Notices

Eat to Live diet by Joel Fuhrman

Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default Etl

starting eat to live tomorrow. how did everyone survive the cold turkey standard diet to vegetables and fruits? i'm nervous about my caffeine withdrawal. thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM
FitDay Premium Member

hi everyone, I am new and just received the ETL book from Amazon. On Dec 8 I ordered the NutriBullet from tv, I guess it took a week to get here and my life has changed forever..in a great way! about the same time ( or maybe before? ) I saw Dr F on the Dr Oz show and was very impressed. when my Nutri Bullet arrived I started making green drinks for breakfast & lunch, and snacks and eating 3/4 veggie 1/4 fish dinners.

When I make green drinks I add Olive oil so I stay satiated, when I make a salad in a bowl I use olive oil & vinegar for the dressing..or balsamic oil & vinegar, delicious! I am trying to incorporate more fruits but manage well on a cup of mixed frozen fruits and one banana per day. There is much I can't eat because I get kidney stones, but I am learning what combinations work well for me. Romaine and banana, cucumber, celery and apple are terrific! the banana makes it creamy so I make 2 smoothies one after another and knock them back before my brain registers as too full

I stopped eating red meat a year ago, stopped wheat when I realized it was a major trigger for my depression and have been drinking almond milk for calcium. I do this 90% of the time since mid December and feel soooo much better!! I have lost 35 lbs in the last year just making changes in bad habits but this green drink "habit" makes me feel relaxed and strong and just plain better about myself. I want to lose another 35 lbs this year.

This is all overwhelming if I try to do everything at once so I am taking it in small chunks. I use 2 tsp of sugar instead of 10, big change! I hope to cut back on that but not until after Easter, unless it happens sooner. No pressure.

When I make toasted salmon sandwiches for my husband I just wrap the salmon in Romaine leaves for me since I don't eat bread, it is kind of fun and just as filling. I make a Dutch oven of chicken minestrone soup..I know it has chicken in it but we love it and I am gradually cutting back the chicken and replacing it with beans. Baby steps, but we are going in the right direction

I can't go 100% into this right away or I will bomb, and I know it. I am doing really well with all the changes I have made, I literally have made changes I feel confident are for the long term. I know I meant to mention a change I made to my green drinks was adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil so I don't get hungry afterwards, I do this twice in a row and it works well.

Looking forward to hearing about each of you

cheers,

Nancy

Last edited by Meggietye; 02-03-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! I'm new here! I'm a vegetarian, will be a vegan soon probably. I don't do the ETL diet (my parents think I'm too young for it, since I'm 17). My mom read about the diet, and she and my dad did it for a few weeks last year. My dad's a bit overweight, and he drinks a lot of coffee/diet coke, so he had a hard time with it, especially since he loves meat. He suffered a lot of withdrawals for the first week. But he lost weight from this, and his going to the gym most days. My mom doesn't often work out, but she goes for walks. She had some withdrawals as well, and drinks a lot of coffee. But she also lost weight. They stopped the diet when they got bored, but my mom is now a vegetarian, and my dad's just starting the diet again now (he gained the weight back) and working out.

My grandma is a diabetic, and she lives about an hour and fifteen minutes away from me. She wanted to lose weight last year before the family reunion in summer, and she wasn't able to go to the gym often. I told her about the diet. I was surprised when she said she was going to do it (she was reluctant before). She did use some kind of spritzer for salads (not supposed to), but she stuck very well to the diet otherwise, and she already uses Almond Breeze instead of milk. However, for some holidays, she did go off the diet (birthdays, Easter, etc). But after that, she always went back on. She stopped the diet in August, but eats much healthier now. She is thinking about going back on the diet after Easter because she lost so much weight. She wants her boyfriend to do the diet as well, because he has kidney problems and doesn't eat healthily (too much meat and dairy and fat, not enough veggies), and he doesn't go the the gym often (he does walk though). My grandma goes to the gym every other day, she's kind of a health nut, lol. But I was amazed to learn that her usual diabetic symptoms decreased after the withdrawals were done! She also had to use milk of magnesia prior to her diet because of her constipation issues, but when she was on the diet, she stopped using milk of magnesia and could "go normally". She loved the diet and loves eating fruits/veggies, since she has her own garden anyways. I think I'll try it soon.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM
FitDay Member

Default trying ETL again.

