Notices

Gluten Free January

Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default Gluten Free January

It's a month-long challenge to go gluten-free in January. I like these kinds of challenges because it forces you to adopt a lifestyle change for a "trial period" of a month and if it doesn't work for you, you don't have to do it anymore, and you don't risk wrecking yourself in the span of a month. Just thought I'd throw this out there. I'm doing it.

Gluten Free January

Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

Actually, gluten free opens up a whole new world of better nutrition. I won't join you because I have been low gluten for the past couple of weeks with my granddaughter visiting.

Gluten free Rice Stuffing
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup water
1/4 cup each, chopped onion, grated carrot, chopped celery
1 tsp poultry seasoning (check ingredients or mix your own)
Turkey or chicken broth (check ingredients or use fresh broth)

Partially cook rice in water. Mix in vegetables, seasoning and about a cup of broth. Put in small casserole dish and cover lightly with foil. Bake for about an hour in 350 oven.

Hot Vermicelli Lunch
1 serving of bean vermicelli noodles
1/4 cup frozen beans or peas
1/4 cup canned chickpeas or other legume
1 tsp flax oil
1/2 tsp dried basil

Cover noodles in water and bring to a boil. Let sit in water till noodles are tender.
Cook beans or peas. Drain excess fluid from noodles and vegetables.
Mix all ingredients and serve. This can be put in a thermos and brought in a bag lunch, just let the noodles sit in hot water for less time.

I should have some Quinoa recipes around as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Sorry, no thanks. We were a GF house for 4 1/2 long years. Our oldest was allergic to wheat until she turn 6. Can I tell you how bad some of those binges were? I might do a GF diet in April to prep for a race I'm thinking about doing. But we'll see, I'm still a long way from being able to finish without embarrassing myself.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wow! I am impressed!

Thanks for sharing...you have certainly helped motivate me...just started and have 40 lbs. to lose by 5-31-11...good luck on your last 28!

Gina