Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Churchton, Md
Posts: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to Deblgallagher80
Default Special K Diet??

I just wondered if anyone has tryed this diet and what they thought of it. I was thinking of trying it but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks
Deb
Deblgallagher80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deblgallagher80 View Post
I just wondered if anyone has tryed this diet and what they thought of it. I was thinking of trying it but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks
Deb
I like Special K, though not the kind with the nasty "red" berries in it--yuck!

What is the diet? Special K and skim milk for breakfast would be good, if you're not avoiding carbs.

Regards,
Michael
__________________
47 M 5'8"

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 57
Default

Special K is filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup and other unpronouncable products.

It is not as healthy as they market it to be.

Fill your plate with proteins and green leafy veggies. Your body will thank you for it.
Primal-Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Lizzycritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 687
Default

It's a nice easy fix, but for me anyway, it wouldn't be maintainable in the long run. 2 bowls of cereal and a sensible dinner would quickly turn into 2 bowls of cereal and a late night binge. Might shed a few pounds but it doesn't teach you to eat healthy as a way of life.
__________________
If I keep starting over, eventually it will stick, right?

Starting weight:182
Current weight: 140
Goal weight: 135
Lizzycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deblgallagher80 View Post
I just wondered if anyone has tryed this diet and what they thought of it. I was thinking of trying it but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks
Deb
The question to ask yourself before starting any plan is...........

"Can I eat like this for the rest of my life?"
Primal-Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,053
Default

I agree with Lizzy-Critter and Primal-Lionness 100%. It's a quick fix, not a long term solution. Primal Lionness nailed it with her question IMO.
canary52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
BodyForLifeMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal-Lioness View Post
Special K is filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup and other unpronouncable products.

It is not as healthy as they market it to be.

Fill your plate with proteins and green leafy veggies. Your body will thank you for it.


Yup it also has BHT in it as well! It will never cross my lips again.
BodyForLifeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 205
Default

Agreed! How does someone even live off of 2 bowls of cereal and one real meal? I'd be soooo hungry! Not to mention that it doesn't seem very smart to eat your biggest meal at the end of the day (dinner)...

My cereal guidelines are as follows:
-ingredients list whole grains (preferebly early in the list)
-at least 3g of protein
-the carb to sugar ratio should be 4:1 or less (meaning if there are 24 of carbs, there shouldn't be more than 6g of sugar; although I usually keep my sugar content below 5g anyway)
-at least 5g of fiber
-sodium under 200mg
-no hydrogenated oils, artificial colors or chemical preservatives

Lately I love grape nuts. They have a very satisfying nutty crunch. Eaten with warmed milk and berries is fantastic, or mixed into yogurt.
wannabefitgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Special K is alright as an occasional breakfast, but I agree that it's no way to live or even to do short term to drop a few pounds. I do like the "Chocolate Delight" variety, and have used it to quiet a chocolate craving, but to use day in and day out? No thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefitgrl View Post
Agreed! How does someone even live off of 2 bowls of cereal and one real meal? I'd be soooo hungry! Not to mention that it doesn't seem very smart to eat your biggest meal at the end of the day (dinner)...

My cereal guidelines are as follows:
-ingredients list whole grains (preferebly early in the list)
-at least 3g of protein
-the carb to sugar ratio should be 4:1 or less (meaning if there are 24 of carbs, there shouldn't be more than 6g of sugar; although I usually keep my sugar content below 5g anyway)
-at least 5g of fiber
-sodium under 200mg
-no hydrogenated oils, artificial colors or chemical preservatives

Lately I love grape nuts. They have a very satisfying nutty crunch. Eaten with warmed milk and berries is fantastic, or mixed into yogurt.
I liked your post and agreed with it until you got to the Grape Nuts part, Grape Nuts isn't food, it's aggregate. Yuck. I buy them for the DH, but would prefer to starve to death before I would put them in my mouth - seriously.
__________________
Starting weight: 244.6 lbs. 10/01/09
Pounds lost: 80.6 lbs
Current weight: 164 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Kathy13118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,155
Smile

Good thing would be to stop demonizing foods... high fructose corn syrup is basically sugar. If you're not eating sugar or trying to cut it out of your diet, then sure, don't eat something that has high fructose corn syrup in it.

Grape Nuts? If you like 'em, eat 'em. All dieting is managing your intake of calories. If you can work a bowl of Grape Nuts into your calories for the day, go for it!

There aren't any foods - none - that are magic and going to make your body lose weight. Your brain, your ability to look at the bottom line on the food page of fitday.com, is going to be the best thing you use for a diet. Nothing else. Nothing.
Kathy13118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2