The Eat More and Move Less Diet? >

The Eat More and Move Less Diet?

Community
Notices

The Eat More and Move Less Diet?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
it may not be the "Eat More and Move Less" Diet, but I think that man would have certainly advocated the "Don't Diet And Accept Your Fate!" view!
or possibly "Don't Diet And Accept Your Fat!" or "Don't Diet And Accept You're Fat!" Both work .
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meggietye
Taubele..haha it reminds me once again of how important it is to consider the source! My husband is a physician and if he has asked me once he has asked me a hundred times to look into the financing behind the article.
Hahaha, right? I was like "Sheesh, the man wants us all to line up for the bypass!! Here's my money, good sir!

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
or possibly "Don't Diet And Accept Your Fat!" or "Don't Diet And Accept You're Fat!" Both work .
Hahahaha! "Don't Diet and Excise Your Fat?"
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AAFlaca
The primal/paleo diets are not really about eating less and exercising.
They have that effect indirectly though. A lot of the foods you're to cut out are the ones in modern society that are most calorie dense.

The average diet is so terrible that putting the slightest bit of effort into changing what you eat tends to have some reduction of excess calorie consumption. (unless you load up on bacon or something to compensate)

No one asks my "secret" yet () but they DO ask pretty frequently why I'm determined to go lift heavy things at the gym 3 times a week. (because it makes moving furniture easier, obviously )
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Yes, since I have reduced my carbs and have eaten differently (no sugar and extremely limited dairy/grains) my appetite has decreased. It is easier for me to eat vegetables, I actually enjoy+ crave them! However, it took a few months to get to this point. And the beginning was no picnic. There are times I crave sugar, but I concentrate on my successes and it is much easier to pass up. Folks have been asking me (and now my spouse) what we are doing and we tell them: no sugar, dairy or grains and they think it is too hard. But being over weight was too hard, really. I have more energy now...more than I have had in a LONG time!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default First you regain your balance

I started the "Naturally Thin" program (the one by Jean Antonello, not the one by B. Frankell) about 2 months ago, and my weight is dropping nicely, thank you very much. It is also an "eat more, move less" program: the central idea is that overeating (or splurging, binging, whatever you want to call it) is a response to prior undereating (dieting, restricting, etc). To break the cycle, "eat more" has to come first, to allow the need/desire to overeat stabilize.

It's like hyperventilating: you think you're short on air, can't breathe, and you've aboslutely got to get back in balance before you can do anything else.

As for exercise: when the body is low on calories, exercise (and subsequent increase in GH) actually reduces rather than increases endorphin level. When hungry, the paleolithic body wants to hibernate, not run around and play. And really, who wants to do something, day after day, that makes them feel bad?

Now that I have given myself permission to eat more and move less, I'm back in balance and able to physically enjoy eating less and moving more.

Last edited by Matty_H; 03-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Matty_H
I started the "Naturally Thin" program about 2 months ago, and my weight is dropping nicely, thank you very much. It is also an "eat more, move less" program: the central idea is that overeating (or splurging, binging, whatever you want to call it) is a response to prior undereating (dieting, restricting, etc). To break the cycle, "eat more" has to come first, to allow the need/desire to overeat stabilize.

It's like hyperventilating: you think you're short on air, can't breathe, and you've aboslutely got to get back in balance before you can do anything else.

As for exercise: when the body is low on calories, exercise (and subsequent increase in GH) actually reduces rather than increases endorphin level. When hungry, the paleolithic body wants to hibernate, not run around and play. And really, who wants to do something, day after day, that makes them feel bad?

Now that I have given myself permission to eat more and move less, I'm back in balance and able to physically enjoy eating less and moving more.
OK, here are the "10 Rules" from Naturally Thin:
  1. Your diet is a bank account (you need to balance your calories for the day).
  2. You can have it all -- just not all at once.
  3. Taste everything, eat nothing (share food, eat small bites).
  4. Pay attention (say no to mindless eating.)
  5. Downsize your portions now.
  6. Cancel your membership in the Clean Plate Club.
  7. Check yourself before you wreck yourself (stop emotional and binge eating).
  8. Know thyself (know your trigger foods).
  9. Get real (eat more whole foods and fewer processed ones).
  10. Good for you (make peace with food).
Sorry, but I can't see anything there about "eating more" (not to mention "moving less").

But, I am glad it's working for you!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Woops - my bad! Different Naturally Thin! (did you know titles are not copyrightable in the US?) You were quoting the new book by Frankell, I am talking about the older book by Jean Antonello.

Last edited by Matty_H; 03-01-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

mecompco - are you doing the Biggest Loser Diet? I have never lost and kept off more than five pounds. Ever! So, I admire those who do. I have exercised to points where I totally exhaust myself, but the weight comes back on. I am addicted to sugar and can't seem to break it, but I'm not a perpetual junk food eater either. I've decided to count calories and journal. already 1:00 and I've eater 1200 calories.

stuck in a rut
Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by rayxo
mecompco - are you doing the Biggest Loser Diet? I have never lost and kept off more than five pounds. Ever! So, I admire those who do. I have exercised to points where I totally exhaust myself, but the weight comes back on. I am addicted to sugar and can't seem to break it, but I'm not a perpetual junk food eater either. I've decided to count calories and journal. already 1:00 and I've eater 1200 calories.

stuck in a rut
Hi there. I don't really use any particular diet (I just like the Biggest Loser avatar ). My guidelines are to basically keep, on average, a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat mix (as per the Zone diet) while eating lean protein, complex carbs and fruits and veggies--basically good, normal food.

I excercise every day and drink at least a gallon of water.

Thats pretty much it. I stay around 1500 cals, have one "day off" per month (that I still log) and it's worked pretty well. More or less 175 pounds off in the last 11 months.

Regards,
Michael