Notices

have HYPOTHYROID problems. diet?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default have HYPOTHYROID problems. diet?

I am 51, had hypo thyroid for 4 years. No matter what, I cant loose weight.

Is anyone else with problems like this. sure would help to know I am not the only one.

Any one had success on a certain diet plan?

Would love to hear from you

thank you
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Tammy, welcome to FitDay!

Are you on meds for your thyroid?

What have you tried in regards to losing weight?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I am on 112 mcg synthroid and 10 cytomel, so yep I am on meds. I havent really tried a major weight loss plan, just watching my carb intake.

HEY! I am glad to be here, great site, thank you
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default HypoThyroid

Paleo/Primal, all the way. Robb Wolf (robbwolf.com) is an excellent resource and it seems like every week on his podcast there is a question on the air relevant to Hypothyroid and Hashimoto's Disease (typically followed by a praise for his philosophy), and the man knows his science on the subject. Check out his podcast and his book, The Paleo Solution Diet. Mark Sisson is another great resource for a similar diet/lifestyle, albeit Wolf seems to know more and address your specific problem. I believe in the 48th Podcast, Robb Wolf talks specifically about T4 and iodine issues one of his listeners was having.
And as usual, consult your doctor before starting anything.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tammy1234567
Hi, I am on 112 mcg synthroid and 10 cytomel, so yep I am on meds. I havent really tried a major weight loss plan, just watching my carb intake.

HEY! I am glad to be here, great site, thank you
I am also hypothyroid. My "story" is posted somewhere around here!

Don't let your thyroid become your excuse for not losing weight. If your levels are normal with the meds, you can lose weight just like anyone else. By eating healthy and exercising, I did. YOU have to want it bad enough to actually do it. It is hard but so worth it!

I highly suggest logging your food (be honest and log EVERYTHING!). It really helps to figure out what changes you need to make to lose the weight and get healthy. I find that lower carbs work best for me but everyone is different.

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I too am hypothyroid and over 40. This is a DIFFICULT combination...but do NOT DESPAIR.
All of a sudden, traditional weight loss plans just stopped working.
And I exercised kind of a lot!!!!

My doc put me on something like the primal blueprint plan and it IS working!!!!!I have posted about it here in places.

Basically....no dairy, grains or sugar.

I eat lots of veggies, even juice them now and again. I also eat lean meats in moderate portions...am working on buying most of my meats from the best sources.

Consider getting the Primal Blueprint book or something like it.

Hang in there.....it WILL be worth it in the end.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Try supplementing with iodine. You can run it by your doctor first if you're concerned. It flipped the switch for me. Even though my levels were registering okay, I could not lose. I also have more energy, am more alert and my metabolism must be higher because my body temp even went up about 1.5 degrees to normal. I take 2.5mg (1 drop Lugol's 2% solution). I had a headache or two the first few days, but that was it.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely ask your doctor before adding iodine. Since you are on meds you don't want to mess around with anything that would directly effect your thyroid.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
FitDay Member

Hey, I too am also hypothyroid..but I am also a professional dancer and its taken me years of doctors and listening to countless information that I'm realising the simple fact that I CAN lose weight..but it was hard for me also, a low carb diet, LOTS of fiber and the normal healthy eating ..veg, fruit, iron and protein rich foods..

I also realised for my body only a total of 1000calories at the most a day is sufficient..

I can maintain a steady weight now..I'd like to be smaller, thats why I'm using this site, however found it extremely benificial to log everything I eat each day and have seen a small weight drop as well as burning roughly 1500calories a day on excercise....might sound a lot, but thats how I've lost weight and this is while I am out of work..

Worth a try, I'm on 200 levothyroxine (doctors refuse to supply natural thyroid)
I'm trying to lose my last 10llbs to be the perfect "dancer" weight. At 26 I'm obviously younger than the average hypothyroid, but I fear that bring told 1000x I cant lose weight and having the career choice in which being toned and slender is crucial I decided to try my hardest and ignore those comments and since then I've realise having a thyroid problem makes weightloss a challenge not impossible...I think mind over matter has helped me also, and yes I have tired and weak days, but like I said, if I can have a toned slender athletic body and get my energy from natural sugars like oranges and learn to drink plenty water, my thyroid problem doesn't exist in my mind..
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I have started the Paleo diet - I had my thyroid removed in 2003, am on daily meds, but found the weight just wouldn't come off after creeping on over the past 5 years. This low carb diet is working for me. In week 2 now and I have lost 2kgs, 6cms from top, middle and bottom! I am getting enough to eat and my skin is looking really healthy. Maybe you would like to read up on it - google as sherlocktke suggested - I wish someone had told me this years ago. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.