Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Special K Diet?? >

Special K Diet??

Community
Notices

Special K Diet??

Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I have to agree with Almeeker on Grape Nuts. When I was little, I thought they were roasted grape seeds. It's what they look and taste like IMO. I also agree on demonizing high fructose corn syrup. It's over processed, over sweetened foods IN GENERAL that are bad, not corn syrup in particular. Corn syrup is cheaper than sugar, so food manufacuturers use it when they can to cut cost, period. Nobody debates the merits of cane sugar vs beet sugar, why is corn sugar any different?

As for the Special K diet, Slim Fast, or any "meal replacement" plan, I think they all suck. You learn nothing about how to live healthy for the rest of your life, these plans end eventually, and you gain all the weight back because you haven't learned or changed a thing. Not to mention feeling deprived and starved while you're on it.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
As for the Special K diet, Slim Fast, or any "meal replacement" plan, I think they all suck. You learn nothing about how to live healthy for the rest of your life, these plans end eventually, and you gain all the weight back because you haven't learned or changed a thing. Not to mention feeling deprived and starved while you're on it.
I totally agree with you Lizzy. I made the best intention to try Slim Fast, bought 4 different flavours of ready made shakes to see which one suits me - choc, cafe latte, summer strawbery and vanilla. Choc one was making me sick, cafe latte tastes like watered down glue (i had most hopes for this one) strawberry and vanilla are still unopened.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I'm generally with Lizzie on this one, too. Special K is kind of a nutritional wasteland, even if it is fairly low in calories. The high protein stuff is a little better, but there are better ways to get nutrition, IMO. And better ways to eat for life.

I avoid HFCS as well as processed foods to the greatest extent possible. Of course, completely avoiding them is impossible; I have made my own bread and granola and granola bars, but I don't have the time to do that on a regular basis; don't make my own pasta, etc. But I try to eat and cook with stuff as simply as possible, and buy stuff with as few ingredients as possible.

I do like Grape Nuts, though. I don't eat them often, but I do like them in warmed with milk or even with applesauce!

The Great Grape Nut Debate; I love it!