Community
Notices

Fasting

Old 01-18-2011, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

I do something similar but all the time. I fast for 22 he's every day and have an eating window of 2 he's per day. It is losely based on the Neanderthal diet. Losely as I can't afford to go low Carb but I do cook everything from scratch and make sure I eat enough protein. I am on a tight budget and as a single mum to a teenager I can't afford to cook 2 different meals every night. I wont lose weight as fast as on low Carb and I know that if I eat too many carbs per meal that I am full but get hunger pangs the next day. At the moment I am losing weight too fast (5kg in 2 weeks). I might have to increase my calories.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

I have investigated various Intermittent Fasting styles including ESE, Warrior Diet, Fast 5 and leangains. The science seems to make sense, so I've chosen the leangains approach, basically a 16 hour fast and 8 hour feeding window (sometimes more like 18/6). I have previously tried the more common 5-6 small meals, but since I enjoy eating big meals, I was never really satisfied with 6 small meals. IF seems to fit my life style. I have lost some fat, my strength has not suffered and I have plenty of energy. I train early a.m. in a fasted state. I do use protein shakes to get enough protein and plan to begin using BCAAs before and after training.
Bob
Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
FitDay Member

After reading this whole thread, and much more information.. I've decided to do a mini-fast

2 days raw plain vegetables
1 day watered-down juice
2 days water
1 day of half water half juice, maybe some watered down chicken broth.
1 day of vegetables and maybe some meat broth (I'll make a little soup.)

Then back to solid food after that. I might actually take an extra few days to eat very lightly. I've chosen to do this way because I've read a lot about the effects and how the first time can be really scary for some people. As for me I do have an irrational weird paranoia that I'm hurting my body if I sustain from eating. This fast will help me get that fear out of my mind. Another problem i've read about is that when reintroducing yourself back to food can sometimes lead to a compulsive over-eatting. More so for a longer fast. This is why i've decided to do a very steady introduction to fasting and no steep slope from eating to not eatting , or reversed
Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

I could never do that. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by noelminneci
I could never do that. Let us know how it works out for you.
Will do.
I'm starting next week since I need to get a few things (more vegetables, some kind of broth, healthy juices.) and can't till next week.

OKAY UPDATE:

I tried to do this fast, planned it very well.. couldn't do it this time.
Just was too hard to do my workouts on an empty stomach. I got through the day of only vegetables , but only juices ! I couldn't, I had no energy, and no self-control apparently. My mom made a wonderful low-cal cabbage/beef soup which I could smell simmering for hours and I devoured it for supper today after doing a wimpy workout (I sweat as if I was running 10MPH at only about 3-4MPH). So I guess fasting on juice just is too hard for me when I'm also trying to workout a lot. I can't imagine trying a water fast right now. Maybe I will try this again when I'm in better physical shape Still was a good experience. I learned that a food you normally don't even like becomes extremely tasty when you are very very hungry xD, I also learned that low-carb raw vegetables are not filling at all.

By the way I've also come across some research on fasting, and enemas (awkward I know...) anyways I am convinced that while doing a fast (especially a long one) its very important to do large enemas to flush out some of the toxins that are escaping into your colon so they aren't reabsorbed. It's supposed to decrease some of the unpleasant parts of fasting as well. I know this is a grim topic but I figure since its about health and fasting, might be good to share.

I'm going to stay on track with eating as natural, organic and healthy as possible, and slowly switching over to raw-diet as well. I think once my body gets used to eating this extremely healthy foods, I will be less toxic, stronger, have better self-control, and be able to do a fast more successfully. Also would help me if I were living alone, without food being offered to me.

Anyways props to anyone who can do a fast! It takes a lot of discipline.

Last edited by Misery16226; 03-29-2011 at 05:30 PM.