FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Somersizing? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/3265-somersizing.html)

kathmeyer 02-03-2011 01:04 PM

Somersizing?

Is there anyone out there that is Somersizing right now? Any tips?

almeeker 02-03-2011 01:55 PM

Can't say that I even know what Somersizing is, but welcome to the forum.

MunaAmin 02-04-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 34755)
Can't say that I even know what Somersizing is, but welcome to the forum.

i know i know :D Somersizing is following a diet made up by Suzanne Sommers. My diet book says 'hugely popular in the '90 averaging 800kcal a day'

Meggietye 02-04-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by MunaAmin (Post 34785)
i know i know :D Somersizing is following a diet made up by Suzanne Sommers. My diet book says 'hugely popular in the '90 averaging 800kcal a day'

Hi Kath, I know about Suzanne's diet plan as I did it back in the day. I quickly became concerned about my arteries tho and stopped doing it but I do enjoy some of her recipes and still have her books.

Zanyan4575 02-04-2011 09:33 AM

I "Somersized" quite a bit back in the day. I was quite successful with it throughout my late 30s and early 40s, but I've found that as I have gotten older (now 49), my body is changing, and I can't handle the carb-only meals. I'm doing the Newest Atkins now, and it's quite a bit like Somersizing if you Somersized doing only Protein-Fat-Veggie meals. I have never been overweight since I started Somersizing (12 years ago?), and always go back to some version of it if I've been overeating and need to lose a few pounds. I'm doing the New Atkins now because I got close to the top of the "normal" range for my height, and I prefer to be in the middle of that range. I got there during the holidays because I was eating bread, potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. :D.

As far as the "800 kcals/day" thing goes - Somersizing is not a calorie counting diet. I did the diet, and recommended it to dozens of people who were successful on it, and the lowest cals I ever ate daily on it was 1500, and as far as I know, that was the norm for my friends/colleagues as well. I usually ate 1600/day. I actually coudn't eat any more than that because the protein-fats-veggies meals kill my appetite. Right now, doing only protein-fats-veggies, I can barely eat 1400 cals a day, and have been eating 1200 or less comfortably. (Why do I ever stop eating this way? Darn holidays with all the delicious carb heavy food!).

Meggietye 02-15-2011 01:16 PM

If memory serves me correctly I did very well on her plan, I think I lost about 11 lbs, most of it off my tummy, the first 3 weeks! Now I am eating less and moving more consuming 1500 cal or less so I think I will pull out one of her books for some dinner ideas. I really like her recipes and had pretty well forgotten about them..thanks for the memory jog!lol