I've been trying to eat to live for several years, but have been torn between it and Dr Gundry's diet plan, Diet Evolution. He recommends no fruit at first, saying that it activates insulin. Which makes sense, since fruit is naturally only available in summer, when we're storing fat for winter famines.
But so many people are losing on ETL that I'm giving it another try. My labs are great, but the weight doesn't come off.
I joined Biggest Loser at work, so have a little money invested in losing weight! So hope this will work this time. I'm trying to stick to it religiously for the first 6 to 8 weeks.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:22 PM
FitDay Member

I've never heard of ETL before this post but I ate a very similar vegan diet for three weeks recently after watching some documentaries about eating a whole food plant based diet. I was never hunger and felt great. My food shopping and cooking time went way up but it was worth it. I was more regular than I wanted to be but it was workable.

I have added in some meat and dairy recently because I was losing weight too fast. I don't want to loss too much muscle mass, and have too much excess skin folds if I can help it, which from what I have read can be a result of really fast weight loss.

I may go back to eating much less or no animal products once I lose more weight and need less calories.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default 6 weeks in

I'm just finishing out my first 6 weeks of more or less following the Eat to Live diet. I say more or less because I've used my share of non ETL salad dressings, and some oil for stir fry. That was the compromise I had to make with myself. If I was going to increase my veggie intake I needed to make them as palatable as possible. :-)

I am an unlikely nutritarian in that I'm not especially fond of vegetables and even less so of beans! It is true that that tastes do change as you stick with it, and lentils are a really good gateway to eating beans. Another thing that I've found is that the more salad I eat, the better I feel and the quicker I lose the weight - especially now that I'm using much lower calorie dressings.

So I started off wanting to drop 25lbs, get control over my food cravings, and just generally feel better. In the first six weeks, I took off 15 of those pounds, quickly eliminated the food cravings, and I definitely feel better. I'm so much less preoccupied with food, and for the first time in my adult life, I'm no longer addicted to caffeine. ETL has exceeded all of my expectation and will definitely become a lifestyle choice for me.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default Starting ETL today!

Am excited to commit to this way of eating! Thought I'd join this forum to stay as motivated months from now. Question--is almond milk allowed? I've read the book cover to cover but can't find a definitive answer. Since I'm on the six week plan, I'm assuming "no".
Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM
FitDay Member

Default not sure

I like the diet very much. However, instead of losing weight on it, I'm gaining about a kilo a week. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by ChaiKitty
Is anyone else having success with the Eat to Live plan?

So, is anyone else out there having success with this diet? I love it. It has totally revolutionized my eating and I have lost 30lbs in 5 months. I frequently have cheats, but up to the point allowable in the 90% rule. I also feel this diet will be sustaiable for the long term and I look forward to striving to eat this way for the rest of my life. No more counting calories.

Please share your stories.

Thanks,
ChaiKitty
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default Low-Fat Dairy

Originally Posted by SlimGlad
Am excited to commit to this way of eating! Thought I'd join this forum to stay as motivated months from now. Question--is almond milk allowed? I've read the book cover to cover but can't find a definitive answer. Since I'm on the six week plan, I'm assuming "no".
Why is low-fat dairy not allowed during the first six weeks? What is so fattening or unhealthy about 1% Cottage Cheese? It is only 150 calories total. Aside from the two pieces of whole wheat bread I'm eating, everything else I eat is a fruit or a vegetable. And I walk vigorously over an hour a day. And I am still gaining weight.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

Isn't this a limited-fats diet? That's where calories really add up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.