Is this going to work or am i defeating the whole purpose?
that is bad, bad bad
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
FitDay Member

I have several questions I was hoping to have answered by those more experienced.

1) What kind of results can be expected in this diet? I read some on it, but there seems to be mixed results.
2) With cutting carbs, I ended up cutting aloooot of calories. I had less then 1,000 today. I know that is unhealthy, and want to include more. What is a no carb food I could add to my diet to increase my calories another 200 or so?
3) I only plan on doing the induction, as I don't think low carb is best for me. I know it is a healthy diet with many benefits, but I feel more comfortable counting calories. Especially since, though I am not vegetarian, I don't eat alot of meat.
Can anyone tell me what a normal but healthy intake of carbs a day is?
Thanks for your time!!
-Meghan
Meghan;
I don't do Atkins (not that I have anything against it) but I will try to answer some of your questions.

2) With cutting carbs, I ended up cutting aloooot of calories. I had less then 1,000 today. I know that is unhealthy, and want to include more. What is a no carb food I could add to my diet to increase my calories another 200 or so?
Canned tuna is a great no carb protein source. A typical 5oz can has 125 calories, no carbs and 26-35g of protein (depending on the brand, check the nutrition lable). Protein shakes are another good way to increase your protein. Look for one that is low in carbs and fat. I am currently using the Body Fortress brand from Wal-mart. I believe it is 26g protein, 2g carbs and 1g fat when mixed with water.

3) I only plan on doing the induction, as I don't think low carb is best for me. I know it is a healthy diet with many benefits, but I feel more comfortable counting calories.
Some people thrive on the low carb diet, others are grumpy and have a lack of energy. I suggest you do induction and see how your body reacts. Counting calories for me is also an essential for weight loss but I personally try to severly limit my intake of simple carbs like white bread, white rice and sugar. My body just responds better when I do.

2)Can anyone tell me what a normal but healthy intake of carbs a day is?
My diet is about 30-35% protein, 25-30% carbs and the rest fat (remember I am not a follower of the Atkins diet). Other on here have found the PCF ratios work best for them at 40%, 30%, 30%. There are some threads in the forums about optimun PCF percentages where you can get some other ideas. So at 30% of your 1200 calories carbs would be about 360 calories or approximately 90g.

Hope this helps, Good luck!!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 AM
FitDay Member

Talking

i have been on atkins since march of last year. i lost 72lbs. i few times i went back to induction when i started to plateau. once i reached my goal weight - 115 lbs (the weight i was my entire adult life), i began introducing low glycemic index carbs - in other words, healthy carbs. helps maintain weight loss and is a very healthy way to eat. i wanted to lose more than my true goal weight - 120-125 so when the good carbs added more weight, i would be at my true goal weight. atkins can be expensive and food perishes quickly. if you aren't creative, foods can get boring as you eat the same things over and over. also, the things i tended to eat weren't as healthy as they could be. hence the intro of low GI carbs. the goal wasn't just to get back to my normal weight, but to be healthy again.

hope this makes sense lol
i am here if you need encouragement and/or ideas...

as long as you work to keep it healthy, it is a wonderfully successful diet.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU ADD A TON OF FIBER!! digestion could be a problem without it
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM
FitDay Member

It will always worry me that people consider a low carbohydrate diet as healthy. I don't doubt Atkins loses the weight and fast, but it is not sustainable. Whenever I choose to lose weight, I actually up my carbohydrates (water porridge and rye flour, by trial and error, appear to be my most successful weight-loss foods).

As an athlete who competes at a high level, I've found that physically you can't perform well without at least 50-60% carbohydrates. Lowering carbohydrates even as far to sub 40% has a noticably negative impact on my performance, and so I really don't find it to be good on my body.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner
that is bad, bad bad
Sorry, but going off of the Atkins Low Carb and then back on will defeat your purpose.
I lost 35+ pounds in 2004 on Atkins and managed to keep it off until this winter, when I baked and ate until I've gained 10 pounds. Not good. As of yesterday I am back on the (old) Atkins Diet. Works for me, but you definitely need to stay on low carb to allow your body to burn it's own fat. ... hang in there, it will work. BTW .. don't forget the supplements and vitamins.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks RichardBuckner!

I did join atkins.com, I go to the forums there now as mlgibson494 as well. And I have, in a little over a week into Induction lost 14 lbs. Yay!! And it is easy, I'm never hungry, and I have continued with exercise.

I plan to do low carb the rest of my life, seems my healthiest choice. I appreciate the help!!!

(I did gain a pound back though, and haven't broken my diet. The only thing I did was have maybe a mouthful total of a rum and diet coke. A guy I played bean bags with bought it for me. I didn't want to be rude and he nearby. But after sipping it a few times I did walk around the corner and dump most of it out, ordered a water, and let the coke and rum get taken by the waiter)
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks RichardBuckner!

I did join atkins.com, I go to the forums there now as mlgibson494 as well. And I have, in a little over a week into Induction lost 14 lbs. Yay!! And it is easy, I'm never hungry, and I have continued with exercise.

I plan to do low carb the rest of my life, seems my healthiest choice. I appreciate the help!!!

(I did gain a pound back though, and haven't broken my diet. The only thing I did was have maybe a mouthful total of a rum and diet coke. A guy I played bean bags with bought it for me. I didn't want to be rude and he nearby. But after sipping it a few times I did walk around the corner and dump most of it out, ordered a water, and let the coke and rum get taken by the waiter)
Thank them profusely and say you are on a strict diet or have already eaten. Your body weight may vary 4 or 5 pounds a day depending on when your have eaten and gone to the bathroom. I weigh first thing in the morning after peeing. I gained a pound back and was on a plateau for 5 weeks; this morning I found that I had lost two pounds. I seem to know what foods to eat and what not. For the first time in my life I am enjoying lots of fresh green vegetables. God I want french fries, pizza, ice cream and donuts but have resisted, even a bite of brownie. When I break 190 (I am within .8 pounds of it) I will go to Outback, eat half of the steak and salad, eat the potato skin and give the rest away or take it home. When I break 180 I will have my first pizza in months. But this is the way I am now; I get compliments on how fit I look and my self esteem soars. I just finished another play and am putting it on the day before Halloween.
Keep the faith, live longer and look good.
Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.