Notices

Should I stop WeightWatchers?

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

I did WW online a while back, maybe 7 years ago? I found it was too fussy for me. I also found that I didn't make the best food choices when I was on the plan and due to that, might have been why I was quite hungry most of the time. Not that hungry is a bad feeling, but I was cranky-hungry and that was aggravating for me. And that is what I was, very, very cranky.

Fitday is my hero. I love to click that nutrients button and see, "Hey! I ate really well today!" by seeing all those percentages in the nutritional breakdown. I have never eaten more healthy in my life than when I am consistently logging here on Fitday.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by frenchhen3
I did WW online a while back, maybe 7 years ago? I found it was too fussy for me. I also found that I didn't make the best food choices when I was on the plan and due to that, might have been why I was quite hungry most of the time. Not that hungry is a bad feeling, but I was cranky-hungry and that was aggravating for me. And that is what I was, very, very cranky.

Fitday is my hero. I love to click that nutrients button and see, "Hey! I ate really well today!" by seeing all those percentages in the nutritional breakdown. I have never eaten more healthy in my life than when I am consistently logging here on Fitday.

Great comparison. I think of WW as a good program overall, but it's kinda like a "dumbed down" version of calorie tracking. It's simple, and simple is good to understand and is good for some people, but if one really wants to take the time to educate oneself, like using the tools and resources here on FitDay, one becomes like their very own nutritionist. Then a marketed "diet" or "plan" isn't necessary.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by camilleca
I've (re)discovered this site (I joined it months ago, but then my weight loss goals kind of fizzled out). I joined WeightWatchers a few months ago, and was wondering if it was worth it to stick with this program. It seems that the points system teaches me a few things, but it also seems that I would rather learn about the actual calorie/nutrition components of foods rather than just count points. I don't know. Is there something I'm missing about WW?
I skipped all the pages to here, so I'm not sure what you decided. For my money, WW was good for accountability, but not for lifestyle change. If you're just using it for accountability, TOPS is more economical ($26/year national dues, $5/month local dues). I liked TOPS much better. TOPS has a published eating guide, but they talk more about lifestyle changes than actual eating plans--you generally use the food plan chosen by you or your doctor (unlike WW who always got upset because I was on Atkins and losing much faster than the other club members).
Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I believe that WW is all about lifestyle change (the accountability is important, too).

The only thing really discussed at WW meetings is how to stay on your plan. Everyone at the meeting has individual points plus assigned to them. Points are based on age, weight, height - just as fitday figures your calorie allowance for you. Points are basically calories, weighted a bit to steer you toward fresh fruits and vegetables and some lean protein. You can also earn points with physical activity. At a recent meeting, I saw that WW has a pedometer that not only tells you distance but also how many points you used in a day by walking. You don't have to use it - it's just a convenience. I don't use activity points to try to be able to eat more, but it would be good incentive to exercise if I did.

TOPS and Overeaters Anonymous are cheaper but they have the necessary components of support and accountability. If you use fitday faithfully, there is support (forum) and accountability (reports of what you accurately enter). One thing that WW adds in accountability is automatic logging of your weight from the meeting weigh-in to your online profile (Weight Watchers online). Your weight goes into the computer from the weigh-in and appears in your weight report when you log in to WW online.

One thing I have noticed: when I eat to stay within points range, there's not so much food in my kitchen. Whatever the cost of WW, if you stick to the points, you definitely save on food. Fresh vegetables and fruits can be expensive, but I buy marked-down veggies, past their prime. They taste good, they are fresh! I imagine this would be the case with TOPS or OA, too.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

WW does the same thing Fitday does, except they counted the calories for you ahead of time. You would still need to use a food journal to track what you are eating. As far as being fussy, I am finding I have to enter foods on Fitday as well, and quite a bit at that. Contrary to the other comment, WW doesn't seem to lean toward low protein/high carb, nor does Nutrisystem, and both have online tools that work to your advantage.
I do not use WW. I did a long time ago, but I did use their site, and Nutrisystem's site, both have easy to use food logging tools. The NS one I did concurrently with my Fitday entries so I had even more tools at my disposal.
Bottom line is, one is free and one is not. Both are going to require energy and attention, so in that regard, neither is "easy". Nothing worth having is easy, though, and if you are truly dedicated you will make either (or both) work for you. It's a commitment, and the only one that won't work is the one you don't commit to, right?
I suppose that's the hardest part. The commitment to your body. And mind.

I am trying to stay committed! Good luck to you!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

I just wanted to add, that I'm using NEITHER WW or NS now. Just Fitday entries. The goal is to log in every single thing I eat, so that I can track exactly what's going into my body, know what nutrients I'm short on, and all that good stuff. Like I said, it's a commitment! After you do it long enough, it becomes a habit.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cvk426
I just wanted to add, that I'm using NEITHER WW or NS now. Just Fitday entries. The goal is to log in every single thing I eat, so that I can track exactly what's going into my body, know what nutrients I'm short on, and all that good stuff. Like I said, it's a commitment! After you do it long enough, it becomes a habit.
It is a habit, but I have to admit that I am getting weary. I have been using fitday for a very long time. In the last 14 months, I have only skipped a couple of weeks--planned lazy days. It's important, though, so that I can go over the data with my diabetes doctor.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

I go to WW and use their online tools (the website). But I've been using fitday for years - and this means my custom foods list is HUGE! I wish that when you searched for a food, the search brought up everything including your custom food.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default WW is a business

with lots of repeat customers. The majority of people may lose weight, but regain it when they abandon the "lifestyle". I have tried WW and found a better way with FitDay. I like to know that the balance of my food is "right" for me, so the pie chart is my best friend.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
I go to WW and use their online tools (the website). But I've been using fitday for years - and this means my custom foods list is HUGE! I wish that when you searched for a food, the search brought up everything including your custom food.
Amen!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.