Notices

Fasting

Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
Yep this is the exact structure. I usually do it Thursday and Sunday or just Sunday.

When I fast I just mentally accept that I am not eating because I am fasting, if I do get any hunger pains which is very rare, they go away in less than a few minutes.

If you are sincerely interested in fasting for weight loss and possibly as a lifestyle for good health check out the book Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon.
Thanks Jason

I had been looking online at eat stop eat. Don't really fancy paying for opinions. I presume it has diet information in there too?

That's the only part I'd be interested in so if you want to share it with me I'd be forever in your debt
Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

The book is a research based overview of how fasting effects the body and metabolism. If you want the information in the book I suggest you buy it.

Brad Pilon basically preaches simplicity in the book. There is food but not a laid out diet plan. If that is what you want I cannot help you.

That is all I will share.

P.S. If you want badly enough to lose the weight, you have to put in your own time and resources to find whats best for you.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
The book is a research based overview of how fasting effects the body and metabolism. If you want the information in the book I suggest you buy it.

Brad Pilon basically preaches simplicity in the book. There is food but not a laid out diet plan. If that is what you want I cannot help you.

That is all I will share.

P.S. If you want badly enough to lose the weight, you have to put in your own time and resources to find whats best for you.
Fair enough!!

Another thing on fasting, I know people suggest it is a water only fast, what are the implications of drinking green tea whilst doing this and also chewing gum?!?

I'm trying to give up smoking so the gum (not nicorete, just normal) helps.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

Green tea and gum should not interrupt the fast. Avoid food items and drinks with calories like soda, juice and specialty coffees.

I remember reading that anything around 15-20 calories is fine, like creamer for your coffee or diet soda. No solid foods.

Last edited by midwestj; 01-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 PM
FitDay Member

Nice one Jason
Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

For a short term fast I think those things should be fine. If you go longer, you'll likely find that you can no longer stomach them and/or stand the taste. Also, they may set off hunger pangs, as artificial sweetners are known to do.

As I think I mentioned, I drank black coffee for a while on my first long fast--I probably also chewed some sugarless gum/mints. For the best experience, though, I think just simply going to water is the best bet.

Of course, to each his/her own--try it and see what works--make adjustments as neccessary.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 AM
FitDay Member

Cheers Michael

I've not eaten during day 2 times now but gorged a bit when getting home, also I drunk this weekend so I assume the 3lbs I lost last week will be back on this time tomorrow, so to smash a positive week next week I'll start my fast after my steak and veg dinner tonight and see through til at least friday evening. Also no booze this week.

Fingers crossed eh!?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by GDay2011
Cheers Michael

I've not eaten during day 2 times now but gorged a bit when getting home, also I drunk this weekend so I assume the 3lbs I lost last week will be back on this time tomorrow, so to smash a positive week next week I'll start my fast after my steak and veg dinner tonight and see through til at least friday evening. Also no booze this week.

Fingers crossed eh!?
No booze!

Ha ha--yeah, I've had to scale WAY back--just too many calories, and it keeps the liver busy with the alcohol instead of processessing fat. Plus, I found out the hard way that losing 100+ pounds will cut way back on your tolerance. Drank two half gallons of my favorite micro brew at camp back in November, started the third and the next thing I knew I was face down on the table.

Three days should be good--really about the shortest fasts I've done were around a week. I know Jason is right into the 24 hour thing (I know, I know, it's not "one meal a day") and I see the merit in that, but with all due respect, doesn't seem like "real" fasting, if you see what I mean.

Let us know how it goes--you just might feel so good you want to keep going.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco

Three days should be good--really about the shortest fasts I've done were around a week. I know Jason is right into the 24 hour thing (I know, I know, it's not "one meal a day") and I see the merit in that, but with all due respect, doesn't seem like "real" fasting, if you see what I mean.
Michael that reminds me of when people say light beer isn't real beer lol.

I can see what you mean, but fasting for only 24 hours at a time is easy to fit in your life. I am unsure of how long fasts would or would not fit into a busy active life, but I know its not for me. But I certainly can get all the benefits of fasting without burning out on it or having it interfere with my life by fasting for short periods of time.

Fasting is simply choosing to abstain from food for a predetermined period of time.

The fasting I practice is a long term plan for fat loss and weight management. It is not a kick start to a weight loss diet, it is not a detox procedure, it is not a journey of self discovery. It is just a simple method of creating a weekly calorie deficit that has a low overhead cost.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I keep thinking I should pop back into this thread, but I don't really have anything substantive to add. I am, however, totally entertained by the conversation. You guys seem like much more disciplined eaters (or periodic non-eaters) than I could ever be. Not that I over eat much, nor do I make really bad choices, but do tend to be a kind of "what's for dinner tonight?" kinda of girl. Luckily I love fresh foods simply prepared and both the husband and I are great cooks. My fasts have to be well planned and prepared for, as noted earlier. But I guess that actually describes most of my life, come to think of it .

I hear you about the booze consumption with a smaller body mass. After I loss 35lbs (20% of my body mass) during which I pretty much abstained from alcohol, we celebrated with a glass or 2 of a great chardonay with apps, and split a bottle of shiraz with a perfectly prepared steak - I don't remember the rest of the evening, but I hear it was great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.