Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
How has 6 'good' days and 1 'free' day worked for you? >

How has 6 'good' days and 1 'free' day worked for you?

Notices

How has 6 'good' days and 1 'free' day worked for you?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM
FitDay Member

Question How has 6 'good' days and 1 'free' day worked for you?

Still trying to work out how i want to organise my food schedule... was curious to hear from people on this method.

How did your exercise week look like? What was your daily calorie intake for the 6 days? Did you stick with this method, if not, why?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know if this thread is a follow up of another but that way of eating works well for me.

I just finished a week of 30f/30p/40c. I wanted to see if it was time to up my carbs. Nope! I feel like I gained fat and I don't feel as healthy as I usually do!

I am going to do a week of 30f/40p/30c next to see how it works for me.

ETA: My cheat day is included in my weekly total. Click on chart to enlarge.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 03-27-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I used to do that, but had a little plateau so changed it to one "day off" per month (that still gets logged). My "day off" did/does include beer, so that might skew things a bit. Otherwise, I stay close to 1500, though a bit over is OK. With "days off" factored in, my average daily calorie intake is around 1580.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 AM
FitDay Member

Hola, I have allowed myself one treat meal (I keep it to one meal, not the whole day) a week since I started this almost a year ago, and I still do. I'm happy with the results so far.

To answer your questions, as of now I work out 6 days a week (mostly circuit training and a couple days of intense - for me! - cardio) and keep my calories around 1500 every day. On my 'cheat' day, it's typically around 2000, but it goes above that every now and then. In the beginning, I was working out probably around 3-4 times a week (walking at about 3mph).

Let me know if you want any more specific info, and much luck to you on your journey. Oh, and I'm 29, 5'3 and female, to put it in perspective.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks!

vabeachgirlNYC, I had a look at your graphs and was wondering why your calorie intake and programmed calories burnt are so low?!! Is this because of the program and your individual data imput?? Mine is at ~2400 calories burnt daily and i'm eating on average 1,600 calories daily..... thats with sleep and activities logged and 'sitting all day' lifestyle.

At the moment i cycle to college and it's about 30/40 minutes and 4.8 miles there and back. I do this 5/6 times a week. But other than that i haven't organised other exercises. I was thinking of getting some light weights, resistance bands and a jump rope and making up a little routine i can do at home. I don't have room in the lounge room to do videos or the money for fancy machinery!

With JUST the cycling i'm thinking i'm probably not doing enough exercise just yet to try this method out.... does anybody agree/disagree?

Also, the moral of the story with daily calorie intake is to minus a certain amount of what you are typically eating now, in inticipation for your free meal/day?

And i apologize if this should have been on another tread - i did a quick search but couldn't see a similar title on the list :-/

But thanks for the support and responses, it's a huge help!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

As far as exercise, it looks like cycling is working out very well for you. If you're interested in seeing estimates of how many calories are burned for a variety of activities, check this link out: Calories Burned - Exercise Calculator This site has a bunch of fun calculators and cool info - I've used it ever since another FitDayer posted it months ago.

Anyway, I think resistance bands are wonderful - and you can always just jump in place, too. My belief is that you do not need a great deal of equipment or space to get fit - there are lots of different exercises you can do that use your body weight as resistance (push-ups, for example). There's a book called "You Are Your Own Gym" that you may want to check out - I don't have it, but I've heard good things about it. There are, of course, lots of websites that show exercises, and YouTube too.

You said: Also, the moral of the story with daily calorie intake is to minus a certain amount of what you are typically eating now, in inticipation for your free meal/day?

To be honest, I don't cut calories in anticipation for my free meal- I just eat around 1500cal/day because that's what I've found to be a nice calorie range for me, where I'm satisfied but consistently lose weight. That's just me, though, I'm sure others approach it differently. In the beginning, my free meal used to be pretty huge, and it would put my calories for that day pretty close to 3k. As time went on, it really became much more moderate - now, for one day a week, I just eat around maintenance level. Not intentionally - just sorta happens that way.

Hope that helps - in the end, this takes a lot of trial and error and finding what works for you. You'll get there.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SvetaDoll
vabeachgirlNYC, I had a look at your graphs and was wondering why your calorie intake and programmed calories burnt are so low?!! Is this because of the program and your individual data imput??
If I ate what all the BMR charts said I should, I would gain weight. I put in a custom BMR, Sedentary lifestyle, log my sleep and I log my workouts at a lower burn rate. I'm 5'2" and want to try to lose another 5-10 pounds while building more muscle.

At the moment i cycle to college and it's about 30/40 minutes and 4.8 miles there and back. I do this 5/6 times a week...
I was thinking of getting some light weights, resistance bands and a jump rope and making up a little routine i can do at home...
The cycling is a great cardio workout...as long as you are peddling and not cruising, lol! I suggest getting DB's and a BB that you can add plates to. Lift as heavy as you can. I use to spend an hour+ doing low weight reps but now I do 25-30 minutes of heavy, less rep, lifting and can't believe how much quicker I get results!

Also, the moral of the story with daily calorie intake is to minus a certain amount of what you are typically eating now, in inticipation for your free meal/day?
Not really. I went higher carb everyday that week and I felt kind of gross and bloated. It was actually harder for me to do my normal workouts too. Normally I just have a reload carb day but keep the calories in check most of the time. Sometimes I go all out too!

To lose the pounds you have to burn more cals than you take in. If you want to lose about a pound a week then you need to eat 3500 cals less then you burn. Some choose to do it by eating 500 cals less per day. If you are honestly doing that, like I was, and not losing anything then your BMR is probably set too high.

And i apologize if this should have been on another tread - i did a quick search but couldn't see a similar title on the list :-/
I didn't mean it should have been on another thread. I thought this was a part two thread because of the title!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
FitDay Member

thank you vabeachgirlNYC and changeisgood29 for the advice.

I'm going to get some DBs first, resistant bands and find a copy of that book! ^_^
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

Default I don't do the day off because I cheat anyways

Yes, it's true. I cheat on my eating plan. The cheating gets factored in with my calories and my exercise. I'm cheating my way down the scale. I don't cheat every day, but when I do, I make sure it's a low fat or reasonably lower calorie cheat.

I buy fat-free Pringles. One can a week. When they're gone, they're gone. Regular chips have 140 calories per ounce and a high fat count. These are zero fat and I have no reaction to the fat substitute in them.

My cheats are much healthier than they ever have been. I used to binge on cheese, full fat slices of swiss, cheddar, high-fat everything. All the fat cheese is gone and the only types are low-fat string cheese and american cheese (which I hate, so it's safe from me). I used to inhale chocolate milk. Now it's skim milk and a pouch of sugar-free carnation instant breakfast.

I can't bring myself to bring the food that made me fat to begin with, into the house. It's a control thing. So a cheat day won't work for me. I must not eat pizza because I don't have control over it.

Every one is different. I just know that a day off for me would mean I'd have to work twice as hard the next day.

Good luck all.