Calorie Counting >

Calorie Counting

Community
Notices

Calorie Counting

Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
FitDay Member

Post Calorie Counting

I just count cals I dont count protein, fats or carbs or anything like that just cals. I keep myself under a set number and I am good. I did do a massive lifestyle change when I took it on. I cook everything and prepare it all at home its a bit easier on the pocket book and its fun. I also find that it takes just as long to make my meals as it would to go order something so that helps a lot. In a pinch I will get a 6inch sub from subway or a salad from MCds but thats rare. I also allow myself one cheat day a week to keep myself sane, its not like i cheat big when I do but sometimes pizza is just the right thing to set my mind for the next week.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM
FitDay Member

At the very least, I think you should count the grams of proteins you are taking in.
When the body cannot find enough protein in the diet, it'll eat away part of your muscles to find what is required. And with less muscle, in the long run you burn less calories.
So 1g per pound of bodyweight, spread evenly among each meals during the day is what I would do if I were you.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
FitDay Member

I used to do a gram per pound when I was bodybuilding back in the day but your body can only absorb 25 grams during a meal and I only eat about 4-5 times a day so getting over 200 grams isnt realistic for me but I know I get enough between whey protien and chicken, turkey or fish at dinner plus a protien shake after workouts its good.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

This is pretty much what I am doing, but I do keep track of my protein, fiber, and sodium intakes as well. Last time I did this I lost 36 pounds in 6 months... and now doing it again years later due to gaining weight because of money issues for better foods, stress, depression, and use to having a boyfriend that only wanted to go to pizza buffets.

Right now I have lost 10 pounds doing this ^_^ hoping to lose 37 more.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I try to keep track of my protein (as I need to keep my carboholic tendencies in check). I usually try to make sure I'm at 20% minimum on my daily fitday pie graph. Any feedback on if this is too low or good enough?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Do you count the 'cheat'?

I think whatever you eat, as long as you are counting calories, that's key. When you log the food, you can tell if the amounts of protein, carbohydrate, and fat are making you more or less hungy. Fiber helps you feel full longer, too.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

I also basically count calories more than anything else. I try to stay under 1500 calories. I am going to see if the percentages of Fat/Carb/Protein makes much of a difference. Best wishes to all.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 AM
FitDay Member

I do not calorie count either, I do portion count, but I do not weigh portions. I estimate portions based upon fist size, something I learned in a book. I make sure I balance my intake of proteins, veggies, complex carbs, and fruits, but do not get crazy about hitting specific numbers.

I focus more on hitting my exercise goals and exceeding them. It seems I consistently lose weight when I do that, not when I focus too highly on calorie counting.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

A soon to be brother-in-law of my is a pretty hardcore triathalon participant and used to do body building competitions. He has been in 3-4 Iron man competitions more recently. He was in for Christmas this weekend so I picked his brain about some of these questions I had myself. He re-assured me that while counting calories is important, it is just as, or more important to keep track of your protein/carb/fat intake if you want to get optimal results. He also very very strongly recommended that I start weight training more, and keep the cardio exercises mixed in.

He also verified something I read, stating that the biggest mistake most people make is not taking in enough calories. Yes your calories in, has to be below your calories out if you want to cut fat. But, if you dip too far below your BMR, then your body has one goal and that is to survive... Therefore, every time you DO take in calories your body is going to try to store them instead of boosting your metabolism and burning them for energy. That for optimal results you have to take in enough clean intelligent calories that your body wants to turn it into energy, and lean muscle. That's also where the weight training comes into play, if you are taking in enough calories, then you are working your muscles, your body will build lean muscle and it will shred the fat off your body instead of the muscle. This info sounds logical but it is a little bit hard to trust for the first few weeks, as when taking in the right calories, until you "wake up" your metabolism, you might even experience weight gains, but in the big picture, when you aim for a healthy lifestyle instead of just a short term diet, it is logical and a proven method. So don't be afraid to take in calories if you are burning a lot through work/exercise. And no you won't "bulk" up just because you take in a lot of protein, you will only wake up your metabolism and tell your body that it's ok to turn fat into lean muscle, and you will supply it with the nutrients and balanced diet to let it burn.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calorie Counting

I never know how much calorie one needs. I heard all sort of numbers one needs. I'm a member of T.O.P.S (taking off pounds sensibly) and it was brought up in a discussion on counting calories...It said a human need 10 to 15 calories for each pound one weigh. A lot depend on activity and other factors
So a 200 pound person needs somewhere between 2,000 to 3,000 calorie to maintain there weight.
Right now I'm at 210.25 and I try to keep my calorie count between 1,500 and 2,000 calories. But below 1,500 I get hungry and cranky. I'M aiming to be under 200 pounds by the end of Feb. I don't count fats and crabs but I try to get balance diet.